Author Topic: Police identify teenager slain in home-invasion shootout.  (Read 2304 times)

Offline ScubaGuy

Police identify teenager slain in home-invasion shootout.
« on: March 04, 2008, 05:58:49 PM »

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2956932

Wcross  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Mar-04-08 08:43 AM
Original message
Police identify teenager slain in home-invasion shootout.

Advertisements [?]
Edited on Tue Mar-04-08 09:14 AM by Wcross
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/mar/03/police-identif... /

Authorities this morning said a 16-year-old Knoxville boy was killed during a weekend home break-in that prompted a gun battle inside the residence.Mack and another person allegedly forced their way into the home through a back door, DeBusk said. Inside the home, Mack, who was armed with a handgun, was fired upon by a man who was visiting the woman who lives in the house, DeBusk.

After the gun battle between the two people armed with handguns, Mack died in the house of multiple bullet wounds, DeBusk said. No one else in the home was injured during the gunfight, he said.

Another young life lost due to gun violence.
:sarcasm:

Nice little smack at the DUmmie gun grabbers by wcross.  Some DUmmies support the shooter but the usual DUmmies respond in defense of the bad guy.

mike_c  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Mar-04-08 08:59 AM
Response to Original message
9. if NONE of them had easy access to guns someone would have a bloody nose...

...and a few bruises, maybe even a broken bone today. But the chances are much better that everyone would be alive. Violence breeds more violence, and gun violence is the worst. People end up DEAD instead of hurt or embarrassed or whatever.

The kid broke in with a weapon when the residents were at home you idiot.  I don't think he was thinking of having a fist fight.

mike_c  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Mar-04-08 09:28 AM
Response to Reply #15
23. so you would happily kill someone simply for being on your property...

...without an invitation? That's crazy. It's one thing to feel you need a gun to protect yourself against armed criminals, but quite another to advocate killing unarmed criminals simply because they threaten your stuff. Property can be replaced.

He wasn't killed for being on their property he was killed because he forced entry into their home and he was armed.

mike_c  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Mar-04-08 05:03 PM
Response to Reply #102
112. excessive force IS murder and the response that began this subthread...

...specifically posits a scenario in which NEITHER party has access to guns.

You're assuming that anyone who breaks into your house, even unarmed, wants to kill you. I think that's ridiculous. I speak from some experience-- in my misspent youth I broke into houses on occasion, but I ran like hell if I thought there was any likelihood of discovery. I certainly NEVER had any intent to harm anyone. I believe that is most often the case, and that it's peoples' over-reactions, and access to weapons, that usually escalates the matter from a well deserved ass-kicking (and arrest, followed by further ass-kicking, usually) to people being killed. Remove the guns from the equation and far fewer deaths would occur.
Too bad you were never caught.

mike_c  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Mar-04-08 05:53 PM
Response to Reply #113
114. make gun ownership illegal and confiscate all privately owned firearms....

Edited on Tue Mar-04-08 05:54 PM by mike_c
Make guns a rare commodity and then we can all feel much safer. Once again, my main point was that in armed societies people KILL one another in disputes that would ordinarily be much less dangerous if guns simply were not available. No guns and the dumb teenager who broke into someone's house gets his ass kicked, or maybe the homeowner gets HIS ass kicked. A broken nose and injured dignity is a whole lot easier to overcome than being dead.

I mean, we've tried the part of the experiment where guns are easily available to just about everyone. Clearly that isn't working-- and I define "working" as a significant decline in gun violence, injury, and death. People shoot one another over STUPID disputes that would otherwise result in some chest pounding and maybe a little head pounding, but not nearly as often in serious injury and death.

So simple, just make them illegal and it'll all go away.   :banghead:

l Pinko  (996 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Mar-04-08 09:40 AM
Response to Original message
26. Nice sarcasm. I guess we should be celebrating the loss of a 16-year-old's life?

If someone broke in, I'd escape and call the police from elsewhere, not KILL the burglar.

My material CRAP is not THAT important to me.

The KID may be a delinquent, but some people outgrow that and become productive members of society, but he will never have that chance now.

Well, I guess it's all worth it as long as the jewelry and entertainment center are safe and sound.

:sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Sounds ok to me.

As far as I'm concerned the dust bunnies under my bed are worth more than some punk breaking into my home.  As soon as you force your way in you go from being a dumb punk to being a target.

El Pinko  (996 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Mar-04-08 09:53 AM
Response to Reply #31
35. No, I'd rather escape than kill someone.

If I couldn't escape and was forced to, I might use my baseball bat or kitchen knife if I could, but this story doesn'nt make me want a gun, which is much more likely to kill a member of my family than a criminal...
:banghead:

El Pinko  (996 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Mar-04-08 09:59 AM
Response to Reply #36
40. I do have kids, and I would tell them to hide or escape if there was ever a burglar.

The last thing I want in my house is a gunfight. The baseball bat and knife would be last resorts. And they have been used effectively against gun-wielding thugs on occasion...

I wonder what the color the sky is in his world?

25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Police identify teenager slain in home-invasion shootout.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
So simple, just make them illegal and it'll all go away.   
It worked for drugs and aliens, right?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:52:43 PM »
So simple, just make them illegal and it'll all go away.   
It worked for drugs and aliens, right?

And burglars.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
I've got a S&W Model 13 .357 MAG with wadcutters beside the bed, and a Bushmaster M4 with a mag of hollowpoints against the wall.

I'd almost feel ity for the dumbfuque who'd beak into my house, except I'd have to foot the bill to clean the blood out of the carpet.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:38:24 PM »
Those cocksuckers would still have bullets being combed out of their hair at their funerals in a well-regulated universe.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:42:24 PM »
mike_c  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Mar-04-08 05:03 PM
Response to Reply #102
112. excessive force IS murder and the response that began this subthread...

...specifically posits a scenario in which NEITHER party has access to guns.

You're assuming that anyone who breaks into your house, even unarmed, wants to kill you. I think that's ridiculous.

Here's the deal, Professor Bug****er: Someone breaks into your home while you're there, they've graduated from burglary to home invasion, which means they don't give a shit if someone's there, which means they are prepared to encounter resistance, which means they are willing to do you bodily harm if you do resist or are perceived to resist. Are you with me so far? It also means they might help themselves to the females (or males) in your house, or even just grease your fat ass to get rid of any witnesses. You're willing to just sit back and wait to see how that pans out?

You liberal females, that's a real good bunch of men you have there.

Me? You come in my house in that fashion and I'll spend the next day scraping bits of your skull and brain matter off my walls.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Sonnabend

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:26:01 AM »
Attn DU

I live in a nation with loads of gun laws...we have armed home invasions, armed burglaries, armed robberies, rape at gunpoint almost every day.

The criminals have the guns.

We don't. It is against the law here to have in your possession a knife, a gun, stun gas, mace,pepper spray. Use deadly force of any kind including a baseball bat or anything else, guess who gets charged.

Your way doesnt work.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 02:09:24 PM »
mike_c  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Mar-04-08 05:53 PM
Response to Reply #113

Shout it from the rooftops DUmmy. Help us take bacbk Congress.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 02:16:29 PM »
Lex Talionis (168 posts)      Tue Mar-04-08 08:56 PM
Response to Reply #135
138. Well, the problem is. Its the real world. The real world is scary.
 And to point out the collapse of the family unit, due to "The Great Enlightenment", is taboo. Calls into questions ones beliefs You'll get called all kinds of ugly things for that. So people tend to blame inanimate objects and dead white men for todays problems. Yes, we as a nation do need to address all those problems. But, alas, I'm pretty cynical about all that happening. Good to meet someone with common sense here.

Wow, truth and common sense from a DUer, whoda thunk it. Of course the granite is coming up for this one.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 02:39:58 PM »
mike_c  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Mar-04-08 05:53 PM
Response to Reply #113
**** you commie :bird:
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »
Responding to Mike_C's goofy ass:

spoony  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Wed Mar-05-08 01:30 AM
Response to Reply #114
147. I swear you're getting worse by the post

You seem to have this bizarre, totally errant notion that the victim and invader are on even terms if guns are removed from the picture. As if some 70 year old is going to be able to physically resist a younger, stronger, probably chemically boosted invader. You also seem to think it's perfectly acceptable for the victim to get his "ass kicked" as if the parties involved each voluntarily entered into a fight. The invader also has the advantage of planning and preparing their assault, whereas a victim is presumably not anticipating waking to find a man with a knife in their bedroom (oh, sorry, you probably think that without guns criminals wouldn't arm themselves, right? Because the only possible scenario then is some ridiculous kung-fu nonsense like you posit, eh?).

And your solution is even more contemptibly insipid. Do you honestly not get the fact that only LAW ABIDING CITIZENS would turn in their guns? That the criminals would still have them? Still be able to use them at will? In your world, the homeowner in the OP is disarmed, and the invader likely still has their gun. Great solution, just brill.

:werd:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 02:44:43 PM »
Gotta say, I'm impressed with many of the DUmmies.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 02:50:33 PM »
El Pinko is a friggin' nut.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 02:55:28 PM »
El Pinko is a friggin' nut.
As is 99.8% of DU.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 03:07:32 PM »
El Pinko  (997 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Wed Mar-05-08 12:09 AM
Response to Reply #104
143. People are entitled to fight for stronger gun control laws.

Doing so is not an imposition on you. It's our right. The 2nd amendment is awfully vague about whether it merely protects the right of the community to keep a militia armed with muskets or if it means that all citizens are entitled to keep and bear bazookas and flamethrowers.

America has some of the most lax gun laws on the planet, and also by far the highest rates of gun violence. A lot of people think that restricting private gun ownership to non-repeating rifles, etc. would be a good idea - I agree.

You can disagree, but don't tell ME not to exercise MY right to demand that my government pass laws that will (IMO) make the country safer in the long run.

EVERY LAW imposes somebody's beliefs on everyone, whether it's income taxes (which anti-tax nutjobs consider to be illegal confiscation) or parking tickets.

Your right to own any and every type of weapon known to man is not sacred or unlimited under any reasonable view of the Constitution.

I personally would never want citizens' rights to keep and bear firearms to be denied, but limiting the firepower and types of firearms to be allowed is perfectly reasonable. If the government can ban certain types of MUFFLERS on CARS, it can sure as hell ban people from carrying automatic and high-caliber handguns, assuming there is the consensus to do so.
   Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
What part of The right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed do you not understand?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 03:10:05 PM by Attero Dominatus »
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.