Author Topic: Behar: Saints Were Actually Psychotic  (Read 4460 times)

Offline jendf

Behar: Saints Were Actually Psychotic
« on: January 10, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
Saints were psychotic and advances in modern medicine have essentially wiped them off the planet. That's "the view" of comedian Joy Behar, as expressed on national television Wednesday.

Whether or not Behar was joking, "The View" co-host's remarks sparked a loud debate on and off the program.

Behar got things started by saying: "I have a theory that you can’t find any saints anymore because of psychotropic medication. I think that [in] the old days, the saints were hearing voices and they didn’t have any Thorazine to calm them down.

"Now that we have all of this medication available to us, you can’t find a saint anymore," she said on ABC's daily chatfest.

Click here for a blog post on Behar's comments and to read the transcript

Co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck blasted Behar's theory, noting that the late Mother Teresa, who has not yet been given sainthood, is a modern example of a saint.

Behar mentioned the recently-revealed doubts Mother Teresa struggled with regarding her faith and contended that the Catholic Church’s standards for sainthood have changed due to medical advances.

"That’s why Mother Teresa had issues. Let’s not forget, she didn’t really believe 100 percent like those saints who were hearing voices. She didn’t hear voices," Behar said.

"So the church said ‘OK, she does good deeds. Let’s make her a saint.’

"In the old days it used to be you heard voices. You can’t do that anymore."

More at link

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
Re: Behar: Saints Were Actually Psychotic
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:45:52 AM »
And here we have a stunning example of a person who doesn't have any conception of what constitutes sainthood  :thatsright:

And, as someone who has felt the presence of an angel, I absolutely believe that there are those who truly hear God's voice.  I'm not one of them, but I believe absolutely that they exist.

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 08:50:40 AM »
Joy Behar is a moonbat to the extreme...anti-religious, femminsist bitch.

How there can e anyone who even remotely takes anything she says as legitimate is beyond me.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 08:53:47 AM »
I have a theory....Behar is known as a comedian not because she is intentionally funny, but because she says things that are so stupid in the extreme, that people assume she must be kidding....therefore mistakenly think she's "funny".
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jendf

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
And, as someone who has felt the presence of an angel, I absolutely believe that there are those who truly hear God's voice.  I'm not one of them, but I believe absolutely that they exist.

You've experienced the presence of an angel? Would you mind sharing your story? Maybe in the religious forum. I would love to hear.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:55:22 AM »
JackZip, you stole my thunder.

How people can think "comedians" like Behar and Rosie are funny is just beyond me.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline jendf

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 08:55:33 AM »
How there can e anyone who even remotely takes anything she says as legitimate is beyond me.

Between Behar and Sherri Shepherd's distorted view of history, you've got one giant think tank over there at The View.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 09:01:41 AM »

How people can think "comedians" like Behar and Rosie are funny is just beyond me.
They're both goofey.  :mental:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 09:05:23 AM »

You've experienced the presence of an angel? Would you mind sharing your story? Maybe in the religious forum. I would love to hear.

It is actually a little silly  :shucks:

When I was 9 or 10 I watched a show on TV that really, really freaked me out, and when I went to bed I got scared every time I closed my eyes and I couldn't relax, or sleep.  I started praying really hard, and a few minutes later, I felt an incredibly calming presence next to me and I wasn't scared anymore, and I was able to fall right asleep.  When I felt it there, I immediately thought that it was an angel, so believe that it must have been.

Offline jendf

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 09:07:57 AM »
It is actually a little silly  :shucks:

When I was 9 or 10 I watched a show on TV that really, really freaked me out, and when I went to bed I got scared every time I closed my eyes and I couldn't relax, or sleep.  I started praying really hard, and a few minutes later, I felt an incredibly calming presence next to me and I wasn't scared anymore, and I was able to fall right asleep.  When I felt it there, I immediately thought that it was an angel, so believe that it must have been.

I've had moments like that too. I like to hear about them because when I'm having doubts about my faith (like now), stories like these give me hope.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »
Behar sounds like a bitter old hag. Ugh. I really, really hate that show. I guess she's trying to soak up all of the attention Rosie used to get.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »
What a toad! As for the questioning of faith, that is a normal event and some would even say important in one's spiritual growth. Mother Teresa was a human being after all, but in the end she chose Jesus Christ, despite the fraility of her humanity. Joy seems to equate moments of doubt and questions of faith as outright denial of God...they are NOT the same.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 09:50:29 AM »

ditto!

Offline ccs178

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 07:09:47 PM »
Saints were psychotic and advances in modern medicine have essentially wiped them off the planet. That's "the view" of comedian Joy Behar, as expressed on national television Wednesday.

Whether or not Behar was joking, "The View" co-host's remarks sparked a loud debate on and off the program.

Behar got things started by saying: "I have a theory that you can’t find any saints anymore because of psychotropic medication. I think that [in] the old days, the saints were hearing voices and they didn’t have any Thorazine to calm them down.

"Now that we have all of this medication available to us, you can’t find a saint anymore," she said on ABC's daily chatfest.

Click here for a blog post on Behar's comments and to read the transcript

Co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck blasted Behar's theory, noting that the late Mother Teresa, who has not yet been given sainthood, is a modern example of a saint.

Behar mentioned the recently-revealed doubts Mother Teresa struggled with regarding her faith and contended that the Catholic Church’s standards for sainthood have changed due to medical advances.

"That’s why Mother Teresa had issues. Let’s not forget, she didn’t really believe 100 percent like those saints who were hearing voices. She didn’t hear voices," Behar said.

"So the church said ‘OK, she does good deeds. Let’s make her a saint.’

"In the old days it used to be you heard voices. You can’t do that anymore."

More at link

I passed her on the sidewalk outside my office on West 58th Street in Manhattan once. Yes, she is as ugly in person as she is on television.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 07:13:58 PM »
One good year and they think they are contenders?  And look at how badly Reggie has performed this year.

And don't get me started on Archie Manning.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 08:03:05 AM »

Don't want to sound like a chauvinist here but I don't find many female comedians funny.Can't really explain why.I just don't
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline DaSaintFan

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 11:29:45 AM »
One good year and they think they are contenders?  And look at how badly Reggie has performed this year.

And don't get me started on Archie Manning.

watch it freedumb.. them's fighting words :)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 08:37:38 PM »
Hmmm...Saint Behar of Retard?
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline redwhit

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 09:52:35 PM »
What a toad! As for the questioning of faith, that is a normal event and some would even say important in one's spiritual growth. Mother Teresa was a human being after all, but in the end she chose Jesus Christ, despite the fraility of her humanity. Joy seems to equate moments of doubt and questions of faith as outright denial of God...they are NOT the same.

I agree - most of the saints that I can think of quickly had questions or some sort of conversion event.  If memory serves, even Jesus had doubts.  When will these dolts realize that shocking, blasphemous, and obscene does not necessarily make it funny?