Author Topic: Schwarzenegger orders minimum wage for state workers  (Read 3877 times)

Offline soleil

Re: Schwarzenegger orders minimum wage for state workers
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 05:37:17 PM »
You sure can't do it in California.  Tennessee, maybe, and a few other places, but definitely not CA.

I live in MS, and it would be hard to do it here, and the cost of living sure isn't what it is in other places.

Offline bkg

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 05:52:45 PM »
I live in MS, and it would be hard to do it here, and the cost of living sure isn't what it is in other places.

it's not the gov'ts job to provide a "living wage." Move to the private sector if you can't afford to work for the public sector - that's the way it should be, IMHO.

Offline soleil

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »
it's not the gov'ts job to provide a "living wage." Move to the private sector if you can't afford to work for the public sector - that's the way it should be, IMHO.

It is their job if the people are working for them. And in case you haven't noticed, jobs aren't falling from the sky. A person would probably think twice before leaving a paying job even if the pay sucks. Something is better than nothing.

Offline bkg

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »
It is their job if the people are working for them. And in case you haven't noticed, jobs aren't falling from the sky. A person would probably think twice before leaving a paying job even if the pay sucks. Something is better than nothing.

No... it's NOT their job. Many companies have given pay cuts... why should the gov't be any different?

So you think that just because others are struggling that the gov't should step in and keep paying people money THEY DON'T HAVE????

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Something is better than nothing - exactly - they should quit bitching.

Offline soleil

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 06:12:03 PM »
No... it's NOT their job. Many companies have given pay cuts... why should the gov't be any different?

So you think that just because others are struggling that the gov't should step in and keep paying people money THEY DON'T HAVE????

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Something is better than nothing - exactly - they should quit bitching.

Cutting people's pay when the cost of living continues to go up isn't going to help our economy. And just because something is better than nothing doesn't mean people can't bitch about it. Thankfully, I have no clue what it is like to struggle to keep a roof over my head and my baby fed. I imagine if I did, I might be bitching a little.

And I am not sure why you are laughing. What was funny about what I posted?

Offline bkg

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »
Cutting people's pay when the cost of living continues to go up isn't going to help our economy. And just because something is better than nothing doesn't mean people can't bitch about it. Thankfully, I have no clue what it is like to struggle to keep a roof over my head and my baby fed. I imagine if I did, I might be bitching a little.

And I am not sure why you are laughing. What was funny about what I posted?

Your choice to completley and utterly neglect the use of simple math or logic..

Paying people money that doesn't exist is some how good for economy?   :rotf: :rotf:

Offline soleil

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
Your choice to completley and utterly neglect the use of simple math or logic..

Paying people money that doesn't exist is some how good for economy?   :rotf: :rotf:

I am not neglecting anything at all. And I am certainly not going to neglect our citizens who need to survive.

And please explain how cutting these wages, while many people won't be able to survive on it, is going to be good for the economy.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:42:36 PM by soleil »

Offline bkg

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 06:52:41 PM »
I am not neglecting anything at all. And I am certainly not going to neglect our citizens who need to survive.

Oh FFS...  if that's the case, please send me $1K/month... I'm a citizen, I need it to survive. :whatever:

And please explain how cutting these wages, while many people won't be able to survive on it, is going to be good for the economy.

Answer me, I'll answer you.

Offline soleil

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 07:01:47 PM »
Oh FFS...  if that's the case, please send me $1K/month... I'm a citizen, I need it to survive. :whatever:

Answer me, I'll answer you.

The budget needs to be reworked. Cut costs elsewhere. I understand most states are in a budget crisis, but the budget must be reworked and soon. This could put people out of their homes.

And no need to be sarcastic. I am trying to have a civil discussion.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 10:25:25 PM »
The pay cut would likely be short term, as it would only be in effect until the Dems get a budget passed onto Ahnold's desk for him to sign.  More than likely everyone affected would receive back pay once the budget is passed.

Offline ConservativeJoeG

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »
That's a win for the unions.