Author Topic: A Little Cop Luvin on the Island: Officers Knocking On Home Doors To Warn...  (Read 1311 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4095274

The Straight Story  (1000+ posts)       Fri Sep-26-08 10:34 AM
Original message
Officers Knocking On Home Doors To Warn Potential Easy Crime Targets
Officers Knocking On Home Doors To Warn Potential Easy Crime Targets
Several Homes Found With Garage Doors Open

WINTER SPRINGS, Fla. -- Police officers are knocking on doors of Central Florida homes and warning families who appear to be easy targets for criminals.

Officers recently began driving through some Seminole County neighborhoods with increased crime rates and notifying homeowners that their homes are vulnerable.

Winter Springs police Lt. Ken Frein and other officers warned several homeowners late Thursday that their garage doors were open.

"We are just going around the neighborhood and letting people know when they're garage doors are open," Winter Springs police Lt. Ken Frein said. "In most cases, it is people who came home late or their kids came in and out and the garage door is open and after a while the security light shuts off."

Garage-door crimes appear to be a new crime trend in the area.

"With young kids and everything that is going on and dogs in the house, it is real easy to forget (garage doors)," homeowner Carolyn Wertz said. "It's a scary thought. So, having an officer come around and letting you know that your garage door (is up), I appreciate that."

http://www.local6.com/news/17563289/detail.html

They should be warning them about republicans.
Okay...  :mental:

Wow!  A DU thread about cops being nice and doing community policing! Surely THIS will go well...

BlooInBloo  (1000+ posts)       Fri Sep-26-08 10:36 AM
Response to Original message
1. Nobody should ever invite a cop into their house or anywhere else without a warrant.

nomad1776  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 10:39 AM
Response to Reply #1
2. Unless you have a meth lab or a pot farm, why the **** not?
 they are trying to HELP these people out, give them a break
Let's call this Primitive the "Reason Troll". He is the one speaking like a sensible law abiding citizen all through the thread here where he gets castigated by drug addicts and losers.

nomad1776  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 10:42 AM
Response to Reply #3
5. There are only two things that bring me shame for being a liberal
 one were the liberal assholes that mistreated troops that were returning from Vietnam and the other are cop hating bigots.

BlooInBloo  (1000+ posts)       Fri Sep-26-08 10:45 AM
Response to Reply #5
7. Can't. Stop. Laughing. At. You.

Artiechoke  (1000+ posts)       Fri Sep-26-08 10:47 AM
Response to Reply #5
8. You've never heard of cop impersonation?
 Any asshole can dress up as a cop and commit a crime.

nomad1776  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 10:48 AM
Response to Reply #8
12. That is a rare problem, much rarer since 9/11
 however the patrol car is much more difficult to fake.
  :rotf:

AllieB  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 10:48 AM
Response to Reply #5
11. "one were the liberal assholes that mistreated troops that were returning from Vietnam"
 Nice right-wing meme you're spreading.

nomad1776  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 11:28 AM
Response to Reply #14
36. Yeah even Obama thinks you are wrong
 "One of the saddest episodes in our history was the degree to which returning vets from Vietnam were shunned, demonized and neglected by some because they served in an unpopular war. Too many of those who opposed the war in Vietnam chose to blame not only the leaders who ordered the mission, but the young men who simply answered their country’s call. Four decades later, the sting of that injustice is a wound that has never fully healed, and one that should never be repeated."

BlooInBloo  (1000+ posts)       Fri Sep-26-08 11:31 AM
Response to Reply #36
40. Well at least you get credit for successfully turning the topic from evil ****ing racist cops...
 To Vietnam vets. Kudos to you!

nomad1776  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 11:34 AM
Response to Reply #40
42. You never stood a chance, when you called all cops "evil" and "racist"
 you were just plain wrong and doomed from the get go

Indenturedebtor  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 11:09 AM
Response to Reply #18
25. Have you ever had anything bad happen to you and had cops treat you like a criminal?
 Or how about -have you ever broken a minor law and had the cops make shit up? I have... twice. And about everyone I know has seen cops break the law in applying the law, abuse their power, and generally treat people like shit. They spend more time running around enforcing the Poor Tax than helping people.

