Author Topic: The Root Cause of the mess we are in today? ...is right-wing media  (Read 370 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member kentuck (100,491 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214948636

The Root Cause of the mess we are in today?...is right-wing media, of all stripes, from local to national.

They hyped and incited every single conspiracy theory espoused by the Trump supporters and the mob that attacked our Capitol. (It is not 'their house'. We did not vote for them or what they stand for. They are undemocratic and un-American)

The right-wing media pushed the Big Lie about election fraud and are more responsible than anyone for where we are today.

There are too many to name. From local talk radio to Sean Hannity and FOX News propaganda to One News Network to NewsMax to Wall St Journal to Mark Levin to Laura Ingraham to Lou Dobbs to....infinity.

The problem is with right-wing media and their lies.

:whatever:

StClone (9,968 posts)

43. Media yes but who is behind the Con Media

Without some rich backers FOX, Limpwad, and the rest of the blowtorch of propaganda would not have had the reach.

theneworiginal (43 posts)

58. Read Blinded by the Right. prophetic

Talks about how the RW's plan is to get a hold of the media first to sell/spin the message, then the judicial branch to fend off any challenges and re-engineer the process (gerrymandering, super PACs, etc.), and then the executive branch.

Working like a charm.

RazzleCat (701 posts)

61. I have pondered this for a long time, here is my time line

1. Newt Gingrich, start here. He was angry and pushed the Republican Party to more extremes. He gained traction, he began the new revolt in the party. You can lay the Clinton Impeachment at his feet, an impeachment that was extremely partisan, one that he himself was guilty of, a massive push to us vs them.

2. 911, this was the golden opportunity to use the flag of patriotism to create a huge government overreach and the beginning of active wars.

3. The control of language (started under Newt). The Republican Party became very good at naming everything. They are "pro-life", they sponsored the Clear Skies Act (to roll back environmental standards), you see what's going on, name it what its not, who can be against such nice sounding things.

4. Tea Party, at first sort of a quaint group, but then the big money came it, it too gained traction and pushed the republicans to even more extremes. The Tea Party was a mixed bag of people who felt over taxed, under represented, raciest and extremist. Most important, they got media attention, hence political attention.

5. Economic collapse, this was a huge shock to the entire country, the majority of us suffered, or had friends and family who were in a tail spin, of lost jobs, houses, stock value etc.

6. Sara Palin, yes not a real sharp person, but she became a totem for extremist, again like changing the language, she could change the look of extremism. She was attractive, witty, quick (remember her first speech, it was good, real good), yes she flamed out fast due to her incompetence, but still she drew in more people who were ready for any sort of change.

7. Obama, not his fault, but a Black Man becoming president, exploded a whole lot of raciest minds, even people who did not think of themselves as raciest, became enraged that a Black man was President, even worse, he was competent.

8. Trump, he was the reaction to Obama, the opposite of him in every way, but remember via the use of the language of lies he had been opposed on everything, with the rhetoric turned up to a 10, the populace who had not recovered economically (or racists, sexists etc) or again felt that they were not being represented by their elected officials were ready to blow it all up. They had been primed via the use of division, refusal to compromise, crazy rhetoric removed from truth.

this is not in perfect order, but I think these are some of the major point on the road to total division in our country

Star Member Chainfire (4,657 posts)

13. It has been an operation that began with buying up media outlets years ago.

The people behind this have been in it for the long run. I began with Rush Limbaugh in the 90s and has grown, flowered and gone to seed. It will be a hell of a tangle to try to straighten out. The biggest problem is that Democrats can not undo the hard right thinking, and now Republican are losing the ability to do so too. The First Amendment, which is close to my heart, works against our ability to deal with the problem through government action.

What we can do, within the law, and what we should do, is go after the advertisers with publicity and boycott. You have seen, already, how many big businesses have threatened to, or have removed funding from the hard core because of the negative publicity over 1/6. DU would be a heck of a good forum to begin develop a program of shaming right wing program advertisers. We need to compile names of advertisers, contact them, and stop buying their products. We do not need to be financing the overthrow of our government.

Make the advertisers figure out if they can sustain their business without progressive buyers. The only pain corporations feel is in the accounting department. We have to use the power of spending to make change. Lets make them squeal.

Star Member hunter (32,313 posts)

14. Television made Trump.

It needs to die.

:???:

:mental:

Star Member William769 (51,347 posts)

15. The problem starts with white men and ends with white men. nt

Star Member Initech (85,659 posts)

22. And don't forget podcasts!

There's tons of podcasts out there to suit every flavor of the far right. Whether you prefer racism (Wayne Dupree), sexism (Ben Shapiro), homophobia (Joe Rogan), or flat out batshit (Alex Jones), there's something for everyone!

hkp11 (219 posts)

38. and RW donors

and RW repukes in congress, and RW radio

JT45242 (370 posts)

45. Rupert murdoch should never have been given fcc license

This all starts with murdoch getting a license.

The overabundance of gate radio would not be as big a factor as most people consume radio primarily in the car for much less time than tv.

Star Member Kablooie (16,692 posts)

48. and they are STILL pushing the lie!

Spewing lies about everything constantly is death for a Democracy.
Unless someone figures out a way to shut them up we will remain in danger because decisions aren't being made on reality.

On December 2, 1859, the morning of his execution, Brown handed his final letter to one of his guards. It read, “I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood. I had, as I now think vainly, flattered myself that without very much bloodshed it might be done”

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: The Root Cause of the mess we are in today? ...is right-wing media
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 12:45:51 PM »
Star Member kentuck (100,491 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214948636

The Root Cause of the mess we are in today?

By the mess we are in today, you are referring to biden about to become potus and congress in democrat party control?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020