Author Topic: Charges dropped against Marine in Haditha case  (Read 3762 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Charges dropped against Marine in Haditha case
« on: March 28, 2008, 02:44:27 PM »
Charges against a US Marine allegedly involved in the killing of 24 Iraqi civilians in the town of Haditha were dropped on Friday ahead of his trial, the military said in a statement.
A court martial for lance corporal Stephen Tatum had been due to start on Friday on charges of involuntary manslaughter, reckless endangerment and aggravated assault.

However in a statement released from the Marines Camp Pendleton base outside San Diego, the military said the charges had been dismissed "in order to continue to pursue the truth seeking process into the Haditha incident."

It was not immediately clear if fresh charges could be laid against Tatum at a later date or whether the soldier may now cooperate with prosecutors.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080328181017.afmb9h69&show_article=1
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Re: Charges dropped against Marine in Haditha case
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 02:53:28 PM »
 :clap: :saluteusmc: :cheers1: :newyear:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 02:59:27 PM »
John Murtha was unavailable for comment.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 03:12:40 PM »
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone heard from that asshat Murtha?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:55:29 PM »
 :cheersmate: :cheersmate: :cheersmate:

And for murtha

:loser:
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:07:54 PM »
John Murtha was unavailable for comment.

Come on TRG, you know the liberal MO. Once they're proven wrong they move onto something else......without even ACKNOWLEDGING that they were wrong.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 06:06:59 AM »
Murtha: Cold Blooded Slander
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 03:00:34 PM »

Come on TRG, you know the liberal MO. Once they're proven wrong they move onto something else......without even ACKNOWLEDGING that they were wrong.

Yeah I know.  I'd give anything for a reporter with the spine enough to stick a mic in his face and ask him if he's ready to apologize for slandering fellow Marines yet.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 04:28:37 PM »

Yeah I know.  I'd give anything for a reporter with the spine enough to stick a mic in his face and ask him if he's ready to apologize for slandering fellow Marines yet.

There was one person that did that when the charges were dropped against the others
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »

There was one person that did that when the charges were dropped against the others

What do you wanna bet that reporter can't get near D.C. anymore?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »
I'd like to know how the slander suit against Murtha is doing.  I can't find ANY news on it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 06:12:53 PM »
I'd like to know how the slander suit against Murtha is doing.  I can't find ANY news on it.

Here's the latest I can find:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0907/Federal_judge_order_Murtha_to_testify_in_Haditha_defamation_case.html

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
From the AP: 'You're writing a very wide road for members of Congress to go to their home districts and say anything they choose about private persons and be able to do so without any liability. Are you sure you want to do that?'' Collyer said, adding later, ''How far can a congressman go and still be protected?"

Frankly, I don't understand this ruling at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is appealed by the Justice Dept. and/or House general counsel's office on behalf of Murtha. Murtha, who can say some inappropriate things once in a while, was clearly acting in his capacity as a lawmaker when he made the comments and is thus protected by the Speech or Debate Clause from any type of prosecution for official acts.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0907/Federal_judge_order_Murtha_to_testify_in_Haditha_defamation_case.html

BULLSHIT! These elected asshats think they can say anything they want at any time about a private citizen. The same thing happened to Limbaugh awhile back. I consider it abuse of power.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »
From the AP: 'You're writing a very wide road for members of Congress to go to their home districts and say anything they choose about private persons and be able to do so without any liability. Are you sure you want to do that?'' Collyer said, adding later, ''How far can a congressman go and still be protected?"

Frankly, I don't understand this ruling at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is appealed by the Justice Dept. and/or House general counsel's office on behalf of Murtha. Murtha, who can say some inappropriate things once in a while, was clearly acting in his capacity as a lawmaker when he made the comments and is thus protected by the Speech or Debate Clause from any type of prosecution for official acts.

BULLSHIT! These elected asshats think they can say anything they want at any time about a private citizen. The same thing happened to Limbaugh awhile back. I consider it abuse of power.

There are also circumstances where this protection doesn't apply. For instance, if Murtha gave this speech in his PA office or on the campaign trail (both are true and he gave more than one interview). Newsmax has done some fine reporting on the Haditha debacle. Defend Our Marines, http://warchronicle.com/TheyAreNotKillers/DefendOurMarines.htm, always has the latest information about this case. It's SO thorough I think it would take days to go through it all.

Some on FR were speculating that this sudden dropping of charges might have something to do with the "shadow" body (purportedly set up by Rumsfeld and the other powers that be) to "oversee" the investigation and trial. There's a thread about it here: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1991995/posts

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »
Oh, more information about Murtha here: http://www.letfreedomringblog.com/?p=2592. From the link:

The third count in the indictment is possibly the weightiest of charges. Murtha’s connections within the Pentagon are deep. He’s built a mini-empire by acting as a ‘recruiter’ for companies in the military industrial complex. When they want a new hardware, Rep. Murtha gets it for them. As a result, they paid particularly close attention when Rep. Murtha made an accusation against the Haditha Marines.

With his clout, Rep. Murtha did everything except play the role of judge, jury and executioner. In civilian court, he would’ve been accused of poisoning the jury pool, which is another violation of the Haditha Marines’ due process rights.

Cindie

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
Thank you for the links Cindie. I bookmarked them and will continue to follow the case.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle