Author Topic: About those "secret pardons"  (Read 369 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
About those "secret pardons"
« on: January 19, 2021, 08:45:46 AM »
Star Member StarfishSaver (12,966 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214958625

About those "secret pardons"

The fact that a pardon is secret doesn't mean that no one knows about it or it's not documented.

No court is going to accept a pardon issued by a now former president that is not documented and proven to have been issued prior to the end of that president's term.

Most likely a quote secret and quote pardon would be submitted to the Justice Department like all other pardons, but would not be included in the list of pardons released to the public. Such a pardon would be just as valid as any other, it just would not be publicly known.

So, there's no need to worry that in six months, Trump can scrawl "I hereby secretly pardon my son Daunald, Junyir" on the back of a napkin and prosecutors will say, "Oh. Never mind."

:whatever:

Star Member JI7 (82,546 posts)

2. So the Justice Department will have the info and can confirm if the person decides

to use it to prevent being charged with a crime ?

dem4decades (7,136 posts)

3. Arrest them all tomorrow and then we'll know.

Yeah... we don't need a crime... they are Trumpers!!!

:bird:

Star Member revmclaren (1,710 posts)

4. Could Biden use an executive order to make all of

tRumps secret pardens public?

Then everyone would know in advance what was coming.

:yawn:

Star Member exboyfil (15,337 posts)

8. Can't the DoJ issue a list of all pardons that have been logged

It seems that in the interest of Justice this should be known. Otherwise you have a bunch of US Attorneys essentially spinning their wheels. There is no upside for a current administration to keep these secret.

At the end of the day it will be up to the Supreme Court to decide what is a legitimate pardon assuming controversial ones get to that point.

Star Member kentuck (100,504 posts)

13. Also, if anyone with a pardon is subpoenaed, don't they have to notify the court of their pardon?

Seems I read that somewhere?

Star Member jcgoldie (7,142 posts)

14. Oh yeah well...

“When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total. And that's the way it's got to be. It's total.”

And and that included stuff he writes on cocktail napkins since meanies in big tech wont let him tweet ... and he’s still really president anyway since he won by a lot like a landslide and they stole it... and and...

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: About those "secret pardons"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 10:55:47 AM »

Yeah... we don't need a crime... they are Trumpers!!!

to them, that is a crime.  One of the worst, most imaginable crime ever committed...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020