Bleh. 
Somebody's bitter about their drug priors.

nomad1776  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 11:31 AM
Response to Reply #25
38. I have seen good cops and bad ones
 I have also seen idiot people get treated well and then poorly because they acted like horse's asses toward the police. I am not about to make any sort of intellectually dishonest and ethically repugnant sweeping generalization.

Indenturedebtor  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 11:40 AM
Response to Reply #38
43. Well power corrupts and they have too much power. 
 Many people here have been harassed and abused by cops so we don't want them anywhere near us. I personally don't know anyone that a cop has helped. I know plenty of people who've had their lives ruined or seriously impeded over stupid shit tht wasn't hurting anyone though. 
  :whatever:

Indenturedebtor  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-27-08 10:48 AM
Response to Reply #44
59. That's true, but I don't want to be around them. And you have to admit that things need to change
 The police have too much power and our laws make everyone a criminal. I'm sure there are many cops who don't want to treat everyone like a criminal but feel that they have to anyway because everyone is a criminal. It's a real shame, but I don't want to be near any cops. 
See... This is why you don't hit the pipe before posting on the internet.  My 7 year old can write better argumenative.

Bornaginhooligan (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 02:36 PM
Response to Reply #2
55. Because they could rape you or mug you.
  :wtf2:

shadowknows69  (1000+ posts)       Fri Sep-26-08 10:41 AM
Response to Reply #1
4. Agree, this is just more getting us used to having figures of military like authority
In our faces and on our streets constantly. I don't need you to tell me if my ****in garage door is open Go bust a ****ing meth lab or something. Get some guns off the street. Save lives not property.

JulieRB  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 10:54 AM
Response to Original message
20. They're not entering your home
 They're knocking at the front door and telling you you might want to shut the garage door. The cops in our hometown have been doing this for years. The only people that bitch about it are those who haven't been robbed yet.

If the people in question don't give a shit about their own possessions or safety, fine. We (and others in the neighborhood) don't need to deal with a criminal who's trolling for a target because my stupid neighbor doesn't know enough to shut the garage door when he goes to bed at night.

Julie

Indenturedebtor  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 11:13 AM
Response to Reply #20
28. What happens if you're smoking pot when they knock on the door?
 Your life is ruined forever that's what happens. They take your house and put your family out on the street. Maybe if you're lucky they taze you to death first.

Change the laws back to where 90% of citizens aren't guilty of some victimless crime and the cops can come knock on my door. Until then they can keep their facist command presence bullshit as far away from me as possible. 

JulieRB  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 01:29 PM
Response to Reply #28
51. I don't use substances. They're not allowed on our property, either.
 Nice to know that you believe all cops are corrupt and "fascist", too.

Julie

lib2DaBone (962 posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 04:14 PM
Response to Reply #28
58. Not a good idea to invite Cops in to your house.....
 Because of the "Plain View Doctrine". Anything laying out in plain sight.. is reason for arrest. You know that Hanna Montana CD your kid copied from her friend..? Contraban. You know that parking ticket on your kitchen table you meant to pay 30 days ago? oops.. Lock up time.. come with me. You know those empty beer cans sitting wating to be crushed and recycled? "Sir.. have you been drinking tonight? Would you mind walking on this line for me?" You think I'm kidding?
This is my favorite.  What a total ****ing Moron. Is this idiot actually afraid of someone locking them up for Operating A House While Intoxicated?!  :p :lmao:

High Plains (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 02:35 PM
Response to Reply #53
54. It's another corrosive consequence of the war on drugs. 
 880,000 arrested for pot last year, 1.8 million for all drug arrests. About 90% of those arrests were for simple possession.

Tens of millions of Americans smoke pot, including, by their own admissions, many posters here. None of those people want to see the cops at their door, period.

