Author Topic: 17 companies adopt micro USB phone charger standard  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Miss Mia

17 companies adopt micro USB phone charger standard
« on: February 17, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
17 companies adopt micro USB phone charger standard[/b]

Well, that was quick. This morning at the GSMA Mobile World Congress conference taking place in Barcelona, a mammoth pile of cell phone manufacturers have agreed to a universal cell phone charger standard. That format? Micro USB (pictured).

Only days ago, the European Union announced it would be pursuing stronger means of forcing cell phone makers to get together on a charging standard that would work across a range of different handsets.

The target for transition to micro USB -- which is smaller than the more commonly used mini USB connector but has already been adopted in a few handsets, including the BlackBerry Storm -- is to have "the majority of all new mobile phone models" supporting the new connector by January 1, 2012. As well, the chargers are set to be designed to use half as much power while operating on standby.

The big savings for manufacturers and buyers will come in the sheer number of chargers that will no longer have to be bundled with handsets: The use of a standard format is predicted to result in a 50 percent reduction in the number of chargers that have to be produced and sold each year. That's significant.

The list of companies immediately signing on to the initiative reads like a who's who in the GSM cell phone space -- LG, Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, AT&T, T-Mobile, Motorola -- but lacks a few key players, notably Apple, which is holding on to the legacy iPod connector with a veritable death grip. RIM and Palm are also both missing from the initial list of supporters. Whether the holdouts join on the alliance is anybody's guess.
----

That would be very cool, I hope this actually happens. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline MrsSmith

Re: 17 companies adopt micro USB phone charger standard
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »
17 companies adopt micro USB phone charger standard[/b]

That would be very cool, I hope this actually happens. 

Yes, it would.  The worst thing about cell phones (and a lot of other devices) is the stupid chargers.  It's bad enough to keep track of them at home, but when we travel, we need to pack about 7 different home or car chargers.   ::) ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 05:21:42 PM »
Yes, it would.  The worst thing about cell phones (and a lot of other devices) is the stupid chargers.  It's bad enough to keep track of them at home, but when we travel, we need to pack about 7 different home or car chargers.   ::) ::)

And if they went to a universal charger it would save the manufacturers more.  They wouldn't need to bundle a charger in with the sale of a new phone like they do now.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:24:43 PM »
The micro-USB standard isn't enough.  They need to agree on amp levels as well.  I have several universal chargers and some work on some of my mini-USB equipment, others work on tothers, and some (like Motorola razor-type phones) will ONLY work with Motorola original equipment.

Having one charger to charge everything is my personal holy grail.  And now, I have the new Samsung Omnia (which I love, even though I have some frustration with the Internet browsers) it has a completely different connector, so all the mini-USB stuff I bought for my prior PDAPhone don't fit. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »
They should have done that five years ago. :p

I had to buy a replacement charger for a Motorola phone.  I don't have the phone any longer, but I still have the stupid charger.  It's useless now.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.