Author Topic: Report: Car Headlights Suspect in Death of White House Adviser's Wife  (Read 851 times)

Offline cavegal

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/08/investigators-reportedly-eye-headlights-ashley-turton-fatal-car/#ixzz1DU3OqHDa

The fatal fire that engulfed the garage of a Washington lobbyist who was found dead in her burning SUV this month may have been caused by the high-intensity headlights of her vehicle, according to a local news report citing homicide investigators.

Investigators have been probing the death of Ashley Turton, a former chief of staff to Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., and the wife of a White House congressional liaison Dan Turton, ever since her body was found Jan. 10 inside her 2008 BMW X5 in southeast Washington.

Authorities determined that the BMW ignited in the garage and damage was confined to that area. Now several sources familiar with the ongoing investigation reportedly told local radio station WTOP that investigators believe the radiator in the BMW was punctured when it rolled into a workbench. The halogen headlights, which emit a bluish light and illuminate the road better than conventional headlights, stayed on after the radiator was punctured.
Ah the old exploding anti-freeze with the headlight routine?....REALLY they are going with that????

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Report: Car Headlights Suspect in Death of White House Adviser's Wife
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »
I hate those stupid blue headlights.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »

Me too.  The ****ers burn my eyes when some asshole who owns them is in approaching traffic.  It beats the crap out of me that insurance companies regard them as a 'Safety feature,' I have to take my eyes off the oncoming traffic when I see them coming, and it's not like you can suddenly pull across two lanes at 70 mph and park until the dickwad that owns them passes.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:49:42 PM »
Err......the 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and water used in an auto radiator won't "burn" at anywhere near the temperatures generated by even a halogen lamp.........

I'd be more convinced if the article stated that the workbench punctured the portion of the radiator used as a transmission fluid cooler.....

This is basically BS.

doc

"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »

They look like high beam lights.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 02:51:52 PM »
Err......the 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and water used in an auto radiator won't "burn" at anywhere near the temperatures generated by even a halogen lamp.........

I'd be more convinced if the article stated that the workbench punctured the portion of the radiator used as a transmission fluid cooler.....

This is basically BS.

doc

How about shorted auto wiring generating a spark?

It's that or, because a democrat died, we have to assume it was Dick Cheney disguised as Sarah Palin sending mind-control messages to hapless schizophrenics through youtube.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:02:05 PM »
How about shorted auto wiring generating a spark?

It's that or, because a democrat died, we have to assume it was Dick Cheney disguised as Sarah Palin sending mind-control messages to hapless schizophrenics through youtube.

Much more plausible than an "antifreeze fire"........glycol is a major component in the foam used at airports to extinguish aircraft fires, and foam runways.  That shit won't burn.

Further, since it WAS a Dem......anything is possible........the laws of physics (or any other laws for that matter) don't seem to apply to them.  You forgot to include Glen Beck in your second explanation..... :-)

doc

Confucius

Offline cavegal

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
An autopsy for Turton is still pending. A question for the forum. Since this was a fire how much info could they get from autopsy? It has been a month I am surprised the body is still around. Maybe a real busy morgue?

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 04:02:49 PM »
An autopsy for Turton is still pending. A question for the forum. Since this was a fire how much info could they get from autopsy? It has been a month I am surprised the body is still around. Maybe a real busy morgue?

Depending on the burn severity, they could possibly find injuries from weapons. The bones might show evidence of wounds.  They could do toxicology to see if drugs or alcohol were involved.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »
Much more plausible than an "antifreeze fire"........glycol is a major component in the foam used at airports to extinguish aircraft fires, and foam runways.  That shit won't burn.

Further, since it WAS a Dem......anything is possible........the laws of physics (or any other laws for that matter) don't seem to apply to them.  You forgot to include Glen Beck in your second explanation..... :-)

doc
Beck was the "man behind the curtain" in that scenario, you weren't supposed to mention him!

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »
Two things the autopsy would be keyed on, one would be evidence of smoke inhalation in the lung tissue, which would be free of it if she died before the fire (Not necessarily foul play, could be a heart attack, a self-administered drug overdose (Intentional or not), a drug reaction, etc.  If the lung tissue appears consistent with death in the fire, they may not do toxicology, but that is the other main thing.  Of course they will also look for things like fractures from blunt force trauma, wounds, coronary artery damage that would explain sudden death, all the normal things of that sort.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »
Me too.  The ****ers burn my eyes when some asshole who owns them is in approaching traffic.  It beats the crap out of me that insurance companies regard them as a 'Safety feature,' I have to take my eyes off the oncoming traffic when I see them coming, and it's not like you can suddenly pull across two lanes at 70 mph and park until the dickwad that owns them passes.

I've hard them properly installed on my car and as a driver who uses them, they make a huge difference. Properly aligned and install and they shouldn't cause any issues.

Most of the problems come from teens who think they can install them in 10 minutes to make their car look cool, thus doing it improperly.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
Authorities determined that the BMW ignited in the garage and damage was confined to that area. Now several sources familiar with the ongoing investigation reportedly told local radio station WTOP that investigators believe the radiator in the BMW was punctured when it rolled into a workbench. The halogen headlights, which emit a bluish light and illuminate the road better than conventional headlights, stayed on after the radiator was punctured.

What the hell is this?  "Final Destination Umpteenbillion?"

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »
I've hard them properly installed on my car and as a driver who uses them, they make a huge difference. Properly aligned and install and they shouldn't cause any issues.

Most of the problems come from teens who think they can install them in 10 minutes to make their car look cool, thus doing it improperly.

Err.....simply replacing standard incandescent (or halogen) headlamp bulbs with the blue halogen ones does not change the alignment of the headlights.  The alignment is set with a set of special measuring instruments.  Just changing lamps doesn't alter anything except their effect on oncoming drivers.  My present vehicle came from the manufacturer with "white" halogen lamps.......they function the same, without distracting other drivers, and they have the same lumen output as the blue.

The blue halogen lamps create a glare problem for drivers with acclimated night vision, and due to the "temperature" of the light output they temporarily destroy that acclimation, blinding  other drivers for several seconds......the "warmer" incandescent light output has a significantly lower effect on night vision (you'll notice that on naval vessels at night red lighting is used to preserve night vision).  They also create much more glare on wet or icy surfaces, which is also distracting to others, and downright dangerous.

This discussion is comparable to the arguments against the mandate for use of CFL's replacing standard lamps in home use.......the CFL output light temperature is horrible for reading, etc., I simply refuse to use them for that purpose......if that means  that I have to buy 20 years supply of incandescent lamps before they are discontinued, so be it.

There are methods to create brighter headlamps without changing the color to blue......it's been done for years......old technology.  Use of blue halogens is simply a gimmick, a status symbol started by several high-end European auto makers.  The color itself serves no useful purpose to increase visibility.

doc

Confucius

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »

Oh yes this happens every day to those that drive those flimsy BMW with those stupid blue lights. 

Makes me wonder what was on the work bench that punctured the radiator, a freaking Harpoon ??

Offline cavegal

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 07:38:55 PM »
Ashley Turton crashed under the influence

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0211/49365.html

Ashley Turton, a former Democratic aide whose death last month shocked friends and colleagues on Capitol Hill, was under the influence of alcohol when she crashed her car into the family garage early on the morning of Jan. 10, an autopsy found.

According to a statement released Friday by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for the District of Columbia, Turton died from the “inhalation of products of combustion and thermal burns” caused by a fire after her car crashed into the garage of the Turton’s Capitol Hill home

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.