Author Topic: 5 Somali pirates drown with ransom share  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
5 Somali pirates drown with ransom share
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »
5 Somali pirates drown with ransom share

MOGADISHU, Somalia – Five of the pirates who hijacked a Saudi supertanker drowned with their share of a $3 million ransom, a relative said Saturday, the day after the bundle of cash was apparently dropped by parachute onto the deck of the ship.

The Sirius Star and its 25 crew sailed safely away Friday at the end of a two-month standoff in the Gulf of Aden, where pirates attacked over 100 ships last year. Hundreds more kidnapped sailors remain in the hands of pirates.

Abukar Haji, uncle of one of the dead men, blamed the naval surveillance for the accident that killed his pirate nephew Saturday.

"The boat the pirates were traveling in capsized because it was running at high speed because the pirates were afraid of an attack from the warships patrolling around," he said.

"There has been human and monetary loss but what makes us feel sad is that we don't still have the dead bodies of our relatives. Four are still missing and one washed up on the shore."

(LINK)

Am I allowed to laugh?  Just a little?
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 5 Somali pirates drown with ransom share
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:53:24 PM »
"There has been human and monetary loss but what makes us feel sad is that we don't still have the dead bodies of our relatives.

Your relatives are common criminals and deserved what happened to them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 01:22:51 PM »
Am I allowed to laugh?  Just a little?

Not only laugh, but point and snicker too  :cheersmate:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 01:35:21 PM »
Did the scum leave a ring around the ocean?   :evillaugh:

Adios, cucarachas!
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »
Hi5 to both of you. :rotf:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 07:17:17 PM »
paying these guys off guarantees that the piracy will continue, of course.

A parachute dropped by a small aircraft drops over the MV Sirius Star at anchor, an apparent payment via a parachuted container to pirates holding the ship, Friday, Jan. 9, 2009. Somali pirates released the oil-laden Saudi supertanker after receiving a $3 million ransom, a negotiator for the bandits said Friday.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:28:21 PM »
paying these guys off guarantees that the piracy will continue, of course.

I wonder if it would be "fair play" to douse the ransom with something nasty... like ebola or anthrax before dropping it.

Failing that tie the ransom to a JDAM.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 08:31:59 PM »
I wonder if it would be "fair play" to douse the ransom with something nasty... like ebola or anthrax before dropping it.

Failing that tie the ransom to a JDAM.

if we can protect thousands of airliners with air marshalls, you would think that we coiuld protect a far fewer number of cargo vessels.

there is a zillion bucks to be made for a company that provides armed protection on the open seas, something like what blackwater does in iraq.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 10:35:25 PM »
if we can protect thousands of airliners with air marshalls, you would think that we could protect a far fewer number of cargo vessels.

there is a zillion bucks to be made for a company that provides armed protection on the open seas, something like what blackwater does in Iraq.

Sadly though the facts are that between the U.N. and international law there is practically no way anyone can do a thing about those pirates except pay the ransom. Once they get on the ship ,the laws say to basically give it to them without a fight and almost all nations agreed to never arm their civilian crews.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 11:03:14 PM »
Sadly though the facts are that between the U.N. and international law there is practically no way anyone can do a thing about those pirates except pay the ransom. Once they get on the ship ,the laws say to basically give it to them without a fight and almost all nations agreed to never arm their civilian crews.

screw international law.  who is the sovereign that dictates international law?  who enforces the punishment?  the answer is, "nobody".

put a dozen armed former marines on every cargo ship, and this shit would end.  THAT AFTERNOON.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 11:06:25 PM »
I think someone suggested putting a .50 cal machine gun at each end of the ship and shooting the evil bastards out of the water.  Works for me.

Is a ship flying under it's own flag not considered sovreign territory of that country?  (Sorry, I can't think of the correct term.)  Cruise ships are registered out of one country or another... if you break a law on one of their ships, are you not subject to their legal system?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 11:14:18 PM »
I think someone suggested putting a .50 cal machine gun at each end of the ship and shooting the evil bastards out of the water.  Works for me.

Is a ship flying under it's own flag not considered sovreign territory of that country?  (Sorry, I can't think of the correct term.)  Cruise ships are registered out of one country or another... if you break a law on one of their ships, are you not subject to their legal system?

probably not.  if you are in international waters, there is no territorial law.  at least as far as I am able to grasp it.

but that isn't the point.  the point is that these ships are being taken over by moe, larry, and curley.  it's just that they have guns.  hell, chris, you and I could take over a tanker next week.

give them guns.  guns protect civilization.  if it weren't for guns, we would all be visigoths right now.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 11:16:03 PM »

and cruise ships are typically registered out of whatever country hits them for the least tax, as far as I know.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 07:22:52 AM »
From a naval standpoint, that's pretty much been why the Captain has been not just the word of God but God himself since the first ship sailed--no other legal authority once you leave the dock.  From where I sit, if a captain decides to arm himself to the teeth once he gets past the 3-mile limit, and defends his ship against an armed aggressor, I'd love to see WHICH authority would come after him, and on what authority they have.  I could almost see it now:

International "authority": We're going to charge you with illegally arming your ship and shooting up a ship full of pirates.

CO: I was defending my charge.

IA: No matter--many nations have signed on to our treaty.

CO: And where were they when my ship was being attacked?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 07:24:21 AM »
Damn, Akhbar, I KNEW this would happen when they paid the ransom in pennies!!!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 07:35:04 AM »
Damn, Akhbar, I KNEW this would happen when they paid the ransom in pennies!!!

Heh. At least one can say it was delivered to the right address, within a foot or so.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 08:12:34 AM »

You're absolutely right, and we totally need to shitcan those rules.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline paladin0

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 07:02:13 PM »

Navies need to start putting Q ships back into service. That would cut down on pirate attacks.

Paladin0
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
—James Madison, Federalist No. 10

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 11:16:51 PM »
Darwin Award Winner!  :lmao:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du