Author Topic: A question about repealing 0bamacare?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
A question about repealing 0bamacare?
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:31:18 PM »
Let's say that we win big in Nov, we have the house, the senate, and the white house. In Jan would the Republican controlled senate be able to reach into the garbage can where Harry Reid placed the repeal bill and vote on that bill and send it to president Romney to sign? Or would we have to start all over again?

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Re: A question about repealing 0bamacare?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:34:08 PM »
New congress, so pretty sure they're starting from scratch. Though with both houses and the WH, I don't see that being much of an obstacle.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »
New congress, so pretty sure they're starting from scratch. Though with both houses and the WH, I don't see that being much of an obstacle.

I don't either, but I was curious as to whether they could take up the passed bill and go from there.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
I don't either, but I was curious as to whether they could take up the passed bill and go from there.

Best answer I've found.

Bills have to be passed by both houses in the same congress to become law, so bills not passed by the Senate before the session ends will have to be re-introduced in the 112th Congress. The time the current House spent passing them this time will have been wasted, and they will have to wait months to go through the process again (assuming they are re-introduced at all).

Open Congress
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »
Best answer I've found.

Open Congress

Cool thanks I was too lazy to google it.  :-)

I suspected that we would have to start all over again, but I wasn't sure.
If it was a stupid question I apologize, but the thought crossed my mind.

If Romney wanted to be slimey like 0bama he could simply refuse to enforce the law and wait for congress to repeal it again.  :-)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BigTex

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 10:01:31 PM »
were going to need 60 votes in the senate, that will be the obstacle, getting the votes from the dem senators from red states that will need the political capital to get reelected
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 04:36:41 AM »
were going to need 60 votes in the senate, that will be the obstacle, getting the votes from the dem senators from red states that will need the political capital to get reelected

No, we won't.  Lately, it's come out that since Obamacare was passed under the reconciliation process, which requires only 51 votes to pass a spending bill, so only 51 votes are going to be needed to repeal it.  Dingy Harry will try to change Senate rules to alter that, but the rules only apply to that particular Congress--i.e., they change every two years.  So, Dingy Harry and the Dems can change them, but they will be changed right back in 2013.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:08:38 AM »
No, we won't.  Lately, it's come out that since Obamacare was passed under the reconciliation process, which requires only 51 votes to pass a spending bill, so only 51 votes are going to be needed to repeal it.  Dingy Harry will try to change Senate rules to alter that, but the rules only apply to that particular Congress--i.e., they change every two years.  So, Dingy Harry and the Dems can change them, but they will be changed right back in 2013.

And the best part of all is:

When Roberts got the liberals of the SCOTUS to agree with him that the mandate was a tax he sealed ObamaCoups fate as a budgetary item. The liberals cannot claim we need 60 votes because they used 52 votes and they celebrated the SCOTUS decision that affirmed their action.

Even when liberals think they're being clever they're still idiots setting themselves up for failure.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »
My question would be: Why should a bill totaling one page (really one sentence: "The Affordable Care Act of 2010 is hereby repealed and all provisions are null and void.") take that long to get through? I would think that would be official item #2 in both houses the first day of business, so that it would be waiting on Romney's desk when he walks into the office.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 01:29:49 PM »
My question would be: Why should a bill totaling one page (really one sentence: "The Affordable Care Act of 2010 is hereby repealed and all provisions are null and void.") take that long to get through? I would think that would be official item #2 in both houses the first day of business, so that it would be waiting on Romney's desk when he walks into the office.
The owebuma care act was literally ramrodded through, and look how long that took.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »

Or by Romney's executive order. blammo did it all the time.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »
Or by Romney's executive order. blammo did it all the time.

Let's not legitamize rule by diktat.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
Let's not legitamize rule by diktat.

No, but Romney should use EOs to cancel the EO's and other directives that Obama put through without congress.   Things like not having the DOiJ defend DOMA, the partial DREAM/Amnesty act.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
No, but Romney should use EOs to cancel the EO's and other directives that Obama put through without congress.   Things like not having the DOiJ defend DOMA, the partial DREAM/Amnesty act.

And he COULD put all action to implement Obamacare on indefinite hold "pending repeal legislation", but it would be better to have the bill voted on and approved on 21 Jan 2013, ready for signature.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »

Concur

Offline BigTex

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »
No, we won't.  Lately, it's come out that since Obamacare was passed under the reconciliation process, which requires only 51 votes to pass a spending bill, so only 51 votes are going to be needed to repeal it.  Dingy Harry will try to change Senate rules to alter that, but the rules only apply to that particular Congress--i.e., they change every two years.  So, Dingy Harry and the Dems can change them, but they will be changed right back in 2013.

only certain parts of obamacare can be repealed with reconciliation, we will need 60 votes to get the most harmful parts removed
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 07:05:30 AM »
only certain parts of obamacare can be repealed with reconciliation, we will need 60 votes to get the most harmful parts removed

The whole thing has been called a "tax" by SCOTUS.  That means that the whole thing can be repealed by 51 votes.  (Yes, I changed my argument, but the final result is still the same.  51 votes in the Senate and it's gone.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »
The whole thing has been called a "tax" by SCOTUS.  That means that the whole thing can be repealed by 51 votes.  (Yes, I changed my argument, but the final result is still the same.  51 votes in the Senate and it's gone.)

Only the mandate was called a tax

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 11:01:11 AM »
Only the mandate was called a tax

Severability, or the lack thereof, says that if one part goes, the whole thing goes.  The whole thing is going in January of 2013.

Chase her.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »
Severability, or the lack thereof, says that if one part goes, the whole thing goes.  The whole thing is going in January of 2013.

Severability only has to due when a court strikes down a law, it doesnt apply to repealing

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
The mandate is the tax but the collection and disbursement of revenue is budgetary. You can write a law for anything but absent the money to actually do anything its pointless. How would ObamaCoup work is congress simply refused to salary the hordes of bureaucrats or to reimburse medical providers?

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »
Could a horde of bureaucrats bring down an horde of Visigoths ? I often wondered that.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Undies

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 12:52:49 PM »
What if we just ignore the law known as obamacare?  We ignore lots of laws.  No one in Dallas has a companion walk in front of their horseless carriage waving a lit lantern as they drive through town.  It is the law, though.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »
The reconciliation is what passed owebumacare, reconciliation can repeal it.