Author Topic: Sequester cuts near as Senate bills fail.  (Read 3762 times)

Offline mrclose

Sequester cuts near as Senate bills fail.
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — Automatic federal budget cuts of $85 billion looked certain to kick in after a pair of bills to replace them failed in the Senate on Thursday.

Neither a Democratic nor a Republican bill aimed at replacing the so-called sequester was able to get enough support to win a test vote on Thursday. While senators from both parties hadn’t expected passage, the bills represented a last-ditch legislative effort to replace the across-the-board cuts to domestic and military spending.

The Republican bill, which would have given Obama the opportunity to pick which cuts he’d like, garnered just 38 “yes” votes; the Democratic bill, which would have replaced the cuts with alternative spending cuts and tax hikes on the wealthy, received 51 “yes” votes; 60 votes were needed to cut off debate.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sequester-cuts-near-as-senate-bills-fail-2013-02-28?dist=afterbell

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
Re: Sequester cuts near as Senate bills fail.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »
Looks like 170 million jobs will be lost tomorrow.  :rotf:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
I wonder how shocked people will be when, contrary to Obama's campaign speeches this week, the world does not actually end.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 04:52:55 PM »
Dear Leader signed it into law so he must have wanted it, right?  I mean, how stupid do you have to be to sign something into law and not want it to take place?  Any President that would do that must be really, really stupid.

I wonder why his followers are upset about the law he signed being enforced?  Did they not know that's what would happen?  Is there any doubt his followers are more stupid than he is?  And he's really, really stupid.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
Those of us with paychecks took a 2% cut, starting January 1st.

I don't see how this administration has a leg to stand on when they also have to 'make do' with 2% less.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 05:12:22 PM »

Offline mrclose

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 06:02:05 PM »
I wonder how shocked people will be when, contrary to Obama's campaign speeches this week, the world does not actually end.
Already being 'spun' as .. "It will take time for the HORRIBLE effects to show"!

BTW: Will anyone notice that the Republicans tried to pass the bill where Obummer could make whatever cuts he wanted?

He refused the responsibility .. just as he refuses to do anything except: Play golf, take vacations and campaign!

~ Anonymous

Offline Doc Savage

• Challenger of the Democratic faith
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 06:02:57 PM »
Remember Y2K?
You see, I don't care you how feel.  I really don't.  More importantly, neither does anyone else.  Only about 200 people on a planet of 7 billion actually care about your feelings, and that's if you're lucky.  The sooner you grasp this lesson, the better off you will be.  And since almost no one gives a damn what you do, say, think, or feel, appealing to your feelings when you encounter differences of opinion is not only illogical, but useless.

Offline Dori

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 06:11:19 PM »
Already being 'spun' as .. "It will take time for the HORRIBLE effects to show"!

BTW: Will anyone notice that the Republicans tried to pass the bill where Obummer could make whatever cuts he wanted

Why did they do that?  Obama already has the authority to cut where he wants.  But the fact that he said he would veto it should be noted.  He doesn't want to be a leader or take responsibility.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 06:16:24 PM »

BTW: Will anyone notice that the Republicans tried to pass the bill where Obummer could make whatever cuts he wanted?

He refused the responsibility .. just as he refuses to do anything except: Play golf, take vacations and campaign!

The Dems didn't want to put that much responsibility on Obumbler. 

Offline mrclose

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »
Why did they do that?  Obama already has the authority to cut where he wants.  But the fact that he said he would veto it should be noted.  He doesn't want to be a leader or take responsibility.
Because the sequester has automatic cuts.

The Repubs wanted to MAKE him take some responsibility for cutting waste!

~ Anonymous

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »
Oh noes, we's all gonna dies!!!  How will those poor little shrimp get they exercise on those treadmills?

How will those welfare queens do without that seventh supersized bag of fried pork rinds?

Oh, the humanity!!!!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
On a serious note, the cuts are hitting here pretty hard. EVERY facility that is run by DOD civilians will be closed tomorrow and every Friday until further notice. This includes range control, so this will affect military readiness.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 07:27:23 PM »
On a serious note, the cuts are hitting here pretty hard. EVERY facility that is run by DOD civilians will be closed tomorrow and every Friday until further notice. This includes range control, so this will affect military readiness.

But you better betchur ass the welfare/food stamp offices are open.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 09:14:22 PM »

Well, you better get a message to the boy king then because he and the stupidest most embarrassing Sec of Defense could choose other ways of cutting the budget...perhaps by not giving our aircraft to Egypt? He and his cabinet are going to choose those things that will most affect us. Letting illegal alien criminals go BEFORE the sequester even started (if you think 0bama didn't know, I've got a bridge to sell you in Benghazi). They want to cause as much pain as they can. Then he'll go all campaign mode...as opposed to leading...with his drooling sycophants in the press doing his bidding, stomping their feet and blaming Republicans. It's easier to blame than it is to...oh, I don't know...do your job and lead.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline pissant

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »
But you better betchur ass the welfare/food stamp offices are open.

As will be the mandatory training classes for FST* for our troops and Pentagon employees.

*fag sensitivity training

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 10:06:58 PM »

You do realize that, assuming they went through all the advance notice hoops to immediately start the furloughs tomorrow, any activity with more than one employee could have stayed open by staggering the furlough days in each work group...

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 11:27:52 PM »
Those of us with paychecks took a 2% cut, starting January 1st.

I don't see how this administration has a leg to stand on when they also have to 'make do' with 2% less.

^^^This
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline RayRaytheSBS

• "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men."
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 02:58:32 AM »
You do realize that, assuming they went through all the advance notice hoops to immediately start the furloughs tomorrow, any activity with more than one employee could have stayed open by staggering the furlough days in each work group...

Whoah there DAT! That would make sense, and would defeat the purpose of this whole sequestration on the part of the democrats: to shut down the military. Didn't you get your briefing on this from your local democratic Kommisar?
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms”

“The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion ... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself - ultimate cost for perfect value.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »
Whoah there DAT! That would make sense, and would defeat the purpose of this whole sequestration on the part of the democrats: to shut down the military. Didn't you get your briefing on this from your local democratic Kommisar?

My attendance at those is no longer mandatory, since my only remaining official ties to DOD are monthly retirement checks from DA and OPM.

:-)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »
Love it when a 2% increase when you wanted 5%, is a cut.

:thatsright:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 09:44:07 AM »
Woodward has shed a little light on the lies that the Magic Negro has told. Most of the press is carrying Obummer's water and blaming the Repubs. However, his remarks are pissing off the W.H. So, that is a good thing, and the truth is coming out that this liar was on board and approved the sequester. .

Offline Dori

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
Love it when a 2% increase when you wanted 5%, is a cut.

:thatsright:

I don't get it.  If your still going to get more to spend this year, than you spent last year, why do you have to cut anything?  Doesn't compute.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »

Yes. And I said the same thing. The answer I got was "activities run by DOD civilians will be closed on Fridays until further notice"