Author Topic: Need Investment Guidance? Ask The DUmp!  (Read 1396 times)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Need Investment Guidance? Ask The DUmp!
« on: October 04, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »
AzNick (347 posts)      Sat Oct-04-08 01:07 PM
Original message
Should I buy some stocks now?
Is Wall Street going to react positively to the bailout?

Is now the right time to buy some undervalued stocks, or can it really be worse than it already got?

Thanks!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4169129

Can you, in your darkest moment, imagine asking the DUmp "community" for investment advice? Consider that it's where stevenumbers goes for his investing info, and he is no more successful financially than he is sexually.

For his sake, I hope DUmmy AzNick is a troll, trying to bait the DUmp into revealing their dependably stupid opinions. He got a few:

Oregone (1000+ posts)      Sat Oct-04-08 01:11 PM
Response to Original message
1. You are better of buying wine
Much better ROI than stocks, and you can drink it if all goes to hell.

But not, pardon the pun, nearly as liquid as other investments

Tuesday Afternoon  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-04-08 01:18 PM
4. I would buy land. n/t

There may be an argument for this, but in DUmmy Tuesday Afternoon's case, I'm sure he has just now become aware of a huge boom in real estate.

DUmmy Zevon fan is the only one who confines his comments to his area of expertise:
Zevon fan  (400 posts)        Sat Oct-04-08 01:26 PM
8. Or socks...
People won't be able to afford shoes so they will have to wear multiple layers of socks. Those with lots of socks will do well.
Buy socks. Not stocks. 

Offline comradebillyboy

Re: Need Investment Guidance? Ask The DUmp!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
Maybe a better alternative to seeking economic advice at the DUmp would be to do a little research on what investments are doing well and which are doing poorly.

I think I'll invest in a case of 25 year old single malt scotch. One of my friends invested in silver back when the price was at an all time high. Shortly thereafter the price fell through the floor. He ended up using the silver ingots as weights in his workouts.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »
Dear lord, asking for investment advice at the DUmp is like asking a pedophile for child rearing advice.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Online jukin

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »
Dear lord, asking for investment advice at the DUmp is like asking a pedophile for child rearing advice.

Or on suggestions on substance abuse.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline InfamousAndy

• Just Off Probation
  • The Friendly Christian
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:43:16 AM »
This person isn't interested in investing, they are interested in gambling.  The investor is worried about the long-term.  Only the gambler will be looking at the direct effects of the short-term.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 09:25:04 AM »

Nio, THAT you could get great advice on.  What makes you highest, what you should ask your doctor for, how much you can make on the street -- the DUmp is your one-top information souce on all things druggie-related.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 01:03:48 PM »
Maybe a better alternative to seeking economic advice at the DUmp would be to do a little research on what investments are doing well and which are doing poorly.

I think I'll invest in a case of 25 year old single malt scotch. One of my friends invested in silver back when the price was at an all time high. Shortly thereafter the price fell through the floor. He ended up using the silver ingots as weights in his workouts.

It has never ceased to amaze me when the economy starts to falter/stutter. You have certain folks that swear Purchasing precious medals is a sure fire way to ride it out. Yep it is a sure fire way to ride it out problem is the vast majority ride it out to big looses.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:58:55 AM »

Or professional career advice! Well, if by 'career' we meant living on welfare then yeah, the DUmmies would be good advisors I guess.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 10:47:03 AM »

Pun intended, DH?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 10:56:12 AM »
It has never ceased to amaze me when the economy starts to falter/stutter. You have certain folks that swear Purchasing precious medals is a sure fire way to ride it out. Yep it is a sure fire way to ride it out problem is the vast majority ride it out to big looses.

Speaking as someone who buys silver casting grain for purposes of actually making stuff out of it, I hope everyone who ran the price up three times over during the past five years or so takes such a bath on it that they never, ever consider touching it again.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 12:03:15 AM »
Pun intended, DH?

DOH! I did not even see that pun coming....