Author Topic: Parts of the nation still having gasoline shortages  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Parts of the nation still having gasoline shortages
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:30:05 PM »
Parts of the nation still having gasoline shortages

Parts of the USA are still running short of gasoline five days after Hurricane Ike knocked out 20% of the nation's refining capacity.  The crunch is especially severe in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic, which get their gas through pipelines from the Gulf region. It's largely hitting stations and convenience stores not affiliated with big brands such as ExxonMobil.

The shortages continue as oil prices rose nearly 7% Wednesday, with investors fleeing stocks amid Wall Street turmoil and returning, if only briefly, to commodities. U.S. crude oil prices settled at $97.16 a barrel, up $6.01. Oil prices had skidded for two months on weak demand and a strengthening dollar.

I didn't pay attention to this when I started getting phone calls at work after Ike landed from OTR owners and drivers that couldn't find diesel.  The phone calls started inching closer and closer to my area.  It was restricted to Mapco stations running out of gas at first.  As the week wore on, I started noticing more and more stations in my area that had taken down their price signs and put bags over their pumps.  Every station along my drive home has stopped advertising gas. 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Re: Parts of the nation still having gasoline shortages
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:31:39 PM »
The old SUPPLY and demand
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Jim

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:28:15 PM »
around here they're getting 50-60% of their normal allocations until the power comes back on in Texas and teh pipelines can start getting replenished.  Whats nice is that they decided to NOT use price to limit demand.  For a (welcome) change.  Or perhaps for fear that the anti-gouging laws would come into play.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:31:47 PM »
I was with my daughter today when she stopped for gas in Forney, TX.  It was a Wal-Mart station.  They had only regular unleaded.  No problem for us. 

They had a big sign announcing this, so it must be a big deal to somebodies.

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »
I was with my daughter today when she stopped for gas in Forney, TX.  It was a Wal-Mart station.  They had only regular unleaded.  No problem for us. 

They had a big sign announcing this, so it must be a big deal to somebodies.

Like my rich brother ?  All his cars run on premium.  Especially his new 500 HP Shelby Cobra !
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 08:32:11 PM »
Still out of gas... I can't find a single working pump in my area.  According to the TV nuze, gas is supposed to be here by Tuesday.  Half the folks at work were either late or stayed home today.  My car is nearly empty.  I may have to take the bus Monday or siphon the gas out of my motorcycle.  Problem with the bus is I have to get up at 5:00 to ride the four miles to work.  I think I'd be better off walking.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Lanie

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 08:34:59 PM »
It's finally starting to calm down around here. The price is even going down some. We're still running out at times though. I was actually scared last Thursday or Friday of not having enough gas at all.
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 08:36:57 PM »
we still have gas here in the Fla panhandle but took a trip up to the Auburn Opelika Ala. area on Fri and lots of stations have little plastic bags over the nozzle. a few had regular gas.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 08:40:39 PM »
I can't even find Premium.

Look... we made it on CNN:  http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/19/nashville.gas/

Atlanta  and some parts of Dallas seem to be having the same problem.

Offline Jim

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 09:53:31 PM »
It's finally starting to calm down around here. The price is even going down some. We're still running out at times though. I was actually scared last Thursday or Friday of not having enough gas at all.

Same here, down 10-15 cents.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 09:58:35 PM »
I saw only one station that had gas Friday afternoon on the way home from work.  $4.09 for unleaded only and they had police directing traffic with probably 50+ cars waiting.  Fortunately we carpool and both cars have nearly full tanks.  We're good for two weeks if necessary.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 11:15:34 AM »
Just got gas yesterday at the local Wal-Mart station (Murphy's). $3.3359/gal, but nothing other than plain old unleaded. I DID notice that they have just added a new gimmick, an additive selection that is added during the fueling process. Can't say I really trust that.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »
I bought a gallon of gas this morning! :hyper:

I was driving into work, scanning the skyline for a gas sign with prices on it.  The Shell station on the main highway across from work had Regular for sale, but I couldn't back into the filling station because there were four other cars behind me.  I'm glad I remembered to bring my gas can.

Looks like I'll be okay for a couple more days.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 06:15:34 PM »
Yeah, this is getting to be ridiculous.  I gassed up all my cars the Thursday before the storm, thank goodness, because by next day (Fri.) around 4pm there wasn't a station in the area with gas.  We finally got gas back in the area last week Tuesday only to run out again this past Saturday.  Now it looks like there might not be anymore until maybe Wednesday (we hope).  You gotta figure they're working 24/7 to get those refineries back up and running because that's a lot of money they're losing, but it sure does seem to be taking too long IMO.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 06:25:51 PM »
I *heard* that shipments are supposed to make it up here by Tuesday.  And the same thing will probably happen... any station advertising gas is going to get swarmed.  The oil and gas companies are working around the clock to get the pipelines working again but I have no idea how long that's supposed to take.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »
Yeah, this is getting to be ridiculous.  I gassed up all my cars the Thursday before the storm, thank goodness, because by next day (Fri.) around 4pm there wasn't a station in the area with gas.  We finally got gas back in the area last week Tuesday only to run out again this past Saturday.  Now it looks like there might not be anymore until maybe Wednesday (we hope).  You gotta figure they're working 24/7 to get those refineries back up and running because that's a lot of money they're losing, but it sure does seem to be taking too long IMO.

Still waiting to see what our AG will do about the gouging

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 06:27:57 PM »
I *heard* that shipments are supposed to make it up here by Tuesday.  And the same thing will probably happen... any station advertising gas is going to get swarmed.  The oil and gas companies are working around the clock to get the pipelines working again but I have no idea how long that's supposed to take.

I don't understand this as gas is flowing into Selma NC from the Gulf.

Wtf did Tennesee do.................buy a Dummies for pipeline supply and run it that way.

I'm confused.............as normal

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »
At first, I heard it was a damaged pipeline.  Next, it was everybody in the city filling up anything they could with gas.  Apparently, I'm surrounded by idiots.  The same thing happen whenever you hear "snow" mentioned on the weather report.  I think it's a conspiracy fueled by the bread and milk companies :tinfoil2:

Of course, Nashville is heavily Democratic compared to the rest of the state.

Offline Lanie

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 06:47:40 PM »

Still waiting to see what our AG will do about the gouging

I heard in my state, they're going to get fined because there really is a rule against gounging around here.
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.