Author Topic: War without end - it's the American way  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
War without end - it's the American way
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:17:26 AM »
I'll start this out with a big  :bird:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2883988

NNN0LHI  (1000+ posts)      Mon Feb-18-08 10:06 AM
Original message
 Advertisements [?]http://www.santamariatimes.com/articles/2008/02/17/opin...

By Randy Alcorn/Right on Target

Americans like to think of themselves as the crest of the human wave, the highest manifestation of human potential to organize society for the maximum benefit of all its members. The greatest nation in the history of mankind.

Yet, such high self-esteem seems shameful vanity when belied by our poor choice of leaders, and where we have allowed them to take us. snip

On average since 1776, America has had a war every 19 years - roughly one for each generation of Americans. Some wars have been justifiable and necessary. For example, the Revolutionary War and World War II.

But other conflicts, such as the Mexican American, Spanish American and Vietnam wars, have had questionable justifications and were provoked by selfish interests or by political and ideological follies.

Indeed, in several cases, our political leaders have manipulated the nation into war by employing deceit and appealing to the public's irrational emotions of fear and rage.

George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, who used their congenital privilege to avoid combat in Vietnam, have employed artifice to push America into the ruinous Iraq war. They have not experienced the horror of war first hand - the dismembered bodies, the smell of burning flesh, the stomach-turning moans of the wounded and dying, the abject grief and despair of the survivors.

Shock and awe may be a powerful boast in a speech made thousands of miles from the war zone, but its reality is no source of pride.

:bird: :bird: :bird:

no_hypocrisy  (1000+ posts)      Mon Feb-18-08 10:15 AM
Response to Original message
2. It's part of the GDP

endarkenment (1000+ posts)       Mon Feb-18-08 10:19 AM
3. My entire lifetime: endless war.
 It really is discouraging.

IDemo (1000+ posts)       Mon Feb-18-08 10:51 AM
4. Arthur Silber writes of this at great length
 in his Dominion Over the World series.

In the earlier parts of this series, I maintained that, contrary to what many people believe, the war on Iraq represents a continuation of U.S. foreign policy over the last century (and slightly longer). It is time to limn the broad outlines of that foreign policy, and some of its major roots.

For that purpose, I will set out here a few key excerpts from Christopher Layne's very valuable book, The Peace of Illusions: American Grand Strategy from 1940 to the Present. Although Layne's focus begins with World War II, I will take certain aspects of his thesis back still farther: to the Spanish-American War and the ensuing U.S. occupation of the Philippines, and even to the Mexican-American War. As I have argued, the central themes go back to our very early history as a nation.

:bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: War without end - it's the American way
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:33 AM »
After I rule out their stupid playbook slogans, I can not get a liberal to tell me when the USA has acted as aggressors at any time in history.  Strange, that.   

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:51:02 AM »
After I rule out their stupid playbook slogans, I can not get a liberal to tell me when the USA has acted as aggressors at any time in history.  Strange, that. 

[DUmmie Mode] What? We were the aggressors of the illegal war in Iraq! In fact, the mere existance of the USA and it's murderous military machine is an aggressive provocation to the rest of the civilized world!
[/DUmmie Mode]
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:01:27 AM »

Yes Jan 9, 1861 when the Star of the West under flag of the USA instigated a fight with the cadets of the Citadel while trying to resupply Fort Sumter. Fort SUmter was being held by troops of the USA.

Then in July of 1861 the war of Northern Aggression was started when the USA invaded Virginia, (a state in another country),  around Manasas
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:03:22 AM by Crazy Horse »
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »

[DUmmie Mode] What? We were the aggressors of the illegal war in Iraq! In fact, the mere existence of the USA and it's murderous military machine is an aggressive provocation to the rest of the civilized world!
[/DUmmie Mode]

See, that doesn't work with me.  There is history which cannot be ignored.  At no time has the USA intervened in a peaceful situation to create a war for imperialistic purposes.  It just ain't EVER happened.

If liberals think the news out of Iraq is grim now, can you imagine what they would have thought if CNN had actually been reporting the truth from their Baghdad bureau all the years prior to the US intervention?  Remember, CNN thought (like all liberal-think) that their presence there was more important than their journalistic mission.  What if CNN had been reporting Saddam Hussein's daily body count?  What would liberals have done?

For a philosophical group who is ready to war with their own President over something as nonthreatening as 'waterboarding', why were they not ready to pick up arms themselves and stop the horrible slaughter going on in Iraq?  

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »
Why do we only have 50 states (and a few protectorates) and why hasn't Dubya turned on that mighty oil spigot in the M.E.? Where's the oil for blood they promised??? *eyeroll*
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
Why do we only have 50 states (and a few protectorates) and why hasn't Dubya turned on that mighty oil spigot in the M.E.? Where's the oil for blood they promised??? *eyeroll*

No kidding! Let's see...gas was about 1.45 a gallon on the day of the initial authorization for the Iraq war and today it is about 3.00 a gallon. So much for that war for oil crap. :whatever:

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 02:31:52 PM »
If liberals think the news out of Iraq is grim now, can you imagine what they would have thought if CNN had actually been reporting the truth from their Baghdad bureau all the years prior to the US intervention?  Remember, CNN thought (like all liberal-think) that their presence there was more important than their journalistic mission.  What if CNN had been reporting Saddam Hussein's daily body count?  What would liberals have done?

Not just that but they refused to report because they were concerned what saddam would kick them out.  CNN has openly admitted that prewar reporting was biased and censored. At leat now their reporting is just BIASED.

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 04:33:35 PM »

Yes Jan 9, 1861 when the Star of the West under flag of the USA instigated a fight with the cadets of the Citadel while trying to resupply Fort Sumter. Fort SUmter was being held by troops of the USA.

Then in July of 1861 the war of Northern Aggression was started when the USA invaded Virginia, (a state in another country),  around Manasas
Virginia was a state and a member of the USA, as it is now.  The quelling of an insurrection was in the national interest.

OK -- we're even.  You stated your view, I stated the historically-accurate counter. No reason to re-fight the battle between the states.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 06:07:49 PM »

I've been waiting since we started bombing Afghanistan for the cheap oil to start flooding our markets.

After all that's when the "No Blood For Oil" crap started this time around.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 07:02:37 PM »
So the DU is parroting Ron Paul and lewrockwell.com now? 

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 07:47:33 PM »
Can they show us a nation in history that wasn't at war once every generation?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 07:57:19 PM »

[DUmmie Mode] What? We were the aggressors of the illegal war in Iraq! In fact, the mere existence of the USA and it's murderous military machine is an aggressive provocation to the rest of the civilized world!
[/DUmmie Mode]

See, that doesn't work with me.  There is history which cannot be ignored.  At no time has the USA intervened in a peaceful situation to create a war for imperialistic purposes.  It just ain't EVER happened.

If liberals think the news out of Iraq is grim now, can you imagine what they would have thought if CNN had actually been reporting the truth from their Baghdad bureau all the years prior to the US intervention?  Remember, CNN thought (like all liberal-think) that their presence there was more important than their journalistic mission.  What if CNN had been reporting Saddam Hussein's daily body count?  What would liberals have done?

For a philosophical group who is ready to war with their own President over something as nonthreatening as 'waterboarding', why were they not ready to pick up arms themselves and stop the horrible slaughter going on in Iraq?  

I can't imagine what the libtards would be saying  about the US and WWII if that were aired on CNN.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 09:36:42 PM »
So the DU is parroting Ron Paul and lewrockwell.com now? 

Not sure who is copying whom in this one.  Both have been saying this crap for just about as long.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn