Author Topic: I love my sister, but she's a raving liberal  (Read 1309 times)

Offline jinxmchue

I love my sister, but she's a raving liberal
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:23:02 PM »
She posted this link on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=262702144599&id=115555173048&ref=mf

And commented:

It never occurred to me that a Secretary of State had this kind of power. I support Joscelyn Benson, who is exactly right in her comment that this Rep. Scott is raising a point in order to inflame his conservative base. What he proposes will result in a lawsuit Michigan can't win and can't afford. Not to mention it's just plain mean-spirited.

I responded to the post with a simple question:

I have a question. Now, this question is not intended to imply anything about transgendered people or this potential law, nor is it meant to inspire a debate or meant to change your beliefs. It is merely a question of fact that requires nothing more than a one-word answer. My question is this:

If a transgendered person who was born male and identified as female were to die in a way that required a coroner to identify the person's gender via genetic material (i.e. DNA), what gender would the coroner write in his report: male or female?

She responded:

Your limited scope, one-word answer is male, because - as you well know - we cannot change our genetic material, which is about 1 percent of who we are.

Now I have a question for you. How do you want to be remembered after you die? Would you want the minister to stand in front of the gathered congregation and say, "[He] was male."? Or would you rather be defined as something other than your DNA?

To which I replied:

People will remember me how they remember me. What the state identifies me as should not have any bearing on that nor vice versa. The state should deal in facts only, not what I view myself as. If my body were to be examined by a coroner, he would identify me as a white male between 35 and 45, 6-foot-3, around 240 lbs., with blue eyes. If I viewed myself as a "cat-man" with tiger stripes and yellow cat eyes (getting tattoos and contacts to match that identity), what bearing would that have on what the state identifies me as?

She then posted:

I think we're done now.

And defriended me!   :whatever:

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
Re: I love my sister, but she's a raving liberal
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:33:16 PM »
Hey, I got a liberal sister too! I'm sorry that happened but I had to giggle. Liberals really don't know how to debate or even have a conversation that would turn into a fight. My sister always start shit but never back up that shit. She runs away every time. And I am the one who "starts" the fights!  :mental:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »
I have a very liberal half-sister....who found me a few years ago on the internet. She's 3.5 months older than me, so have lived through the same events in time. (Daddy was an ass....and yes, DNA tests were done.)

We've met, hung out a bit.....but I think she has a much bigger issue with me being a Republican - conservative than I have with her being a Democrat  - liberal.

I was willing to accept her regardless of her political beliefs .....I think mine are an issue for her.  :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 02:10:43 PM »
Now I have a question for you. How do you want to be remembered after you die?

You're stronger than I am, dude, I would have had a field day with that one!

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »
Both of my brothers are/were liberals.  Both of them screwed their lives up.  One is dead from a drug over dose and the other is almost 50 years old and has lived with my Dad for years.

I have had little in the way of debates with them, every time we ended up talking about politics it didn't end well.  Through all the differences politically I would give anything to have my brother back.  Even though I would not choose to be friends with my brother that is alive (If I weren't his sister), I do love him.  Most days it is harder to love him than to be disgusted with him but blood is definitely thicker than water.  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:30:08 PM by BEG »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 04:40:50 PM »
Both of my brothers are/were liberals.  Both of them screwed their lives up.  One is dead from a drug over dose and the other is almost 50 years old and has lived with my Dad for years.

I have had little in the way of debates with them, every time we ended up talking about politics it didn't end well.  Through all the differences politically I would give anything to have my brother back.  Even though I would not choose to be friends with my brother that is alive (If I weren't his sister), I do love him.  Most days it is harder to love him than to be disgusted with him but blood is definitely thicker than water.  

That is the difference between us and DUmmies.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:59:15 PM »
JINX!!!!!!!!!  I missed you! :cheersmate:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline bkg

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 05:01:51 PM »
My sister thinks Obama is too conservative. I feel y'alls pain.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »
JINX!!!!!!!!!  I missed you! :cheersmate:

yea, him and ptarmy have been MIA

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 05:58:17 PM »
I'm the only conservative in the warren. It's so bad my step father was sound engineer at the premier for Sicko! and my BIL is a troofer.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »
I'm the only conservative in the warren. It's so bad my step father was sound engineer at the premier for Sicko! and my BIL is a troofer.

I still ask the question if someone is a 9-11 truther AND a birther... does that make them a twofer?

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 07:38:55 PM »
Ya know, I don't even know for sure how any of my family votes.  I think my brothers are pretty conservative, I think my kids aren't.  It isn't even "on the radar."  Not an issue. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 09:20:22 PM »
I have Philly union people in my family. I understand...
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 01:19:58 PM »
Clarification: I guess she didn't defriend me.  She just blocked me from seeing any of her wall posts.  It's "defriend lite," I guess.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 01:28:49 PM »
Hey, I got a liberal sister too! I'm sorry that happened but I had to giggle. Liberals really don't know how to debate or even have a conversation that would turn into a fight. My sister always start shit but never back up that shit. She runs away every time. And I am the one who "starts" the fights!  :mental:

That's pretty much my situation.  She's spun the conversation into the direction of making me the one at fault.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »
You're stronger than I am, dude, I would have had a field day with that one!

:rotf:

Yeah, I considered a semi-snarky response, but I decided to take the high road and not respond to her formulated response the way she was expecting.

Offline bkg

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »
Clarification: I guess she didn't defriend me.  She just blocked me from seeing any of her wall posts.  It's "defriend lite," I guess.

I thought of defriending my sister... just to watch hillarity ensue.  :rotf:

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
I just shut down the conversation that had continued from before.  She was getting incredibly hurtful, spiteful and mean-spirited, which is typical of liberals faced with arguments they cannot counter.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 03:57:36 PM »
I just shut down the conversation that had continued from before.  She was getting incredibly hurtful, spiteful and mean-spirited, which is typical of liberals faced with arguments they cannot counter.

That is all liberals can do. They FAIL internally.