Author Topic: Brining a Turkey  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Brining a Turkey
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:09:14 AM »
Yeah, I know, it's Thanksgiving + 4 Days, but I thought I'd talk about this technique and post a recipe (off the top of my head, but I'm pretty accurate with it).

I've brined chicken before, but never turkey. Man, I have got to say that I've NEVER had a better-tasting, more flavorful, and moist turkey in my LIFE.

This is a variation of Alton Brown's recipe and I'll use it till they're feeding me turkey substitute in the Geezer Home, dribbling gravy on my pajamas:

one 12 - 14 lb. Turkey, thawed out in the fridge and rinsed (it takes about 3 days - I always use Butterball because they inject it with vegetable shortening here and there). MAKE SURE TO REMOVE ALL GIBLETS -- BOTH PACKETS!

Overnight, or about 8-12 hours (no more than 12 hours) before you roast, combine the following:

-1 gallon of vegetable stock (I make my own out of onions, celery, carrots, to include the peels.)
-1 cup kosher salt
-2 tablespoons of crystallized ginger, chopped roughly
-1/2 cup of brown sugar
-small handful of peppercorns
-small handful of allspice berries (do NOT use ground allspice)

Heat to boiling in a large pot, dissolving the solids. Add the mixture to a 5 gallon bucket (one of those insulated thermos-type containers used on the job site is perfect), then immediately add:

-5 to 10 lbs. of ice. The idea is to cool the mixture down and leave some floating ice in it to keep it cold.

Immerse the bird in the brine mixture, breast side down. Cover and place in a cool location up to 12 hours.

When brining is complete, remove the turkey, rinse with cold water, and pat dry with paper towels. Oil the skin liberally with vegetable/canola oil - don't use butter, as that will burn. Discard the brine.

Place the turkey in your roaster on a rack. Leave uncovered. Pre-heat your oven to 500 deg. F. (That is NOT a typo - just do it.)

While the oven preheats, combine the following in a microwave-proof bowl:

-1 red apple, sliced
-1 cinnamon stick
-2 or 3 whole cloves
-1 onion, sliced
-1 cup water or veggie stock

Nuke on high for 5 minutes. Place the contents in the bird's cavity, along with:

-4 rosemary sprigs
-4 thyme sprigs
-6 to 8 sage leaves (chiffonade them first)

Put the bird in the oven, with the top of the bird not closer than 6 inches from the top of the inside of the oven. Let roast at 500 deg. F. for 30 minutes, or until your smoke detectors go off (whichever occurs first).

Crank the heat down to 340 deg. F. and roast until it's done. My 20-lb. bird took about 2 hours and 50 minutes and it was done perfectly, though I have a convection oven (which makes a difference).

You can do the fancy Alton Brown gizmo-techno-geek stuff and have a thermometer that detects the presence of sunspots on the sun, or you can use an instant-check thermometer and check the thigh meat. The thigh seems to be the part of the bird that takes longest to roast, so I check that rather than the breast. I look for the juices to be running clear AND for the thigh meat temp to read not less than 175 deg. If in doubt, tilt the bird to allow some juices to run out of the cavity and watch for pink.

Let the bird rest at least 20 minutes before carving.

While the bird rests, prepare your pan gravy by first pouring off excess fat, leaving about a cup in the roaster. Put the roaster on the stove top, turn your burner on, then add about 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to the drippings. Stir to combine and cook the roux for a few minutes, then add about 48 oz. of the same vegetable stock you made earlier or a separate poultry stock you might've made from the neck and giblets (but not the liver). Use prepared chicken broth if you didn't make a stock. Bring to a boil, stirring more or less constantly; adjust seasonings. Strain if necessary to remove large chunks of bird bits, if desired.

I used a 20-lb. bird for our meal and the one-gallon brine mixture worked fabulously. The breast meat was absolutely moist, tender, and flavorful.

I will never again prepare whole turkey any other way but this way. It's too good to pass up.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
Re: Brining a Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »
No bay leaf?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:35:08 PM »
No bay leaf?

Throw one in if ya wanna! I didn't, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. :-)

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:49:15 PM »
Sounds yummy...might have to try that.

Offline SilverOrchid

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
Throw one in if ya wanna! I didn't, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. :-)

This also sounds really good for ham.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 02:17:58 PM »
This also sounds really good for ham.

Ham, by its nature, is relatively salty. I'm not sure I'd want to add salt to meat that's already quite salty.

The next time you roast a ham, try it with a glaze made out of nothing but reduced apple cider. The last 40 minutes or so of roasting, take your reduced cider and brush it on.

That reduced cider just explodes with flavor.

Offline SilverOrchid

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 03:22:47 PM »
Ham, by its nature, is relatively salty. I'm not sure I'd want to add salt to meat that's already quite salty.

The next time you roast a ham, try it with a glaze made out of nothing but reduced apple cider. The last 40 minutes or so of roasting, take your reduced cider and brush it on.

That reduced cider just explodes with flavor.

LOL! I was going to leave the salt out.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 10:30:55 PM »
I brined a turkey one year. It came out pretty good, but I didn't like the overdone peppercorn flavor. I followed a recipe very similar to Euphers. I'd cut that small handful into about a 1/3rd of that.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:55:50 PM »
Next time you buy a turkey, Euph....try a Honeysuckle.

I've always been a Butterball fan, but couldn't find the size I wanted so got the Honeysuckle....plus it was cheaper. It was terrific.

When we were shopping last weekend, my friend couldn't find a large Butterball either and ended up with the Honeysuckle. It was delicious! She cooks them in a Rumtoffer(sp?).... a very large clay pot with a lid.

I saw Alton do the brine thing, and would like to try it....now that someone I know has tried it and it worked...I'm more inclined to do it.

For a spiral sliced ham......in a saucepan, I mix a 12oz can of Coke, 1.5 c of brown sugar, 4 oz of Jack Daniels, couple of squirts of spicy mustard (I use Guldens), 2 T real maple syrup, and the honey pack that came with the ham. Bring to a boil making sure the sugar is dissolved. Put spiral sliced ham in a baking bag, pour over the mix over the ham, seal.....cook at 350 for half hour, turn down to 250, and cook for about 3 hours more. Let set in bag for at least a half hour up to 12 hours. The longer it sets, the more the juice is reabsorbed into the ham.
It's wonderful, very moist, and a whole lot cheaper than a Honey Baked Ham....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 11:42:10 AM »
Next time you buy a turkey, Euph....try a Honeysuckle.

I've always been a Butterball fan, but couldn't find the size I wanted so got the Honeysuckle....plus it was cheaper. It was terrific.

When we were shopping last weekend, my friend couldn't find a large Butterball either and ended up with the Honeysuckle. It was delicious! She cooks them in a Rumtoffer(sp?).... a very large clay pot with a lid.

I saw Alton do the brine thing, and would like to try it....now that someone I know has tried it and it worked...I'm more inclined to do it.

For a spiral sliced ham......in a saucepan, I mix a 12oz can of Coke, 1.5 c of brown sugar, 4 oz of Jack Daniels, couple of squirts of spicy mustard (I use Guldens), 2 T real maple syrup, and the honey pack that came with the ham. Bring to a boil making sure the sugar is dissolved. Put spiral sliced ham in a baking bag, pour over the mix over the ham, seal.....cook at 350 for half hour, turn down to 250, and cook for about 3 hours more. Let set in bag for at least a half hour up to 12 hours. The longer it sets, the more the juice is reabsorbed into the ham.
It's wonderful, very moist, and a whole lot cheaper than a Honey Baked Ham....

Deb, the Honeysuckle turkeys aren't nearly as available as are the Butterballs - at least where I've been - but I have tried them (and enjoyed them) in the past. Glad you pointed that out.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »
I sometimes have a dilemma in making gravy.

Sometimes you can't (or shouldn't) put a roaster on a burner and crank up the the heat.

In those cases I'll boil up the stock I'm going to use for the gravy separately and then deglaze the roaster with it. You can heat up wine and use it to deglaze the roaster too. In any event, you wind up with a liquid that contains quite a bit of fat on the top (potentially) and after the roaster's deglazed, you can put the liquid in a large container and let sit. It's a PITA, but I've used a turkey baster or other syringe-type thing and sucked up the fat. If it's usable to make a roux, I'll do so. If not, I'll use butter and flour to make the roux, then add the defatted liquid.

