Author Topic: Pravda mocks the death of capitalism  (Read 2000 times)

Offline 5412

Pravda mocks the death of capitalism
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »
Hi,

Hate to say it but I think this is pretty accurate.

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/107459-0/

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Pravda mocks the death of capitalism
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »
American capitalism gone with a whimper

To quote one of my favorit movie lines of all time from Buckaroo Banzai, "Laugh while you can, monkey-boys."
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 04:18:15 PM »

To quote one of my favorit movie lines of all time from Buckaroo Banzai, "Laugh while you can, monkey-boys."

That muffled laughter you hear is Nikita Kruschev's...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 04:22:48 PM »
How many on the gov't tit will be willing to get off their asses to save their country.  I meet far too many who are drawing far too much who can and should be productive citizens.  They are killing us.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 05:07:26 PM »
How many on the gov't tit will be willing to get off their asses to save their country.  I meet far too many who are drawing far too much who can and should be productive citizens.  They are killing us.

KC

A year ago, I would have been ready to drop everything to "save the country".  Nowadays, I think that the country as it is currently constituted cannot be saved.  Too many people in this country think that they can continue the way they have for the last 10, 20, 30 years or so, and avoid all of the unpleasent consequences of the choices they make.  We - collectively - are like the drug addict that continues to convince himself that he's not an addict, and that he's in control of his lifestyle; and so long as we cling to that fallacy, it's going to kill us and take everyone we love with us.  And with every hit of our drug of choice - wealth that was not the direct product of the sweat of our own brow - we continue to tell ourselves that this will make everything better, all the while we destroy everything we once held dear.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 06:09:32 PM by DefiantSix »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 05:43:08 PM »
In my church, there has been a prophesy that has been around for a long time.  It says that there would come a time when the Constitution will hang by a thread, and in that time, the Elders of the church - myself among them - would rise up as one body to "rescue" it.  There are some that say the prophesy is apocryphal, and others that swear by the prophesy's validity.  I tend to be among the latter group, but I know that if and when the time comes, and the First Presidency (the leaders in Salt Lake) start sounding bells to muster the Elders, I will be there. 

:bs:

Offline 5412

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 10:41:30 PM »
A year ago, I would have been ready to drop everything to "save the country".  Nowadays, I think that the country as it is currently constituted cannot be saved.  Too many people in this country think that they can continue the way they have for the last 10, 20, 30 years or so, and avoid all of the unpleasent consequences of the choices they make.  We - collectively - are like the drug addict that continues to convince himself that he's not an addict, and that he's in control of his lifestyle; and so long as we cling to that fallacy, it's going to kill us and take everyone we love with us.  And with every hit of our drug of choice - wealth that was not the direct product of the sweat of our own brow - we continue to tell ourselves that this will make everything better, all the while we destroy everything we once held dear.

Hi,

You this sounds kinda simple but if there were term limits put in place for Congress so we had business people running the country we would be a long way toward turning things around.  Believe it or not, I think a common person like Sara Palin, given congressional support could actually rally the nation.  Problem is the mainstream media will villify whoever that person is.

regards,

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 11:30:45 PM »
We outlived the Soviet Union by 20 years.  I guess we won.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 11:41:08 PM »
Jeeze, all the fighting spirit here makes me feel like I'm in France, for some reason...

:hammer:

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 01:48:49 AM »
About half the people in this country are not worth saving. They include government employees, Hollywood and the MSM

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 06:58:06 AM »

but how long till we hit rock bottom?  I'm all for non-productive people who are that way by choice being forced to work or starve, but I don't see it in the cards.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 09:12:43 AM »
but how long till we hit rock bottom?  I'm all for non-productive people who are that way by choice being forced to work or starve, but I don't see it in the cards.

Exactly.  Americans love to make stuff work even when it shouldn't, that's why we have classic car clubs, muzzleloaders, classic computer user groups, re-enactors, etc.; there will never be a clean break with the current dysfunctional system short of total societal collapse.  And unlike just our natural tinkering bent, the pols in charge have a vested interest in keeping the losers afloat, since their vote counts for as much as anyone else's and the losers are expected to respond to the hand that feeds them...the only way this dynamic could be interrupted is for the expectations of the entitlement class to rise so far above what can actually be delivered that they take out their anger on the vote whores who took them to that point, but that's going to come about only a few weeks before it's hunker-in-the-bunker time for everyone else.     

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »
Exactly.  Americans love to make stuff work even when it shouldn't, that's why we have classic car clubs, muzzleloaders, classic computer user groups, re-enactors, etc.; there will never be a clean break with the current dysfunctional system short of total societal collapse.  And unlike just our natural tinkering bent, the pols in charge have a vested interest in keeping the losers afloat, since their vote counts for as much as anyone else's and the losers are expected to respond to the hand that feeds them...the only way this dynamic could be interrupted is for the expectations of the entitlement class to rise so far above what can actually be delivered that they take out their anger on the vote whores who took them to that point, but that's going to come about only a few weeks before it's hunker-in-the-bunker time for everyone else.     

recently someone made a 300 bits a sec modem work, it was like 60 years old. too slow for text message these days but it worked. I think its one of the ones made of wood that you put the phone reciever ontop of.