Author Topic: primitives roast pork  (Read 2234 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives roast pork
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:04:53 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x49006

Oh my.

Phoebe Loosinhouse  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Wed Oct-01-08 08:07 AM
Original message

My Pork Pot Roast

I had 1/2 of a pork loin roast last night and decided I would do something a little different than just roasting it as usual. I wondered how it would come out if I turned it into a pot roast.

I seasoned it heavily with Montreal Steak seasoning, then browned it on all sides and removed and took out any burned seasoning from the pan. Then I sauteed 1/2 a finely diced carrot, 1/2 a finely diced apple and 1/2 of a finely diced onion, and 2 cloves of diced garlic for about 3 minutes. I added 1 T of tomato paste and 1T of brown sugar and some thyme and rosemary. I put in a very generous glug of Madeira (my favorite cooking wine) and a good glug of chicken broth. I brought it to a simmer, covered it. and let it cook slowly on the stovetop for almost 2 hours (adding more liquid- wine and or broth as needed) Then I sliced up some red potato and some apple and some onion and added it to the pot for about 1/2hr.- 45 min.

When done, the meat was just meltingly tender.

Then of course, it was too late to eat it for dinner and we ate Chinese leftovers instead.

But, we'll have it tonight. It sure smelled fantastic when it was done.

The stomach only works during dinner hours?

kestrel91316  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Wed Oct-01-08 01:19 PM
Response to Original message

1. I love my pork braised until it's falling apart.........sounds GREAT!

Uh oh.

hippywife  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 02:02 PM

2. Okay!

I had my coop order all done this morning and had to go back and order a pork loin.

Is pork okay for somebody with a diverted intestine?

The empressof all  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Wed Oct-01-08 02:08 PM

3. God I love Roast Pork

It's up there on my list of favorite meats. I love it roasted with Sauerkraut and little potatoes cooked in the pork fat. My current favorite is a shoulder roast cooked in the pressure cooker with a head of garlic and some spicy Pace Picante Sauce. I cook it till it's meltingly tender then serve it up on those onion buns with slices of swiss cheese and pickles. I store it in individual sandwich size baggies in the freezer for quick and yummie dinners. I don't eat it much anymore but the Old Man Loves it.

Uh oh again.

hippywife  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 02:11 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. That's what I'll probably do with mine.

Roast it with kraut, a little pepper and garlic. Some butter potatoes on the side.

I'm starting to get sort of a queasy feeling about Grandma's diverted intestine, what with the pepper and garlic.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Flame

Re: primitives roast pork
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:02:04 PM »
the best thing about a pork roast is making green chili with the leftovers!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 10:42:33 PM »
I'm starting to get sort of a queasy feeling about Grandma's diverted intestine, what with the pepper and garlic.

pepper and garlic may cause her heartburn...but it isn't going to affect the "divert". seeds and nuts affect the divert.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 12:33:52 AM »
pepper and garlic may cause her heartburn...but it isn't going to affect the "divert". seeds and nuts affect the divert.

Seeds and nuts affecting diverticulitis is an old wives tale.......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 08:16:53 AM »
Seeds and nuts affecting diverticulitis is an old wives tale.......

M has it....and the gastroenterologist told him that eating a lot of stuff with seeds, nuts, popcorn would irritate the condition and if the pockets filled up with them and got infected...he'd be in a world of hurt. 
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Thor

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »
Mayo Clinic gastroenterologist Michael Picco, M.D., and colleagues answer select questions from readers.

In the past, many doctors recommended that people with diverticulosis avoid seeds and nuts, including foods with small seeds, such as tomatoes, cucumbers and strawberries. It was thought that these tiny particles could lodge in the diverticula and cause inflammation (diverticulitis). But there is no scientific evidence that seeds and nuts cause diverticulitis flares. In fact, eating a high-fiber diet — which may include nuts and seeds — reduces the risk of diverticular disease.