I'm judicious in the amount of flour I use, because I absolutely hate pasty/super-thick gravies. I'd much rather have it too thin (like an au jus) than too thick.

I NEVER use cornstarch. People who do so should be forced to listen to Allen Sherman records.  :-)

Offline debk

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
I take the turkey innards and the neck and they cook all day long in chicken stock with a small quartered onion, parsley, sage, thyme, black pepper and a bit of garlic. (vampires will never come to my house, I use a lot of garlic   :-) ).

It simmers while the turkey cooks. I end up adding more stock as the time goes.

I have one of those stock separators...at least that's what I think they are called. It's glass, narrow like a tall measuring cup, with a long spout that starts at the bottom. I pour the liquid from the turkey into a bowl then transfer it to the cup...it separates fairly quickly.

I drain the innards stock, pull all the meat off of the neck...surprisingly it's quite a bit...and it shreds very easily.

I make my roux with some of the fat from the turkey, whisk in the stock, bring it to a boil to make sure the flour taste is gone, then reduce the heat, and slowly whisk in the stock from the turkey. I may add in about a teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet...mainly just enough to give it a good tan color. I hate that wimpy colored turkey gravy. Then add the neck meat. I use a small stock pot as I make a large amount of gravy so that there are leftovers for hot turkey sandwiches.

I never add salt until the very end...and then I add salt and pepper to taste.

It's very smooth, not thick, but not thin either.

I've been making it this way for 30 years....and either everybody that's had it really likes it...or they lie real well with a clean plate... :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 12:31:28 PM »
yeah, I've seen those fat separator thingies, and I even have a small one, but it's too small to use with the amount of gravy I need when a 20-lb. bird is being roasted.

I might cook up the giblets for the dogs, but I won't put that stuff in my gravy. And yeah, separating the meat from the neck is also a PITA.

Doing up the liver and the gizzard in a saute pan and feeding it to the dogs makes me a very popular guy.

I agree with you on the Kitchen Bouquet, but I didn't need it this year. The roasting process gave the pan some nicely browned bits which transferred over to a medium-brown gravy.

But how do you handle a situation when you've got a clay/crockery-type roaster? You can't put that on the burner.

I currently have a big stainless roaster that I use and I hesitate to put it on a burner, but I have - long enough to deglaze the roaster and make gravy. All the same, it ain't right....

Offline debk

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 12:49:15 PM »
I only cook the innards in the chicken stock. I don't put them in the gravy....they are gross.  :-)

I do at least a 22-24 pound turkey. Since I got the turkey roaster oven, I cook mine in a bag because it's easier to clean.

I just dump all the drippings into a big pour bowl that I have and do a batch at a time in the separator....it's usually 3 or 4 fillings. I pour the separated into another pour bowl.

I don't have the clay roaster....my friend does. She doesn't make the gravy...her 96 yo mother in law makes it up and brings it. I don't know how she makes it....it's ok, but a little bland for me, and no meat in it.

I don't like making gravy in a roasting pan. I prefer to pour it into a saucepan or a small stock pot depending on how much I have. I mix up my flour with either water or broth in a tall measuring cup til I like the consistency. I then strain it into the fat or broth to make sure there are absolutely no lumps.

I'm not into the little browned pieces except with chicken cream gravy. With chicken or sausage gravy....I sift the flour into the pan.

Did I mention I make a mess of the kitchen when I'm cooking?  :lmao:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »
yeah, I've used whitewash (usually with Wondra) to make gravy as well and most definitely strain it to get the lumps out. For example, doing an eye of the round beef roast results in very little fat in which to make a roux, so I'll deglaze that roasting pan usually with wine then add some stock, then use the whitewash. (That's usually when the Kitchen Bouquet is needed, because the brown color doesn't work its way through.)

But when I roast a meat that has a fair amount of fat, I'll go a-rouxin'.

(It's an animal fat thing. I ain't happy unless there's some lard in it.)

