Author Topic: "Transformers": A Swipe at Obama  (Read 1458 times)

Offline bijou

"Transformers": A Swipe at Obama
« on: June 24, 2009, 04:51:46 PM »
Variety's David Cohen saw the latest "Transformers" movie --- "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" --- and filed this report on its reference to President Obama, but not, at least in his eyes, in a good way.

Cohen writes, "So as usual in these movies, the federal bureaucrats are portrayed as annoying if not villainous. The President's man, "Galloway," is a bespectacled blowhard who becomes an obstacle to our brave fighting men and their alliance with the noble Autobots. Operating specifically under presidential authority, he makes all kinds of mischief. He says the President wants to try "diplomacy" against the evil Decepticons and hints the President would consider handing over Shia LaBouf's character to be killed by them. He eventually is ditched by the fighting men (tricked into parachuting out the back of a transport). All this is par for the course in this kind of movie. In the first, there was a Rumsfeldian secretary of defense (played by Jon Voight) and a bit of dialogue from "the President" clearly meant to be Bush, with an obvious Bush impression on the dialogue.

"However, if memory serves, no real politicians were named in the first movie. The SecDef isn't Rumsfeld. The president is not called by name.

"In this movie, exactly one real-life politician is named: "President Obama." They went out of their way to make sure they named the craven, obstructionist president as Obama."

So what gives? I haven't seen the movie, so I am relying on David's take. But it strikes me as a bit unusual given the popularity of the president and the fact that so many people involved in the pic contributed to his campaign. ...

http://www.wilshireandwashington.com/2009/06/transformers-a-swipe-at-obama.html

Because now political comment in entertainment is a serious issue.  :-)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: "Transformers": A Swipe at Obama
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:03:26 PM »
Well, I guess that would explain why Hollyweird's 'Critic's' (A job title currently devoid of any real meaning, like 'Journalist') are panning it. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: "Transformers": A Swipe at Obama
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
Well, I guess that would explain why Hollyweird's 'Critic's' (A job title currently devoid of any real meaning, like 'Journalist') are panning it. 

Makes me want to see it.
I was wondering why critics thought the movie was "better" than the first, but still hated it.

Love that.   :fuelfire:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.