Author Topic: Democrats in Senate stall over filibuster  (Read 1558 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
Democrats in Senate stall over filibuster
« on: January 06, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »

Senate Democrats are so determined to curtail Republican use of the filibuster to block their legislation that they've frozen time — technically speaking — in the hope of hammering out a deal that will prevent what they call an abuse of parliamentary procedure.

On the opening day of the 112th Congress on Wednesday, Senate Democratic leaders used a rare procedural rule that will keep the legislative day open for several days — a move that would allow for rule changes with the approval of a simple majority of the 100-member chamber instead of the usual two-thirds vote.

The tactic only can be used on the first day of a new Congress — hence the value of not declaring the legislative "day" over, regardless of what calendars or the Earth's rotation might say. And with the Senate to be on recess until Jan. 25, the move would buy filibuster-reform supporters time to work out details and woo supporters.

Democrats, who control the Senate with 53 seats, have complained that Republicans unfairly use the filibuster to kill Democratic bills and paralyze the chamber.

Republicans counter that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, typically refuses to allow Republican amendments on bills and that the filibuster is among the only tools available to block Democratic legislation they oppose.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jan/5/democrats-in-senate-stall-over-filibuster/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Democrats in Senate stall over filibuster
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
You stay classy, Democrats.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:49:41 AM »
Of course, this all will be horribly unfair when the republicans regain the majority in the senate in 2012... :whatever:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
Of course, this all will be horribly unfair when the republicans regain the majority in the senate in 2012... :whatever:

The fact that there is a tomorrow and some of them may actually still be in the Senate on the minority side after 2012 may keep Harry from getting all 53 dipshits in the same septic pond on this idea.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »
It is time to start all over.. This whole government. Fire everyone and start fresh. Yes a wacky idea to most.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »
If they do this, it's election nullification, and should probably stoke just about as much fury as Deathcare (aka Obamacare).

Go ahead, Dems who are up for re-election in 2012. Do this. Just don't plan to be in the Senate in 2013.

And when WE have the majority in 2012, YOU won't have the filibuster. And if you try to re-instate it just before the 2012 election, I'll just assume OUR guys will remove it just as you did after they're sworn in--with a simple majority.

Offline H Minus

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 02:22:49 AM »
Bill frist wanted to do this, and the dems screamed bloody murder, and now the shoe is on the other foot.

Be careful what you wish for harry, you may just get it.
I have no group affliation, there is just me and in case it isn't clear, I don't start trouble, nor do i take shit from anyone.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:11:44 PM »
Bill frist wanted to do this, and the dems screamed bloody murder, and now the shoe is on the other foot.

Be careful what you wish for harry, you may just get it.

You are exactly right. It won't happen though. This move is nothing more than a CYA for the party in power for not getting anything done. The senate was designed by the founding fathers to slow down fast track legislation.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 09:15:14 PM »
The problem is the damage that can be done between now and 2012.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline H Minus

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:21:35 AM »
Harry is grand standing, he knows he will be in the minority in two years.
I have no group affliation, there is just me and in case it isn't clear, I don't start trouble, nor do i take shit from anyone.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:34:42 AM »
Harry is grand standing, he knows he will be in the minority in two years.

If the playing field had been level...Dingy Harry wouldn't be there to grand stand.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline H Minus

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 05:36:47 AM »
If the playing field had been level...Dingy Harry wouldn't be there to grand stand.
Vegas is about mobs, er, that is 'unions' and unions are about keeping their perks, ergo Harry wins despite the pols saying he was losing badly.

I'm sure if it was close they would have recounted until he was ahead, ala stuart Smalley.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
It is time to start all over.. This whole government. Fire everyone and start fresh. Yes a wacky idea to most.
You're right CG.
Flush the turds down the toilet. Not to say all of them are anti-American. But, in my opinion, 90% of them can go. :wink: