Author Topic: dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher takes a bath on stock market  (Read 701 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher takes a bath on stock market
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:02:12 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4131975

Oh my.

And remember, the dysmenopausal Kansas schoolteacher Hates capitalism.

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 10:59 AM
Original message

I have lived without credit cards for years.

I make a good living. I have a masters degree and have advanced in my profession. My house is paid for and I have a decent but not fancy car. I am approaching retirement.

And I lost a lot of money in the stock market yesterday. But I am not angry.

I want my government to help PEOPLE, not corporations. My portfolio will recover. But 18,000 people will die in the US this year because they don't have health insurance. The number of homeless vets on our streets will continue to rise while our government fails to address their needs.

The middle class will continue to suffer and shrink. More and more of our kids won't be able to afford college.

So please don't ask me, an educated person who lives without credit cards, to just blindly approve of handing money over to corporations without holding them accountable. And don't ask me to go along with any bailout that ignores the homeless, the uninsured, and any American PEOPLE who need our help.

Sample primitive comments, selected at random:

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 11:43 AM
Response to Reply #1

12. Yes I do have a mortgage and a car loan

My point is (and I will acknowledge I wasn't very articulate) that even though I do live with as little credit as possible, I did lose money in the market. But I would rather see our country reach out to the homeless than to Wall Street.

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 11:44 AM
Response to Reply #2

13. I work for a school district funded by tax dollars.

So yes, my employer survives WITHOUT credit.

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 01:08 PM
Response to Reply #33

68. I honestly don't think our district does that

We have trouble finding vendors to do business with because the district for years didn't pay its bills on time. So now they are operating on cash on hand only. At least that's what they tell us.

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 01:44 PM
Response to Reply #35

76. Yes my parents were depression babies

And they had every credit card available. They taught me to go without them and not have the debt.

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 11:47 AM
Response to Reply #14

18. We rented from Enterprise last year with only a debit card

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 01:35 PM
Response to Reply #22

74. Wouldn't they need your SS # to do that?

We didn't give them that.

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 11:46 AM
Response to Reply #8

16. I use my debit card all the time like others use credit cards

I have booked planes and hotels, bought things and yes, even rented cars many many times. Not a problem.

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 01:46 PM
Response to Reply #27

77. Yes I have fraud protection

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 01:46 PM
Response to Reply #31

78. Yes I am sure

It comes straight out of my checking account.

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 11:45 AM
Response to Reply #5

15. I use my debit card

sfexpat2000  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 11:53 AM
Response to Original message

24. The thing is, Bush and his cabal tried to use a real problem to hold us up AGAIN. And Dodd, Schumer and Franks should die of shame for helping him do that. Obama has shown zero leadership and the best Pelosi did was to let it fail, which doesn't solve the problem.

There is a credit crisis and it is hurting small business -- who was already hurting. But the fix for that isn't to hand over brazillions of dollars in a blank check to these crooks. We need restructuring and regulation NOW, not AFTER they get the money. And even without that, Paulson can TODAY call a moratorium on foreclosures.

The Democrats are so used to carrying water for BushCo, they need an intervention. The whole leadership.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

If the Democrats are carrying water for George Bush, how come by the time George Bush gets the bucket, it's empty?

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 01:11 PM
Response to Reply #38

69. I put X number of dollars into savings every month and when I need a big ticket item, like an appliance, I use my savings. If the money isn't there I can't buy it. It's a great motivator to save.

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 01:14 PM
Response to Reply #44

70. We have paid cash for college so far

Since we have very little debt, we have more cash on hand than most folks. And as I said in another post, I did have a mortgage. Paid it off early by saving and not having credit card bills. And I do have a car loan.

The people who lost money on pensions (I am one of them) need to hold the financial institutions responsible. Not the taxpayers.

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-30-08 01:17 PM
Response to Reply #51

71. Once I paid mine off - about 25 years ago, I took the money I was spending on cc payments and put it in savings. I still do that, only it is a larger amount now. Then when I need something I would have used a credit card for, I take the money out of savings. If the money isn't there, we don't get to buy that new refrigerator or dishwasher we need. It's a great motivator to save.

Doug's ex-wife by the way bawls throughout the bonfire.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Re: dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher takes a bath on stock market
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 01:27:59 PM »
BadCat, don't be insistent on facts. Accuracy is just another word for oppression in DU bizarro world.   :(

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:16 PM »
Over time, a number of DUmmies have claimed to be solvent. Some have even claimed to be financially comfortable. Now, I know that nearly every word from a DUmmy is most assuredly untrue, but in all these cases a single condition seems to exist. Nearly every one who claims to work is sucking the public teat. A couple have claimed to be lawyers, and one I think claimed to be a physician, but those are clearly bouncy claims. The only ones I can remember with believable jobs of any substance are on the taxpayers tab. Virtually all DUmmies who claim to work in the private sector are minimum wage or less.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 01:35:52 PM »
A one day blip is meaningless -- just like last week when the market dipped and then rose 400 points to end a few points down.

Only idiots and day traders (synonyms?) care about a short term change -- even a big one.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 04:33:57 PM »
Let's go out on a limb and say she's not lying.  In that case, we have a lib who admits they save a fair amount of money, but who turns and wants gov't to take care of people ("I want my government to help PEOPLE...") instead of her taking the initiative and doing it herself.  No where does she mention she gives to the gov't in excess of what her tax form demands or that she gives to charities.  Another example of a lib wanting to take what isn't theirs to use for those who are undeserving in order to relieve their own conscience.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.