The hideous hypocrisy of the drug laws and the enthusiasm with which they are enforced by police makes many people disrespect the law and the people who enforce it.

Oh, and then there's the constant flow of police brutality stories.

Wonder why people don't like cops? It's not irrational; there are reasons for it.

Indenturedebtor  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-27-08 10:57 AM
Response to Reply #50
61. Yep everyone is a criminal who needs to be investigated. We're all guilty they just need proof.
 Tryin to catch me ridin dirty. 

Holy Hell.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 02:52:45 PM by asdf2231 »

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
These are the same folks that a few days ago all claimed to have IQs of 140 or higher?
These are the same folks that believe they are entitled to have a position of power over the average citizen?
These are the same folks that whine all the time about how unfair life is to them despite their tolerance and compassion?

These folks are the bottom of the barrel losers of our society.
Lurking DUmmies take your me me me attitude and rot in effing hell.

Offline Vagabond

Some communities will ticket you  for leaving your garage door open unattended.  These cops aren't interested in anything except getting the residents to pay attention. 
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline jinxmchue

These are the same folks that a few days ago all claimed to have IQs of 140 or higher?

Well, no, not all of them (some actually were honest), but I think the average worked out to be something like that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:47:44 AM by jinxmchue »

Offline jinxmchue

nomad1776  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-26-08 10:39 AM
Response to Reply #1
2. Unless you have a meth lab or a pot farm, why the **** not?

Nomad unwittingly stumbles upon the truth.

And here's proof:

BlooInBloo  (1000+ posts)       Fri Sep-26-08 10:45 AM
Response to Reply #5
7. Can't. Stop. Laughing. At. You.

BIB is high.

Offline Zeus

Well I guess the Police so as to not Inconvenience the homeowners/Renters could just make note of the address and let the insurance company know.  :evillaugh:
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline jukin

Police: "Sir, your garage door was left open."

Jukin: "Thanks, it slipped my mind."

End of story.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Airwolf

These are the same folks that believe they are entitled to have a position of power over the average citizen?
These are the same folks that whine all the time about how unfair life is to them despite their tolerance and compassion?

These folks are the bottom of the barrel losers of our society.
Lurking DUmmies take your me me me attitude and rot in effing hell.

Hi5 for that one
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Zeus

Brits urged to leave sheds open for thieves!
http://www.dailyindia.com/show/275313.php

London, October 1: Bristol City Council is urging people to leave their sheds open because padlocks could lead to thieves forcing their way through doors and windows of the council-owned sheds to steal garden equipment.

The council said that its new initiative could save taxpayers' money because fewer sheds would have to be repaired or replaced.

"Don't padlock your shed; it can save the shed being damaged if someone does try to get into it. If there is a break-in, always inform the police," the Telegraph quoted its guide as reading.

The advice has not gone down well with a gardener at Bifield Allotments, in the Stockwood area of the city, whose shed was broken into a few weeks ago.

Terry Nichols, 71, a retired engineering consultant, who has rented a plot at the site for more than 25 years, said: "It beggars belief that the council is telling us to leave our sheds wide open so that anyone can get in them. Everyone who has an allotment has been sent a letter. I have never read anything so ridiculous in all my life. I doubt the council would pay up if the sheds were burgled while they were left unlocked."

A spokesman said: "Where sheds have been repeatedly broken into, our advice, and it is only advice, is not to padlock them as forced entry often results in the doors being jemmied off. The city council takes security at the site seriously and this year has improved fencing."

He admitted that leaving the sheds unlocked could leave expensive equipment uninsured.

He said: "It would be a matter for discussion between the allotment-holder and their insurance company which would be able to advise them on the conditions of their policy."

The council policy contradicted that of Avon and Somerset Police, whose advice is to "secure your shed with good-quality hasps and hinges attached with coach bolts and security screws, use good-quality padlocks and a battery-powered shed alarm."

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:13:10 PM by Zeus »
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.