Author Topic: Breed Specific Laws. For or Against  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Breed Specific Laws. For or Against
« on: April 25, 2008, 10:58:26 AM »
I've been looking a some threads on this subject on another forum, bulldogbreeds.com.  I'm sure you can guess where the posters there stand on this.  But judging from other posts, they would get eaten alive here.  That's why I keep politics over here, but I think this is a good poll to ask of the CaveDwellers.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Breed Specific Laws. For or Against
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:01:43 AM »
Oh, this isn't about people??

Well, nevermind!!!  :lmao: :evillaugh:

Okay, in all seriousness, I would have to see data to back up the claims of preventing more attacks. I know that at one time, my MIL couldn't get homeowner's insurance in Louisiana (she inherited a house there) because her brother owned a Rottie.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:05:13 AM »
I think irresponsible owners are irreponsible no matter the type of animal they have. This gets back to my cell phone discussion with free. You can't micro legislate in a free society. This would fall under microlegislation to me and penalizes the many many owners who raise, breed, and love dogs like this with absolutely no incident.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 11:07:56 AM »
I think irresponsible owners are irreponsible no matter the type of animal they have. This gets back to my cell phone discussion with free. You can't micro legislate in a free society. This would fall under microlegislation to me and penalizes the many many owners who raise, breed, and love dogs like this with absolutely no incident.
H5.
As with people, how they turn out depends on how they are raised. Moonbat parents usually tend to have moonbat kids.  Conservative parents usually have normal, functioning children who contribute to society in a positive way.   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:16:17 AM »
Exactly, I have an AmStaff.  My parents ahve a Dobe that is turned a year old this month and already weighs 81lbs.   I'vealways had Dobe's since the early nineties until my new girl.  Never a problem.  I can see doing away with a vicious individual dog and punishing the hell out of the owner, but not the whole breed.  If we thought that way with people......nevermind.

My wife Aunt had 2 Rotties that were getting old.  There yard was fenced in with an electric gate, a strand of electric fence around the bottom and beware of dog signs all the way around their property.  A friend of hers was bringing her little girl over to see Deb's miniature horses.  She called to say they were coming, but no one was home.  She knew the dogs were there, and went through the gate anyway.  The little girl went running down to where the horses were and one of the dogs went after her and mauled her, he was going blind due to age.  She was DOA.  Deb has had mini strokes and has went through a severe depression snce that time.  The dog was put down, even though the Humane Society was harassing them for doing it.  

I told my wife I didn't know how I'd feel in that situation about putting my dog down.  He was there to protect the property, and in his mind that's what he was doing.  I also don't know that I could go out every morning and feed a dog I knew had killed a child.  One thing I did know though was that if blame were to be placed anywhere, I would place it swquarely on the shoulder of the mother who knew of the dangers yet put her child there anyway.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 11:22:03 AM »
Exactly, I have an AmStaff.  My parents ahve a Dobe that is turned a year old this month and already weighs 81lbs.   I'vealways had Dobe's since the early nineties until my new girl.  Never a problem.  I can see doing away with a vicious individual dog and punishing the hell out of the owner, but not the whole breed.  If we thought that way with people......nevermind.

My wife Aunt had 2 Rotties that were getting old.  There yard was fenced in with an electric gate, a strand of electric fence around the bottom and beware of dog signs all the way around their property.  A friend of hers was bringing her little girl over to see Deb's miniature horses.  She called to say they were coming, but no one was home.  She knew the dogs were there, and went through the gate anyway.  The little girl went running down to where the horses were and one of the dogs went after her and mauled her, he was going blind due to age.  She was DOA.  Deb has had mini strokes and has went through a severe depression snce that time.  The dog was put down, even though the Humane Society was harassing them for doing it. 

I told my wife I didn't know how I'd feel in that situation about putting my dog down.  He was there to protect the property, and in his mind that's what he was doing.  I also don't know that I could go out every morning and feed a dog I knew had killed a child.  One thing I did know though was that if blame were to be placed anywhere, I would place it swquarely on the shoulder of the mother who knew of the dangers yet put her child there anyway.

I've specifically known people with bulldogs, Dobes, and shephards. Every last one of those were like babies in how they behaved. All good dogs...never an incident. Every one of those dogs though were not abused in any way, nor were they neglected.

Bottom line though aside from that is that I don't believe in microlegislation. With freedom comes a certain level of trust in individuals and if they break that trust, that is what our justice system is for in that case.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 11:26:51 AM »
Exactly, I have an AmStaff.  My parents ahve a Dobe that is turned a year old this month and already weighs 81lbs.   I'vealways had Dobe's since the early nineties until my new girl.  Never a problem.  I can see doing away with a vicious individual dog and punishing the hell out of the owner, but not the whole breed.  If we thought that way with people......nevermind.

