Author Topic: Flag flap: confederate flag controversy keeps students from attending commenceme  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Flag flap: confederate flag controversy keeps students from attending commencement

They say they're just "good ol' boys" who, like the song goes, were "never meaning no harm." But three Bloomington Kennedy seniors were not allowed to attend their commencement Wednesday night after bringing a Confederate flag to school on Tuesday.

"We're all big fans of the Dukes of Hazard," said Dan Fredin, who was suspended, along with Joe Snyder and Justin Thompson. "It's just us showing we have our own style and we aren't going to conform to whatever anyone else thinks."

School officials say at least one of the students waved and carried the flag in the parking lot.

The boys argue they never took the flags off their trucks, but they admit they brought them to the school.

Officials asked the students to remove the flags. Eventually, all three students were suspended for three days -- which, in this case, included graduation.

Officials say a Student Code of Conduct prohibits behavior that may provoke or offend other students.

"We are very clear that the Confederate flag is a symbol of hatred, bigotry and racism," said Rick Kaufman, the Executive Director of Community Relations at Bloomington Kennedy High School.

*snip*

Meantime, the American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota said the students would likely not have a case in court.

"If the authorities can make the claim that the presence of the flag can reasonably disrupt the educational process than they can censor it," said Charles Samuelson with the ACLU of Minnesota.

The three students will still receive their diplomas. Already they have plans for next year, which for two of them, includes serving in the U.S. military.

MORE

"We are very clear that the Confederate flag is a symbol of hatred, bigotry and racism"
  Excuse me???  Been reading those DNC useful idiot manuals again?  A$$hat!

And yeah, we didn't really expect the aclu to do squat.   :whatever:

:banghead:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
What about this flag?

:whatever:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

What about this flag?

:whatever:
It also offends liberals, but then I can't think of anything that doesn't offend liberals.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

Lesbians kissing in the hallways offends my daughter, but that's allowed to happen.  :loser: :whatever:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Idjits.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

Lesbians kissing in the hallways offends my daughter, but that's allowed to happen.  :loser: :whatever:

That's just because your daughter is a "bigoted, intolerant homophobe", and deserves to be offended.  Come to think of it, she was probably indoctrinated that way by you, so that would make YOU a bigoted, intolerant homophobe too...

Offline Willow

• Limousine
We are very clear that the Confederate flag is a symbol of hatred, bigotry and racism,"

wonder what Flag that Obamalama's church in Chicargo flies?

Offline djones520

That's just because your daughter is a "bigoted, intolerant homophobe", and deserves to be offended.  Come to think of it, she was probably indoctrinated that way by you, so that would make YOU a bigoted, intolerant homophobe too...

A really close friend of mine is a huge flaming lib.  Well, a few months back, I saw some joke story about an American having a shitting contest with an Indian, because he was sick and tired of that guy destroying the bathroom with his foul odors.  Having lived in Japan for 7 years, I'll be the first to attest that some of the food that these people eat on this side of the world just leaves some god befouled odors.

Quite frankly, the story was stupid, but funny in the description of the shit-capades, so I emailed it out to all of my friends.  I get this reply from her with her raising a storm about by intolerant racism.  She said she didn't blame me for it though, because she knew that the military has just brainwashed me to think that way.   :lmao:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
We had a few kids get into trouble for flying Confeerate flags on their pickups a few years ago for homecoming.  Ironic thing is, we are the Turner County Rebels.  Go figure.  If it pisses off one black, it must stop.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Airwolf

We are very clear that the Confederate flag is a symbol of hatred, bigotry and racism,"

I'm thinking this one.

MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Willow

• Limousine

I'm thinking this one.

edumacate me!

Offline Airwolf

Thats the flag of Iran. I mean since he seems to love wanting to talk to Imawhackjob so badly.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
I'd expect such ignorance and intolerance from one of the bastions of Liberalism known as Minnesota. They don't have a clue as to the TRUE meaning of the Confederate flag, nor do they want to learn. I saw many trucks with a Confederate flag in their rear windows up there. And, yes, in MN, it's probably considered "racist" because mostly white supremacists use MY flag in vain and out of context.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson