Author Topic: War of 1812 naval relic still stored in New York shed  (Read 303 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
War of 1812 naval relic still stored in New York shed
« on: December 31, 2012, 05:24:53 AM »
Mods, if you feel that this belongs in the Military Discussion, please move it.

War of 1812 naval relic still stored in New York shed

Published December 30, 2012
Associated Press
ALBANY, N.Y. –  The upstate New York village that bills itself as the birthplace of the U.S. Navy hasn't done much to preserve one of the service's oldest warship relics: the hull of a schooner that was the first in a long line of American vessels to carry the name Ticonderoga.

The wooden remains of the War of 1812 ship are displayed in a long, open-sided shed on the grounds of the Skenesborough Museum in Whitehall. They've been stored there since being raised from the southern end of Lake Champlain by a local historical group more than 50 years ago. Now, with the approach of 200th anniversary of the battle at which the first Ticonderoga gained its fame, a maritime historian is hoping something can be done to stem the deterioration of a rare naval artifact.

"It was recovered for all the right reasons but before we knew all the implications of a shipwreck and bringing it up into an air environment," said Arthur Cohn, senior adviser and special projects developer at the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum in Vergennes, Vt.

Cohn has suggested to museum officials that the hull needs be stored in an enclosed, climate-controlled building with interpretive displays telling the vessel's story. But the museum's director said such a project would be cost-prohibitive for her organization and for Whitehall, a village of 3,000 65 miles northeast of Albany on the Vermont border.

"That would take more money than anyone in the village of Whitehall could put together," Carol Greenough said.

Carl's a lot closer to this than I am.  Do you know anything about this, Carl?

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/30/war-1812-naval-relic-still-stored-in-new-york-shed/?test=latestnews#ixzz2GczUMDJc
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: War of 1812 naval relic still stored in New York shed
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:41:27 AM »
This looks like a National Treasure.  Why has the  Smithsonion  not taken notice ????

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »
My G-G-Grandfather fought, along with other volunteers, in the War of 1812 in New Orleans. I would be interested if anybody could put together an effort to protect and maintain this vessel. I'd be willing to contribute money in an effort.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »
I have been past there many times without ever stopping. But history oozes everywhere in upstate NY.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"