Author Topic: Franken campaign sues Ramsey County to get list of rejected ballots  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
this thing just got significantly more complicated.  I've been kind of waiting for this one;  now they are in court arguing over what a "vote" turns out to be.  can open.  worms all over.

Franken campaign sues Ramsey County to get list of rejected ballots

ST. PAUL – The story of an 84-year-old Beltrami County woman whose election ballot was rejected helped convince Al Franken’s campaign to go to court seeking the names of all Minnesotans whose ballots were not counted last week.

Franken campaign officials said the Beltrami woman, a nursing home resident, told a campaign volunteer that her signature had changed due to a stroke after she first signed her voter registration forms. Her signature on absentee ballot paperwork did not match her signature for this election, so election officials rejected the ballot.

That example is being used as one reason why the U.S. Senate candidate wants to know about every rejected ballot.

Beltrami County handed over a list of voters with rejected ballots, one of about a dozen to comply with the campaign’s request. But many counties are refusing, so Franken today filed a lawsuit asking Ramsey County to comply. If a judge orders Ramsey County, home of St. Paul, to turn over the list, the Franken campaign expects all other counties to follow.

Every vote counts in the U.S. Senate race, which Democrat Franken trails by 206 votes to incumbent Republican Norm Coleman. A hand recount of 2.92 million ballots begins next week and the two campaigns are trying every-thing possible to tilt the outcome in their favor. Franken’s people, especially, are looking for every vote they can find.

Attorney Marc Elias, left, and Andy Barr of the Al Franken campaign announced earlier today a suit has been filed seeking the names of Minnesotans whose ballots were rejected in last week's election. The suit was filed in Ramsey County, but Elias said that if a judge orders Ramsey County to turn over the list, other counties probably would follow. Don Davis / Forum Communications

More

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Franken campaign sues Ramsey County to get list of rejected ballots
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »
I can't understand as to why they don't have a run-off election since it's so close.

Maybe it's because the Franken camp KNOWS they'll lose now that buyer's remorse has set in with the Obama-ites.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
I can't understand as to why they don't have a run-off election since it's so close.

Maybe it's because the Franken camp KNOWS they'll lose now that buyer's remorse has set in with the Obama-ites.

This technique worked in Washington state - so why not do it again ?

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:43:57 PM »

the whole franken story is a lie.  imagine that.  this should tell you what sort of dishonest and probably criminal extremes that the franken campaign is going to in attempts to steal this senate seat.

Franken story about Beltrami absentee ballot rejection flawed
A touching story the Franken campaign told at mid-day Thursday about how a Beltrami County women’s stroke-impaired signature led to her ballot being rejected proved flawed.

“We are still investigating,” Franken spokesman Andy Barr said Thursday night, adding that while the woman’s absentee ballot was rejected it was not because of her shaky signature as he reported a few hours earlier.

The woman’s story was carried by news organizations in Minnesota and beyond.

Franken’s U.S. Senate campaign originally said an 84-year-old Beltrami County woman’s post-stroke handwriting did not match her voter registration signature, so election officials rejected her ballot.

The county’s top elections official said she told the Franken campaign that was not the case.

“Beltrami County does not have one ballot that was rejected because signatures didn’t match and the Franken campaign was clearly told that,” County Auditor-Treasurer Kay Mack said. “I don’t know where they are getting that from.”

More

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:02:16 PM »
“I don’t know where they are getting that from.”

I do.

From the same place Al Franken has pulled everything else he's ever said, written or been associated with...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 09:58:25 AM »

No provision for it in Minnesota law, I think.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »
I do.

From the same place Al Franken has pulled everything else he's ever said, written or been associated with...

Amen to that!

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »

It's based on state law.  Texas doesn't have runoffs for governor, hence why Perry was reelected with only 39.3% of the vote. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."