Author Topic: It's not good to talk: Bottling up emotions can ease trauma  (Read 636 times)

Offline bijou

Our stiff upper lip has often led to us been regarded as cold and unfeeling.

A study of thousands of Americans carried out in the wake of the 9/11 bombings found that those who kept their feelings in fared better than those who spoke openly about their fears.

In other words, far from it being good to talk, it is better to keep things bottled up.

Researcher Dr Mark Seery said the finding contradicted the modern-day mantra that shows of emotion are critical in getting over crises.

He said: 'We should be telling people there is likely nothing wrong if they do not want to express their thoughts and feelings after experiencing a collective trauma.

'In fact, they can cope quite successfully, and according to our results, are likely to be better off than someone who does want to express his or her feelings.'

Dr Seery, an expert in the psychology of stress, sent an email to more 2,000 men and women just hours after the World Trade Centre attacks of September 11, 2001, asking them to share their thoughts 'on the shocking events of today'.

All were already taking part in research being carried out by the university.

Although everyone got the email, only three-quarters chose to reply, the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology reports.

Dr Seery, from the University at Buffalo in New York State, then regularly recontacted them all over the next two years, requesting details of their health.

To his surprise, he found those who had bottled up their feelings were better off, suffering fewer mental and physical problems than those who had let it all out.

Worst off - with the poorest health - were those who had shared the most about their feelings.

link

So all those counsellors drafted in after every serious incident seem to be counter-productive.

Offline Lauri

Re: It's not good to talk: Bottling up emotions can ease trauma
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »
did you see that article recently about 'smiling causes more distress' ... or something akin to that.

i swear, the media was a cartoon a few years ago... now its just downright embarassing.

Offline bijou

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:29:09 PM »
did you see that article recently about 'smiling causes more distress' ... or something akin to that.

i swear, the media was a cartoon a few years ago... now its just downright embarassing.
I missed that, but the newspaper I got this from has been running an 'don't drink bottled water' campaign to save the environment (we are supposed to ask for tap water in restaurants etc)  :whatever: and today they have a story about tapwater being dangerous for pregnant women and their babies, yet they never referred to their own campaign. 

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 03:11:10 PM »

I missed that, but the newspaper I got this from has been running an 'don't drink bottled water' campaign to save the environment (we are supposed to ask for tap water in restaurants etc)  :whatever: and today they have a story about tapwater being dangerous for pregnant women and their babies, yet they never referred to their own campaign. 

and to think we fund all these 'studies' with our tax dollars... i want my money back.