Author Topic: Wikipedia is about to start restricting the editing of some of its articles.  (Read 1880 times)

Offline tuolumnejim

Link

Wikipedia has just announced plans to restrict the editing of some of its articles. Under the new system, any changes made to pages of still-living people will have to be approved by an "experienced volunteer" before going online.
Any bets if its going to be the"fister"?
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline jinxmchue

Link
Any bets if its going to be the"fister"?

Doubt it.

Offline djones520

This will limit drive by screw ups, but since a large majority of "experienced editors" are left wing hacks, I don't see this helping to improve their rep to much.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline tuolumnejim

This will limit drive by screw ups, but since a large majority of "experienced editors" are left wing hacks, I don't see this helping to improve their rep to much.
Which is why I made the fister reference.
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Casey

• Probationary (Probie)
People still get their information from Wikipedia?
"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society." -Theodore Roosevelt

Offline AbbySieyes

• Probationary (Probie)
It's one of the best single sources of information ever devised by humankind. So, yes, people still do get their informaton from Wikipedia! More than ever!

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
It's one of the best single sources of information ever devised by humankind. So, yes, people still do get their informaton from Wikipedia! More than ever!

And there is where the problem lies. Wiki is about as accurate as the National Enquirer. Some articles are OK, I've even updated one myself (One about the USS Tripoli), but there are many other articles that have some sort of bias or political spin injected into them.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant

Not anyone who doesn't want to get laughed at.

Wiki is not a credible source if used in a debate.

edit: fixed qoute function.  djones
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:36:35 PM by djones520 »
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
What are the odds that "experienced volunteer" = ACORN employee or former ACORN employee?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

Not anyone who doesn't want to get laughed at.

Wiki is not a credible source if used in a debate.

edit: fixed qoute function.  djones

I think wikipedia is okay on general subjects, but nothing deep science or anything political.

Offline Gratiot

Re: Wikipedia is about to start restricting the editing of some of its articles.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »
I think wikipedia is okay on general subjects, but nothing deep science or anything political.

+1

I consider it an invaluable tool to get a quick 'over view' of something.  It's generally no worse than a quick google search, while often being more comprehensive. 

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
I have to echo Thundley's sentiments. It's OK for general knowledge and sometimes some technical stuff, but when it comes to people or politics, there's a bias often injected into the posting. Typically, it's a left winged bias from what I've read. This is where it takes a little common sense and knowledge to know when a Wiki article is not quite right. As far as the USS Tripoli, I was on her during Desert Storm. I'd like to believe that I remember what happened. Much was omitted from the Wiki Tripoli article for that war.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Anything even remotely controversial or politicized - is where Wiki fails. Or more accurately Wiki's contributors fail.

There's a surprising wealth of pure scientific information on there in subjects that haven't (or can't by their nature) been politicized.

Offline Casey

• Probationary (Probie)
If only global warming wasn't politicized...
"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society." -Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
If only global warming wasn't politicized...
If it weren't for politics, globalwarming would not exist.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Casey

• Probationary (Probie)
That's my point. It'd be just another "conspiracy theory." Heck, I don't even think it qualifies as a conspiracy theory. More like a cult.