Author Topic: The Mark Steyn show trial begins  (Read 548 times)

Offline bijou

The Mark Steyn show trial begins
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:24:51 AM »

Mark Steyn, perhaps the greatest conservative wit since P. J. O'Rourke, is currently facing a grotesque show trial in Canada for offending radical Islamic groups with a controversial magazine article he wrote two years ago. In the article, an excerpt from his book America Alone, Steyn predicted that mass immigration to Europe of unreconstructed Muslims would eventually mean a continent looking more like the Islamic world in its political outlook and the liberties of its citizens. Consequently, Steyn and the magazine are now facing a Human Rights tribunal in which:

Under Section 7.1 ... innocent intent is not a defence, nor is truth, nor is fair comment or the public interest, nor is good faith or responsible journalism.
The prosecution got off to a flying start by explaining that "free speech is a red herring".

As well as for Steyn and the magazine Macleans, one can feel for decent Canadians generally. John O'Sullivan has described vividly how different a country Canada was in living memory:

The ongoing tribunal is being liveblogged by Macleans in an account well worth reading.

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/centreright/2008/06/the-steyn-show.html#more

I'm ashamed to say I'd missed this story, I look forward to reading Mark's account of it afterwards. Hope he beats the trumped up charges.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: The Mark Steyn show trial begins
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:54:28 AM »
When it states in your Articles and by-laws that the truth is not a valid defense...your screwed from jump street.

Steyn is having to defend himself in a country that is already allowing separate Sharia Law courts for muslims.

It's gonna be up hill both ways for him.

I wish him luck.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Happy Fun Ball