Author Topic: Gingrich, Steele duel privately for RNC job  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Scoobie

Gingrich, Steele duel privately for RNC job
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:55:03 AM »
EXCLUSIVE: Gingrich, Steele duel privately for RNC job

Ralph Z. Hallow (Contact)
Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A behind-the-scenes battle to take the reins of the Republican National Committee is taking off between former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele.

Neither man will acknowledge his interest in the post, but Republicans close to each are burning up the phone lines and firing off e-mails to fellow party members in an effort to oust RNC Chairman Mike Duncan in the wake of the second consecutive drubbing of Republican candidates at the polls.

A bevy of backers for each man, neither of whom is an RNC member, say the committee needs a leader who can formulate a counter-agenda to President-elect Barack Obama's administration and articulate it on the national stage.

"The Republican National Committee has to ask itself if it wants someone who has successfully led a revolution," Randy Evans, Gingrich confidant and personal attorney based in Atlanta, told The Washington Times on Monday. "If it does, Newt's the one."

Former California Republican Party Chairman Shawn Steel told The Times that Mr. Steele, chairman of GOPAC, a national organization once headed by Mr. Gingrich, "wants to be Republican national chairman."

"I've talked to him many times, and he definitely wants it," said Mr. Steel.

<snip>

Link

Huh. Interesting.  :popcorn:
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Gingrich, Steele duel privately for RNC job
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:00:44 AM »
Either guy would be good for the RNC, so let's hope they don't get personal or nasty over it.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »
It's a battle that is both gentlemanly and an inevitable victory for the GOP regardless of its outcome.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:08:51 AM »
Either guy would be good for the RNC, so let's hope they don't get personal or nasty over it.

Simple solution: Steele and Gingrich act as co-chairman. We get the proven abilities of Newt, and the benefit of Steele's expertise .

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:40:19 AM »
Cage match.

But seriously, just as important as the leadership position is a serious housecleaning throughout the organization.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:05:23 AM »
Cage match.

But seriously, just as important as the leadership position is a serious housecleaning throughout the organization.
I think the only contest between these two should be which one signs the political execution orders and which one drops the political guillotine.

We need/want both and I'm sure they can work together so as to augment their respective talents. If so 2010 looks damn good and 2012 even better. Obama may be the catalyst we've needed for a long time...a veritable sandpaper wrapped marital aid of a blessing in disguise.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:28:45 PM »
I love both of these guys, either would be great. 

Offline Zeus

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 12:33:33 PM »
Fred Thompson is mulling the Idea also. All three would be good in the position.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »
Fred Thompson is mulling the Idea also. All three would be good in the position.
How delightful that every list thus far is RINO-free.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 12:48:50 PM »
How delightful that every list thus far is RINO-free.

One would hope that after the last - 18-month long  :banghead: - election cycle, one would hope that RINOs remain persona non grata for a LOOOOOOONG damned time.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:08:58 PM »
Without having an informed opinion on either, if they are both equally well qualified then Steele would be teflon coated in terms of the 'racist' claims which are sure to be issuing forth from Obama over the next 4 years. Much as I hate affirmative action sometimes you have to hoist liberals on their own petard. However one can't risk picking the weaker candidate for that reason so I hope the best man wins.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 01:11:53 PM »
Without having an informed opinion on either, if they are both equally well qualified then Steele would be teflon coated in terms of the 'racist' claims which are sure to be issuing forth from Obama over the next 4 years. Much as I hate affirmative action sometimes you have to hoist liberals on their own petard. However one can't risk picking the weaker candidate for that reason so I hope the best man wins.
You don't know our liberals.

"Oreo" and "Uncle Tom" were words readily dropped when Steele dared defy his would-be prgressive masters here on the Left. Blacks are not allowed to seek political fortune as anything other than a liberals. Witness the rank sexism levelled at Palin.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 01:57:31 PM »
You don't know our liberals.

"Oreo" and "Uncle Tom" were words readily dropped when Steele dared defy his would-be prgressive masters here on the Left. Blacks are not allowed to seek political fortune as anything other than a liberals. Witness the rank sexism levelled at Palin.
I've no doubt those slurs would be thrown, but it would bring it out in the open. They could hide behind Condoleeza Rice's position in the Bush administration as cover for their racism. But this would be a bit different, it would be naked and open and more to the point it would be a constant reminder that Obama worship is not the only option for black people. I think it would drive Obama crazy that he had an opponent who was black and that would be a good thing.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »

I don't think it was necessarily the "Rhino" effect that lost the right the election as much as it was the PC effect. Conservatism isn't racist and/or politically correct and we need to quit apologizing through our actions. Steele is a good man & a good Conservative but I do not believe he deserves undo consideration due to his skin color. I do believe that would be doing him a disservice.

I don't fault The Mccain campaign for fighting the "Gentlemans" fight I just think in restrospect it was the wrong statergy for the time and circumstances.  For all the talk of Uniting and bringing together I seriously believe the country want's a leader willing to fight for what they believe is right. Obama was all about "Bush this..Bush that... McCain this... McCain that and how did the McCain campaign respond ? They declared Obama a good man.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:05:21 PM by Zeus »
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 03:46:43 PM »
It is Steele for me, Newt's had his run. Newt needs to be there , tho.,"of council", idea guy , spokesperson and  throat cutter .