Author Topic: Did you know we had our own Darfur.. right here in the USA?  (Read 2063 times)

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
Did you know we had our own Darfur.. right here in the USA?
« on: February 20, 2008, 06:23:43 PM »
Nah, they don't hate America.

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-19-08 01:05 AM
Original message
Did you know we had our own Darfur.. right here in the USA?
 Edited on Tue Feb-19-08 01:06 AM by SoCalDem
Kit Carson burned villages, burned houses, salted the land & water, burned down orchards & any other trees & vegetation they found, killed livestock, and destroyed 2 million pounds of food the Navajo had stored.

He and his men chased them down on horseback (like the Janjaweed) and shot them..

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carson /

schedules:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/schedule_customize.html

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2888319

Okay. We get it. The indians got ****ed over. But what does something that happened 150 years ago have to do with what the U.S. is today? Why the constant need to trumpet the darker moments of our history and stomp on those who point out the positive things about us? Most people know that we're not squeaky clean, that we've had our moments of brutality. But what is this obsession with framing this country in the worst possible light? It might not be so bad if you allowed the occasional "America-ain't-so-bad" poster to have a little breathing room, but when someone posts something along those lines they're met with hostility and derision. Without fail they are. And then you have the gall to feign outrage when someone accuses you of hating the U.S.? Who do you think you're kidding?

riverwalker  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-19-08 01:14 AM
Response to Original message
1. Canyon de Chelley
 was where the Navajo sought refuge from him. They speak of it like it was yesterday.

Maybe they need to start living in the here and now. A lot of my ancestors got murdered and exploited at some time in the past. What would it accomplish for me to sit around ruminating over it?

billyoc  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-19-08 01:15 AM
2. Ah, the grand cavalry tradition. Good thing we don't, um, nm.

*photo of modern-day Cavalry troops*

Yeah, because today's Cavalry is exactly the same as the nineteenth century version. Dumbass. :whatever:

donheld  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-19-08 04:13 AM
6. The US has more than one Darfur i'd say
 The trail of tears for one.

Again, two century's ago.

mac2  (1000+ posts)     Wed Feb-20-08 09:03 AM
Response to Reply #6
25. And NO and the Gulf coast
 during and after Katrina.

Yeah, because everyone knows that was just like Darfur. Slimy, lying assholes. Every one of them. 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:20:33 PM by dandi »
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Did you know we had our own Darfur.. right here in the USA?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:20:38 PM »
They will never miss an opportunity to trash the USA.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »
Once again the DUmmies show their complete lack of intelligence and understanding of history.

Oh and DUmmies...those Cherokee Indians that were moved from Alabama to Oklahoma on the Trail Of Tears...lived in Plantations and even oned...*gasp* slaves before they had to go to the Res.

By 1860, the Cherokees had 4,600 slaves; the Choctaws, 2,344; the Creeks, 1,532; the Chickasaws, 975; and the Seminoles, 500. Some Indian slave owners were as harsh and cruel as any white slave master. Indians were often hired to catch runaway slaves; in fact, slave-catching was a lucrative way of life for some Indians, especially the Chickasaws.

Black slavery in America usually evokes images of the antebellum South, but few realize that members of the Five Civilized Tribes--the Cherokees, Choctaws, Chickasaws, Creeks, and Seminoles--in Indian Territory, today's Oklahoma, also had slaves. Like their counterparts in the South, Indian slaveholders feared slave revolts. Those fears came true in 1842 when slaves in the Cherokee Nation made a daring dash for freedom.

http://www.coax.net/people/lwf/slave_rv.htm

Shouldn't y'all be cheering their punishment for enslaving the black man?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »
These "peaceful" Native Americans killed a shitload of people in non-Native settlements as well. The Alma Massacre, the Dakota War of 1862, the Klamath Indian Massacre, the Ward Massacre, the Whitman Massacre, Comanche Chief Buffalo Hump's raids in 1840, etc. The tactics used by the Natives to infiltrate at night and kill silently is still honored and revered to this day via the Army SF patch depicting a arrowhead with lightning bolts.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:30:38 PM »
Oh FFS!!! Here we go again....Sarge is right. The Five Civilized Tribes adopted the White Man's way. Right down to the slave owning.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:37:15 PM »
Yep, and some of the Freedmen were grandfathered into the tribes on the Dawes Rolls as well. On June 23rd, 2007, the descendents of those freed slaves were expelled from the Cherokee Tribe so the tribe wouldn't be forced to divide the government grants and exemptions among them anymore.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:50:12 PM »
Yep, and some of the Freedmen were grandfathered into the tribes on the Dawes Rolls as well. On June 23rd, 2007, the descendents of those freed slaves were expelled from the Cherokee Tribe so the tribe wouldn't be forced to divide the government grants and exemptions among them anymore.

My Great Grandmother is on the Indian Rolls in Oklahoma.  She was 1/4 Cherokee. 
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 08:59:27 PM »

My Great Grandmother is on the Indian Rolls in Oklahoma.  She was 1/4 Cherokee. 

My Great-great granmothers were too. They were 1/1 Creek.  :-)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 12:22:23 AM »
I have a little Cherokee in me, but not enough to make a difference.

How else can I become one of those deprived Native Americans?

Enquiring Minds wanna know.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline jukin

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »
The self-haters of the DUmp will go back to the crusades and farther to justify the actions of America's enemies today.

Lincoln was right.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 09:23:50 AM »
My husband and I are both card holding members of the Tribe. That vote was historic and controversial. And long overdue. It only affected about 3000 people and there have been appeals filed and threats to cut off the Nation. It's still a mess.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 04:49:35 PM »
Lincoln was right.

Umm . . . not to challenge you, but what did President Lincoln say?  I work in downtown Albany NY, in the midst of a bunch of left-leaning DUmb****s.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.