Author Topic: Denver School System Bans Employee Travel to Arizona  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Denver School System Bans Employee Travel to Arizona
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=137832&catid=339&GID=IxKr/acxbfidWqgAGuHAFmKJpO3ChPjIEoctsP0CgOA%3D

A written statement released by the district Thursday morning said DPS is forming a Citizens Advisory Committee to study the issue further.

DPS Superintendent Tom Boasberg is expected to make a public statement on the travel ban Thursday afternoon.

District spokeswoman Kristy Armstrong said Boasberg's order had the support of the board of education and was being done "in protest" of the illegal immigration law.

Armstrong said the district didn't want to "subject employees to search."

The Arizona law requires police officers who have made "lawful contact" with a person to "make a reasonable attempt" to determine that person's immigration status if there is a "reasonable suspicion" that person is an illegal immigrant.

Proponents of the bill say a driver's license or other government-issued ID provided to a police officer would be sufficient.

Armstrong said all DPS employees should have such identification but the district objects to them being asked to provide it.

Armstrong said every DPS employee undergoes a background check that includes legal residency. She said the district is "very confident" that it does not have employees who are in the United States illegally.

The Arizona law has sparked protests by a wide coalition of interest groups across the United States and in Mexico.

Published reports indicate travel bans similar to the DPS action have been enacted by the cities of San Francisco, Calif., and St. Paul, Minn. Newspaper accounts suggest similar bans are being considered by the cities of Los Angeles and Oakland.

<exerpted>

More at link......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
Re: Denver School System Bans Employee Travel to Arizona
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 09:52:36 PM »
"This law directly attacks our core values of dignity. Our core values that we are a diverse and multi-ethnic community. And I think this law is unique in the way it attacks and undermines those deeply-held values," Boasberg said.

Mealy-mouthed bullshit like this directly attacks the core values and dignity of forgein nationals who became American citizens the right way, Mr. Boasberg. 

Offline longview

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:33:32 PM »
Cut their federal funding.

Oh, shucks, I forgot, the feds don't support solely legal immigration either. 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
Symbolism over substance.  Idiots.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:49:35 PM »
Who are these ****in' ****ers who ****in' think they can tell ANY American citizen where they can or can't ****in' travel WITHIN THE ****IN' 50 UNITED ****IN' STATES on their free time, whether they work for this ****in' ****ed up school district or not?

****ers are havin' delusions of adequacy...
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:59:11 PM »
What's more nazi: Defending our borders or controlling the movement of citizens around the country?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:13:19 AM »
I would be seeking other employment if my employer put that on me
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:06:51 PM »
I would be seeking other employment if my employer put that on me

I'm the nasty-assed SoB that would hire on to DPS, just so I could make a trip to Arizona, document the hell out of it, and then DARE them to fire me for travelling there. 

I hate attorneys, can't stand the litigious society that America has de-volved into, but I would be first in line at the court clerk's office, if any employer of mine attempted any kind of crap like this.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »
Did I miss something?  I thought it said only work-related trips, which I read as DPS won't pay for any work related trips to AZ.  Now, I still think that is utterly stoooopid, but it didn't seem like they were banning their employees from going on their own. 

meh.  Denver is a whackadoodle nutbar kind of place.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »
Did I miss something?  I thought it said only work-related trips, which I read as DPS won't pay for any work related trips to AZ.  Now, I still think that is utterly stoooopid, but it didn't seem like they were banning their employees from going on their own. 

meh.  Denver is a whackadoodle nutbar kind of place.

Work-related would seem to make sense to me as well, but I saw no clarification in the article that specified that little caveat, and I've never known the DPS system to make sense before, why should they be expected to start now?
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 02:18:56 PM »
So if a teacher wants to spend their own dime and go to Arizona and support the law, will they be fired?

Now that is standing up for liberty. lol.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 02:22:19 PM »
Work-related would seem to make sense to me as well, but I saw no clarification in the article that specified that little caveat, and I've never known the DPS system to make sense before, why should they be expected to start now?

True dat.  I thought I read work-related.  But with that being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them put pressure on employees that travel to AZ.  That would be an interesting court case to be sure.  Funny.  Up until I went to Denver last year, I likened it more Red.  I don't liken it that way anymore. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 02:29:13 PM »
Denver School System NAZI's want their teachers papers, bans trips to Arizona.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 02:30:07 PM »
Wonder if they will keep them from traveling to Mexico where they have an almost identical law to the one AZ just put into place??

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »
Wonder if they will keep them from traveling to Mexico where they have an almost identical law to the one AZ just put into place??

KC

AZ law is nearly identical to US federal law, unenforced. Mexico's law is much much more restrictive

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »
AZ law is nearly identical to US federal law, unenforced. Mexico's law is much much more restrictive

This is what I was working off of;

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100429/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_migrants_1

<snip>

At present, Article 67 of Mexico's Population Law says, "Authorities, whether federal, state or municipal ... are required to demand that foreigners prove their legal presence in the country, before attending to any issues."

<snip>

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »
Mexican law also prohibits foreigners from attending or donating to anything political, such as protest rallies on May 1st. I think its a felony there. I don't think foreigners can get any kind of welfare in Mexico.

I also read somewhere that Mexico deports more people than the US does. lol.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 02:55:56 PM »
Mexican law also prohibits foreigners from attending or donating to anything political, such as protest rallies on May 1st. I think its a felony there. I don't think foreigners can get any kind of welfare in Mexico.

I also read somewhere that Mexico deports more people than the US does. lol.

That wouldn't surprise me.  You have a lot of folks from Central America who pass through Mexico to get to the US.

On a bike ride a couple of years ago we were going to cross over into Mexico but there was a problem.  2 of them actually.  2 of us were toting pistols.  As we neared the border there was a huge sign saying it was a felony to cross the border with a firearm and you would GO STRAIGHT TO PRISON.

I turned all 13 bikes around on a one way street and rode against traffic until the north bound lane opened up again.  It was interesting to see how many border agents came out of the building to watch 13 bikers ride against the flow of traffic!  LOL  Nope, nothing going on there!!

KC

*Stolen

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »
On a bike ride a couple of years ago we were going to cross over into Mexico but there was a problem.  2 of them actually.  2 of us were toting pistols.  As we neared the border there was a huge sign saying it was a felony to cross the border with a firearm and you would GO STRAIGHT TO PRISON.

Only the drug gangs are allowed to have guns in Mexico. lol