Author Topic: why does the United States even need an army?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
why does the United States even need an army?
« on: February 16, 2008, 03:42:31 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2876774

QuestionAll  (1000+ posts)        Sat Feb-16-08 03:41 PM
Original message
   Advertisements [?]

who is going to invade us, and from where?

in iraq, their "army" was basically a non-issue, as far as stopping us from getting to baghdad and "conquering" the country. what ended up REALLY ****ing us is the insurgency- and while many of those may be trained military/revolutionary guard troops/officers, a lot of them are also just regular guys-even kids, with weapons.

with this in mind, and knowing how well-armed the u.s. populace is- who in their right mind would ever try to invade and conquer us?

instead of a huge standing army, why don't we just rely on better trained/staffed/equipped national guard units in each state/region, with militias that could be called up as needed.

keep a strong navy/air force to protect shipping routes and combined with the coast guard, our shorelines, and skies.

i just feel that we spend WAY too much in terms of manpower, money, and resources on the military, and mostly for no really good reasons.

Answer....to protect your sorry a$$ while giving you the ability to post drivel on a treasonous Internet forum.  :censored:

dkf  (1000+ posts)        Sat Feb-16-08 03:44 PM
Response to Original message
1. Because we have done a lot of awful things in the past and made enemies?

Blame the USA....there is a surprise. ::)

elizfeelinggreat (194 posts)        Sat Feb-16-08 03:44 PM
2. why does the United States even need an army?
   why? Because it makes a LOT of profit for the military industrial complex.

That's the simple answer.

(I totally agree with you that we spend too much, BTW)

KansDem  (1000+ posts)        Sat Feb-16-08 03:49 PM
3. Protect corporate interests abroad...
   A nation's people tend to get upset when they discover AnyUSACorp is in their country to rape and pillage...

Husb2Sparkly  (1000+ posts)         Sat Feb-16-08 03:54 PM
5. I believe there's a need for an army (for a whole military, actually) ...... but ......
   ..... not one as big as ours. Ours is far more than a defensive army. It is a offensive organization that is used to project strength and power and intimidate the shit out of people. It has failed to do the latter for the last 30 years.

But we need a military as a defensive measure. The world will always have bad actors and we need to be ready.

No .... I am not an advocate of endless war. I think our military and our DoD can get by on 1/4 the budget they now have **exclusive** of the obscene amount spent on The Bush Family's Embarrassment's wars.

Please explain the function and capability of your military dipsh!t?
Oh yeah,you folks never think or worry about details.

fifthgendem  (1000+ posts)         Sat Feb-16-08 03:55 PM
7. Because we're a peace-loving people . . .
   and starting wars is the only way to make peace.

:censored:

uperduperfarleft  (356 posts)        Sat Feb-16-08 03:57 PM
8. We don't.
   It's an enormous waste of resources that only exists to make certain industries extremely rich. I'd be comfortable with a very localized National Guard-type force, but the major branches of the military should be completely abolished.

And you are an idiot who would be the first to scream when your civil rights were REALLY taken by those who have chosen to be an enemy of freedom for the last 70 years.

provis99  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 04:24 PM
10. lets let the 2nd Amendment gun nuts protect us
   rather than the military; assuming they don't shoot us first...

No fool,we would be the first ones to actually stand up and do that.
It is what Americans do.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: why does the United States even need an army?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »
They sound like Ronulans.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 04:54:20 PM »
The primitives want the US to be like post WW2 Japan and not have a standing Army but, be allowed to have a small National Guard type defensive force. One flaw (of many) in the primitive's plan is Japan had us to defend their asses. If we drew down we would have no defense. This is why I pray to God the primitives never are in power.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 04:58:11 PM »
Didn't one of those dumbshits post the exact same thing, on which we had a thread, a few days ago?

:banghead:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 05:04:30 PM »
Didn't one of those dumbshits post the exact same thing, on which we had a thread, a few days ago?

:banghead:

Well it is very rare when we see an original thought at DU.  :lmao:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 05:07:35 PM »
well, whose going to protect them when they riot? or protest? or any of the number of natural disasters that they think the military is really supposed to be used for?  :whatever:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 05:23:37 PM »
Someone has to protect Oh Canada.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 09:08:11 PM »
uperduperfarleft  (356 posts)        Sat Feb-16-08 03:57 PM
8. We don't.
   It's an enormous waste of resources that only exists to make certain industries extremely rich. I'd be comfortable with a very localized National Guard-type force, but the major branches of the military should be completely abolished.
Moron.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 09:10:20 PM »
A better question is, Why does the United States need Moonbats?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »
QuestionAll  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Feb-16-08 03:41 PM
Original message

To protect everyone in this country, including moonbats.

3. Protect corporate interests abroad...

A nation's people tend to get upset when they discover AnyUSACorp is in their country to rape and pillage...
   Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

:bird:

superduperfarleft  Donating Member  (358 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Feb-16-08 03:57 PM
8. We don't.

Demagitator  (16 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Feb-16-08 08:03 PM
17. I sort of agree

America does need an army, but one that is non-violent; it is way to large as well.

And, as a pacifist, I study the nature of War, and modern day politics relationship to it. It is, also -- simply impractical to have such a large military force, even from a traditional military tactic point of view.

It is true, that it is not ever likely to ever be another World War, so the need for a large military, should be eliminated.

Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 07:58:10 AM »
Demagitator  (16 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Feb-16-08 08:03 PM
17. I sort of agree

America does need an army, but one that is non-violent; it is way to large as well.

And, as a pacifist, I study the nature of War, and modern day politics relationship to it. It is, also -- simply impractical to have such a large military force, even from a traditional military tactic point of view.

It is true, that it is not ever likely to ever be another World War, so the need for a large military, should be eliminated.

Well, genius, if you'd studied a little harder, maybe you would have figured out that our current Army is a sixth to a tenth the size of the one we had in the last World War (depending on how you want to reckon size) with a Navy that is at most a quarter the size that it was in 1945.  Perhaps the idea might also have tripped over your hyper-energized neurons that even aside from the needs presented by small wars, the best way to not actually need an Army for a big one is to have a highly capable one, because like guns, it's much better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 04:09:53 PM »

Those liberals won't just round themselves up ya know.

Online Airwolf

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 04:34:18 PM »
"To protect everyone in this country, including moonbats."

Can we get an exception to that. I mean its not lke we would be saving anything important like baby seals.

MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"