Author Topic: Noonan and Will have lost their minds  (Read 779 times)

Offline formerlurker

Noonan and Will have lost their minds
« on: November 09, 2008, 07:20:21 AM »
You're lucky to live through big history. And you're living through it.

The explosion of joy in large pockets of the country Tuesday night was beautiful to see, and moving. For me, at the end of the evening, looking at live shots of the throngs in Chicago's Grant Park, I flashed back to 1960 and how it felt, as a child, to see that the grown-ups had elected a Catholic president. I can't say we stood taller—we were Irish, we already stood tall—but yes, there was a wave of feeling: "What a country," "What a development!" The other day, when I said that to the writer Henry Louis Gates, head of African American studies at Harvard, he told me he'd grown up in a Catholic neighborhood and had celebrated that night with his neighbors because he thought he was one of them. That struck me as a very American anecdote.

http://online.wsj.com/article/declarations.html

For now, the president-elect is coming to terms with something noted by Ambrose Bierce, the 19th-century American wit who wrote "The Devil's Dictionary." He defined "president" as the leading figure in a small group of persons of whom it is positively known that immense numbers of their countrymen did not want them to be president. Tuesday night, Obama, in his agreeably subdued speech in Grant Park, seemed to feel the weight of that.

He especially seemed determined to assuage the unease of those, and they are many, who discern in his cool demeanor an unattractive detachment from the warm, unembarrassed, demonstrative patriotism that is distinctively American. Hence such Grant Park language as: "Even as we stand here tonight, we know there are brave Americans waking up in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan to risk their lives for us." That was a prospective commander in chief finding his voice.

http://townhall.com/columnists/GeorgeWill/2008/11/09/dawning_of_the_age_of_obama

I honestly can't even look anymore. 

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Noonan and Will have lost their minds
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:05:17 AM »
Jesus F. Christ.  If it was important to defeat him because of his far Left ideology and unsuitability for the office, how does the mere fact that he is Black suddenly transmute his election into a good thing?  I guess media whores are media whores, nominally conservative or not.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:12:49 PM »
They are Beltway Insiders. What do you expect? Politics aside, the media has always has an East Coast bias, mainly Washington, DC and New York. They did not cover Hurricane Ike extensively despite the fact it is the third most costliest hurricane and 200 people are missing. I did not see it in Time and Newsweek. Nowhere???????? Well, yeah, people did not ask for government handouts and we did not get FEMA debit cards like after Katrina. Well, we are recovering with little problems. Only area affected is Bolivar Peninsula.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Zeus

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »
You folks act as if you have never heard of or encountered Political correctness before.  You think that article is bad,you ain't seen nothing yet.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.