However, if you have diverticulitis and you believe that nuts and seeds trigger your attacks, avoid them. Just make sure you get enough fiber from other dietary sources.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diverticulitis-diet/AN01255

In the past, many doctors recommended that people with diverticulosis avoid foods with small seeds such as tomatoes or strawberries because they believed that the particles could lodge in the diverticula and cause inflammation. While there's no evidence supporting this idea, some people do find that eating nuts and seeds during an attack of diverticulitis can be irritating to the inflamed intestinal lining, so I would suggest staying away from them. If you're prone to diverticulitis but not having an attack, I think it's fine to experiment with some seeds or nuts to find out whether or how much you can tolerate these foods. Another important strategy to prevent an attack is to add other types of fiber to your diet in the form of wheat bran or psyllium. You can buy powdered psyllium seed husks at health food stores without the sweeteners and dyes found in drugstore products. Be sure to drink plenty of water when you're taking these bulking agents. You also may feel better during diverticulitis attacks if you take a stool softener such as Dialose, Colace, or another brand containing docusate, a drug that is available over-the-counter. Try to relieve stress through deep breathing exercises, yoga, or other stress-reduction methods.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA26673

It's a myth that seeds and nuts leads to diverticulitis, perpetuated by this doctor in an article here:

Maddox said that before the attack, Kilpatrick ate a large bag of peanuts, popcorn and sunflower seeds, all of which could have contributed to the flare-up.

UptoDate says otherwise:

Patients with diverticular disease have historically been advised to avoid whole pieces of fiber (such as seeds, corn, and nuts) because of concern that the undigested fragments could become lodged within a diverticulum, thereby inciting an episode of diverticulitis. The commonly heard advice to avoid small undigestible foods (such as seeds) because they may theoretically become lodged in a diverticulum is completely unproven and is probably little more than an old wives' tale. The authors have seen tens of thousands of diverticula and never seen a single seed!

There continues to be considerable practice variation with regard to this recommendation. In a survey of colorectal surgeons, one-half believed that the avoidance of seeds and nuts was of no value. We have generally not recommended the avoidance of these specific foods.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2006/07/diverticulitis-seeds-and-nuts.html

Nuts, Seeds, Popcorn Don't Boost Diverticulosis Risk
Date updated: August 26, 2008
Content provided by Health Day

TUESDAY, Aug. 26 (HealthDay News) -- People with diverticular disease, a common digestive disorder, are typically told to avoid eating popcorn, nuts, seeds and corn so they don't get painful attacks.

But, a new study calls into question that conventional wisdom. The study of more than 47,000 men found that eating those foods did not seem to increase the risk of diverticulosis or diverticular complications.

"We found, contrary to current recommendations, that actually, consumption of these foods did not increase the risk of diverticulitis or diverticular bleeding and didn't appear to increase the risk of developing diverticulosis or its complications," said study lead author Dr. Lisa Strate, an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Washington School of Medicine, in Seattle.

The findings are published in the Aug. 27 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Diverticular disease affects the colon, the part of the large intestine that discards waste. Diverticulosis occurs when pouches -- called diverticula -- form in the colon. Stool or bacteria can lodge in the pouches. Diverticulitis occurs when the pouches get inflamed; symptoms can include bleeding, infection or a blockage of the digestive system.

One third of U.S. adults have diverticulosis by age 60, although most do not experience serious problems. By age 85, two-thirds of people have come down with the condition, according to the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

The exact cause isn't known, although many experts blame a low-fiber diet. Muscle strain during defecation may cause the pouches to form.

The advice to avoid nuts, seeds, popcorn and corn comes from the belief that these foods may be more likely to become lodged within the pouches. But there's been no proof demonstrating such a link.

And Strate's study failed to find a link, either. Evaluating data from the long-running Health Professionals Follow-up Study, a cohort of men followed from 1986 to 2004, she and her colleagues looked at medical records every two years and dietary information for every four years. The men ranged in age from 40 to 75.
http://www.revolutionhealth.com/articles/nuts-seeds-popcorn-dont-boost-diverticulosis-risk/hd-618766
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 10:12:30 AM »
I surrender..... :bow:

Offline Thor

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 11:51:50 AM »

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 02:57:47 PM »
 :hammer:

don't gloat so loudly.....it's not polite!

:tongue: your own self!

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »
My Pork Pot Roast

I had 1/2 of a pork loin roast last night

I am  surprised this DUmmy isn't threatened with banning for offending the followers of the pedophile prophet (piece be upon him).