I did a pretty good job of destroying the kitchen myself, only because everything has to come together at the end. There ain't no other way!  :shucks:  

Offline debk

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »
I don't cook with wine. Not because I'm against it....but it truly hates me. It's not the alcohol, it's the sulfites.

Yeah....I get the animal fat thing....I'm a fan of any recipe that starts with...take 1 stick of butter.... :-)

Years ago....in another lifetime....when I was trying to learn how to make gravy....you could have used the stuff for wallpaper paste!  :bawl:

I think gravy is just one of those things that takes practice. I learned the theory from Betty Crocker....but I had to learn the application myself through trial and error.

I rarely make an eye of round. I usually do either a beef tenderloin or a chuck roast. If I do a tenderloin, I don't make gravy. I make potatoes that are loaded with cheese, onion, sour cream, butter, chives and are baked. I can make them in the morning and then all I have to do is pop them in the oven for about 45 minutes and that eliminates the mess with them. I will also make a bernaise and a horseradish/sour cream sauce.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 11:58:51 PM »
Ya know, Eupher.... when I pan cook a low fat meat, I deglaze the pan with either lard or butter if I need some gravy. Then I add the flour for a roux. Then comes the liquid for a gravy and perhaps some kitchen bouquet. I don't like the flavor that wine or beer imparts in most foods. Red wine in a marinara sauce or beer in a chili work right well. Other than that, I like the more natural flavors.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 12:09:43 AM »
I only cook the innards in the chicken stock. I don't put them in the gravy....they are gross.
Whaaa?? Gross isn't the proper way to describe the best part of the bird! Turkey gizzards and livers are the best part of Thanksgiving, next to oyster dressing and cold leftover turkey.

Offline kenth

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 12:26:08 AM »
Whaaa?? Gross isn't the proper way to describe the best part of the bird! Turkey gizzards and livers are the best part of Thanksgiving, next to oyster dressing and cold leftover turkey.

Our first Thanksgiving together, I made giblet gravy which my wife had never had before. She thought it looked funny for gravy and asked what was in it. Needless to say, she hasn't had it since either.  :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 11:52:26 AM »
Ya know, Eupher.... when I pan cook a low fat meat, I deglaze the pan with either lard or butter if I need some gravy. Then I add the flour for a roux. Then comes the liquid for a gravy and perhaps some kitchen bouquet. I don't like the flavor that wine or beer imparts in most foods. Red wine in a marinara sauce or beer in a chili work right well. Other than that, I like the more natural flavors.

That's an interesting approach (deglazing with a fat), but in traditional French cooking, it's done with a water-based liquid.

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/Pages/deglazing

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 11:53:41 AM »

Homey don't do organ meats. Period.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 12:36:19 PM »
That's an interesting approach (deglazing with a fat), but in traditional French cooking, it's done with a water-based liquid.

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/Pages/deglazing

I'm part Cajun, part Texan and part German. Fat is good. While I realize that's the "traditional approach, my way has worked well for me. I don't particularly like using a slurry for my gravies, but I have. Ohh, and if you put in the milk first, THEN the flour and shake it really well in a jar with a lid, there is usually no reason to break out the strainer. ;)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 01:12:04 PM »
I just use flour and a whisk.  No straining, no shaking. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 02:50:35 PM »
I've always preferred Gold Medal or Pillsbury and most people here prefer White Lily or Martha White, as a result, I think what I pick has sat on the shelf a bit longer.

I've just found it's easier to use the strainer than be sorry.

I do use a little whisk when mixing the flour and water, and a big one in the pot.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 03:03:37 PM »

I'm part Cajun, part Texan and part German. Fat is good. While I realize that's the "traditional approach, my way has worked well for me. I don't particularly like using a slurry for my gravies, but I have. Ohh, and if you put in the milk first, THEN the flour and shake it really well in a jar with a lid, there is usually no reason to break out the strainer. ;)

Milk in a whitewash/slurry?  Again, that's different - like Deb, I just use water or stock if I have it.

I don't like using a whitewash or slurry, though I will when I'm too lazy to make a proper roux. With a roux, I find I don't need to add Kitchen Bouquet, which to me is an artificial coloring agent.  :p