My wife Aunt had 2 Rotties that were getting old.  There yard was fenced in with an electric gate, a strand of electric fence around the bottom and beware of dog signs all the way around their property.  A friend of hers was bringing her little girl over to see Deb's miniature horses.  She called to say they were coming, but no one was home.  She knew the dogs were there, and went through the gate anyway.  The little girl went running down to where the horses were and one of the dogs went after her and mauled her, he was going blind due to age.  She was DOA.  Deb has had mini strokes and has went through a severe depression snce that time.  The dog was put down, even though the Humane Society was harassing them for doing it. 

I told my wife I didn't know how I'd feel in that situation about putting my dog down.  He was there to protect the property, and in his mind that's what he was doing.  I also don't know that I could go out every morning and feed a dog I knew had killed a child.  One thing I did know though was that if blame were to be placed anywhere, I would place it swquarely on the shoulder of the mother who knew of the dangers yet put her child there anyway.

I've specifically known people with bulldogs, Dobes, and shephards. Every last one of those were like babies in how they behaved. All good dogs...never an incident. Every one of those dogs though were not abused in any way, nor were they neglected.

Bottom line though aside from that is that I don't believe in microlegislation. With freedom comes a certain level of trust in individuals and if they break that trust, that is what our justice system is for in that case.
That will earn you H5.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 11:29:29 AM »

That will earn you H5.

:cheersmate:

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 02:37:31 PM »
Who could ban that face?

Offline Lauri

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 02:46:27 PM »
i think it just depends on the dog. we've had mostly goldens, but the only dog ive ever had to put down was a little sheltie who was the runt of the litter with a really agressive/mean streak in her from the get go.

ive never spent more on a dog trying to figure out what made her behave so badly and bark so much, but once a new baby came, we just could never take the chance with the dog. so, she had to be put down, which i think is the only responsible thing to do with aggressive dogs.

but ive known the most lovable rottweilers and dobies and they can be amazing family dogs if the owners are good with them.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »
i think it just depends on the dog. we've had mostly goldens, but the only dog ive ever had to put down was a little sheltie who was the runt of the litter with a really agressive/mean streak in her from the get go.

ive never spent more on a dog trying to figure out what made her behave so badly and bark so much, but once a new baby came, we just could never take the chance with the dog. so, she had to be put down, which i think is the only responsible thing to do with aggressive dogs.

but ive known the most lovable rottweilers and dobies and they can be amazing family dogs if the owners are good with them.
The key is firm discipline when they're puppies.  My sister had a Rottie that in the winter bulked up to 140lbs., but if with drew back to pop him on the nose he'd tuck his nub and run.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 02:55:28 PM »
Fatalities during 1997 and 1998—During 1997
and 1998, at least 27 people died as the result of dog
bite attacks (18 people in 1997 and 9 in 1998). Of 27
human DBRF, 19 (70%) were children (1 was ≤ 30 days
old, 3 were between 7 and 11 months old, 9 were
between 1 and 4 years old, and 6 were between 5 and
11 years old), and 8 were adults (ages 17, 44, 64, 70,
73, 75, 75, and 87). Approximately half (n = 15 [56%])
of the human DBRF were male.
Five (19%) deaths involved unrestrained dogs off
the owners’ property, 18 (67%) involved unrestrained
dogs on the owners’ property, 3 (11%) involved
restrained dogs on the owners’ property, and 1 (4%)
involved a restrained dog off the owner’s property.
Eighteen (67%) deaths involved 1 dog, 5 (19%)
involved 2 dogs, and 4 (15%) involved 3 dogs. Sixty
percent of attacks by unrestrained dogs off the owners’
property involved more than 1 dog.
Fatal attacks were reported from 17 states
(California [4 deaths]; Georgia and North Carolina [3
each]; Kansas, Texas, and Wisconsin [2 each]; and
Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New York, South
Dakota, and Tennessee [1 each]).
Some breed information was reported for all 27
attacks. As in recent years, Rottweilers were the most
commonly reported breed involved in fatal attacks, followed
by pit bull-type dogs (Table 1). Together, these
2 breeds were involved in approximately 60% of
human deaths.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf

(emphasis added)
Res Ipsa Loquater, folks.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 03:11:13 PM »

Should we enact legislation?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 03:53:54 PM »

Should we enact legislation?
People are not chattel.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 06:43:41 PM »

The key is firm discipline when they're puppies.  My sister had a Rottie that in the winter bulked up to 140lbs., but if with drew back to pop him on the nose he'd tuck his nub and run.
I had 110lb male Rottie who was just a big ole baby. Curled up in my lap. :-) The little 5lb ankle nipper we had was worse!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lauri

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »

I had 110lb male Rottie who was just a big ole baby. Curled up in my lap. :-) The little 5lb ankle nipper we had was worse!

yeah, the husband and i have a deal: no small dogs ever again. we love the big pooches...