Author Topic: primitives question military primitives  (Read 636 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives question military primitives
« on: October 07, 2008, 06:03:39 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4183625

Oh my.

The things the primitives think of.

timeforarevolution  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Oct-07-08 06:21 AM
Original message

A question for military DUers:

I see the civilians' role as being a watchdog so our "leaders" don't send our soldiers into battle needlessly, and certainly not to funnel funds to their military industrial complex cronies like Halliburton.

I would think those in the military would depend on us to watch their backs in this regard, and work to keep them out of harm's way, not criticizing their service, but criticizing the mission itself when necessary. Criticism of the mission is often with the intention of preventing more death and maiming; I would think our soldiers would want us watching out for their well-being.

I have loved ones who have served in years past, including Vietnam, and have only respect for their service, even if I have little to no respect for the mission itself.

The Palins of the world use the military as a shield to whip up their base (as well as racism: please see my other question, http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph... ), acting like anyone who criticizes Bush's war of choice in Iraq is criticizing the military. Not so. At all.

Yet it's hard to counter that viewpoint when people have an emotional knee-jerk reaction of "you don't support the troops!!!"

I'm asking your thoughts, based on personal experience or friendships/relationships with those with personal experience in war, how we can best suppport the soldiers, many of whom could be our own children, spouses, etc., when we have all been lied to regarding the mission they've been sent on.

I constantly hear that criticising the mission is the same as criticising the troops. I can't wrap my brain around that, and I also can't wrap my brain around staying quiet when lives are at stake even if some inadvertently take offense.

My sister refuses to watch CNN because "they never show the good things going on in Iraq, only the bad. Liberals hate the troops."

Thoughts, suggestions, insight?

rpannier  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Tue Oct-07-08 06:39 AM
Response to Original message

1. Just remind those people that

Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Thomas Keane, Samuel Adams, Richard Henry Lee and JOhn Hancock all criticized the job George Washington did while Commander of the Continental Army.

Do they consider those men to be America haters and people that didn't support the troops?

Uh, everybody but EVERYBODY criticized George Washington.

Sort of the like the primitives criticize another George circa 225 years later.

unhappycamper  DU Moderator Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Tue Oct-07-08 06:54 AM
Response to Original message

2. Tough question.

As you can tell by my avatar, I spent a few years in uncle sam's Army.

To my way of thinking, the best support we can provide is to bring them home and take care of them when they come home. Nicolson and now Peake have not been taking care of PTSD, disability claims, and suicides. Their mouths move but little happens.

The backlog of VA disability claims is somewhere between 400,000~600,000 cases. The metrics used in the process is bogus at best, criminal more than likely.

Veterans of all wars are offing themselves to the tune of 1,000 a month; 18 per month are under VA care.

Veterans represent 25% of the homeless population (prior to the recent meltdown) yet represent only 12% of adult population of the United States. Why is that?

Vietnam veterans argued with the VA for years about the deleterious effects of Agent Orange. No joy.

Veterans of wars since Bosnia will have to deal with depleted uranium poisoning. (I think this is going to dwarf Agent Orange 'problems'.)

About the only 'good' thing that came of the Vietnam war for me was my GI Bill. My Bachelor's degree and books were paid for by uncle.

I dunno.  I think our military does a damned fine job.

If they weren't doing a damned fine job, they'd for sure hear from me.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: primitives question military primitives
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:29:40 AM »
The Palins of the world use the military as a shield to whip up their base (as well as racism: please see my other question, http://www.democraticunde...nd.com/discuss/duboard.ph... ), acting like anyone who criticizes Bush's war of choice in Iraq is criticizing the military. Not so. At all.

In other words......"Anyone who criticizes Obama is a racist but just because we DUmmies criticize the Iraq war don`t say we are criticizing the military."

Work hard everyday DUmmy to keep the walls that separate opposing beliefs in your mind intact?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: primitives question military primitives
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:48:01 AM »
The military is totally on board with the whole "Civilians in charge" thing, that goes with the Oath.  However we really, really don't like being 'Helped' DU or Carter-style, the hilt of the knife sticking out of our back is very uncomfortable if we try to sit in a chair or lean against a wall for a rest.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.