Author Topic: Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg says taxing drivers by the mile "shows a  (Read 865 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215272145

Star Member demmiblue
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg says taxing drivers by the mile "shows a lot of promise"...

The Recount
@therecount
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg says taxing drivers by the mile “shows a lot of promise” and could be a way to fund a big infrastructure overhaul.

Couple of things here. Joe told you he wasn’t going to raise your taxes, didn’t he?  He said less than $400k/year then almost immediately dropped that to $200k/year.

Now it looks like he’s dropping that to $1.00/year. LOL. If you don’t think this proposal wouldn’t effect every single person, you’re not thinking this through.

Here’s the second thing, but first the hilarious post!

Krispos42

13. I imagine it would replace the gas tax with a mileage tax
Which makes sense, considering we're transitioning to a nearly-all-electric car economy.

The fewer cars that buy gas, the fewer taxes are collected for highway infrastructure. A 3,000 pound car causes wear and tear on the road regardless of the method of propulsion, but all-electric cars don't buy the fuel that funds the highways.

I guess the best way to do this would be to base the rate on the vehicle weight (perhaps in 250-pound increments). Then instead of getting your emissions done once every couple of years you'd get your odometer read and pay your highway tax.

In Connecticut I pay 35.75 cents per gallon in federal and state taxes.

I drive about 15,000 miles a year and probably average about 27 mpg. So that's not quite $200 a year, or about 1.32 cents per mile.

My car, a Ford Focus, weighs about 3,100 pounds empty. So if we used 250-pound brackets as the method, my car would be in the 13th bracket (3,000 to 3,250). Make each bracket be about .100 cents per mile. Or 100 millicents.

If you want to drive a 5800-pound Range Rover, well, that's the 24th bracket, so 2.400 cents per mile.

If you want to zip around on an electric motorcyle that weighs 600 pounds, well, you're in the 3rd bracket, so thats .300 cents per mile.

Just spitballing here.

Ahahahahahahaha!!!  If you think they’re going to eliminate one tax to implement another ...  you’ve got another think coming!!  LOL

Slow Joe is about to tax us coming and going and YOU voted for it!  He LIED to you.

You know who this won’t affect?  The wealthy.

Big, huge thread. I’m on my phone so I’m not going to bring more over.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Ok, I couldn’t resist bringing this one over.

14 hrs ago
Klaralven
17. Just install more EZ Pass wickets and license plate readers.
Besides, on highways you mostly need to tax truckers, since they cause most of the maintenance costs. Even a two ton SUV causes a lot less road wear than a 30 ton 18-wheeler.

:rofl:

Yeah, then it only effects those greedy trucking corporations!   :rotf:

I don’t think they grasp the facts of how taxes and corporations/companies work. You tax my business and I’m simply a collection agency for the government.

Nuff said.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Everybody buy a yellow-vest... because that what the riots in Europe were about. 

If 4 trucks right now, dropped-off loads on the West Coast... 1 comes back empty and 1 comes back half-empty.  That percentage may've even gotten worse over the Winter. 

Offline SVPete

Star Member demmiblue
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg says taxing drivers by the mile "shows a lot of promise"...

The Recount
@therecount
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg says taxing drivers by the mile “shows a lot of promise” and could be a way to fund a big infrastructure overhaul.

The working poor, lower middle class, and rural people attacked by Dems again. They'll be attacked as they go about their working lives, and they'll be attacked again when they pay consequent higher prices for food and other necessities. Brilliant!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thundley4

This is just another ploy to push people to use mass transit and move away from personal vehicles. Tax and track would be the new motto. To tax you on your mileage, they would use GPS trackers.

Offline DLR Pyro

Krispos42

13. I imagine it would replace the gas tax with a mileage tax

yeah, you keep thinking that sparky.  You're as sharp as the leading edge of a bowlng ball..
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215272145

Couple of things here. Joe told you he wasn’t going to raise your taxes, didn’t he?  He said less than $400k/year then almost immediately dropped that to $200k/year.

Now it looks like he’s dropping that to $1.00/year. LOL. If you don’t think this proposal wouldn’t effect every single person, you’re not thinking this through.

Here’s the second thing, but first the hilarious post!

Ahahahahahahaha!!!  If you think they’re going to eliminate one tax to implement another ...  you’ve got another think coming!!  LOL

Slow Joe is about to tax us coming and going and YOU voted for it!  He LIED to you.

You know who this won’t affect?  The wealthy.

Big, huge thread. I’m on my phone so I’m not going to bring more over.

KC

Yeah, the federal and state governments NEVER get rid of existing taxes.  When the state of Illinois started their tollway structure decades ago, it was promised that the toll roads would be gone by the year 2000.  Not only are they not gone, they've expanded to other roads and the tolls have tripled or quadrupled.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
This is just another ploy to push people to use mass transit and move away from personal vehicles. Tax and track would be the new motto. To tax you on your mileage, they would use GPS trackers.

And they’ll do it all in the name of “do it for those you love!  Help us save the planet or you are a selfish bastard!”

KC

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

And they’ll do it all in the name of “do it for those you love!  Help us save the planet or you are a selfish bastard!”

KC

as they drive or are are chauffeured around in their mileage exempt government vehicles...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Hey Pete, here's a thought. Instead of letting states put the gasoline taxes in their general funds like here in California,  how about you mandate those funds be spent on the roads. You know, like they're supposed to be? Same for the tax you feds profit from without doing the work for it that the "evil" oil companies do to get the oil from the ground and process it to get the products from what they harvest.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline SVPete

Hey Pete, here's a thought. Instead of letting states put the gasoline taxes in their general funds like here in California,  how about you mandate those funds be spent on the roads. You know, like they're supposed to be? Same for the tax you feds profit from without doing the work for it that the "evil" oil companies do to get the oil from the ground and process it to get the products from what they harvest.

Stealing gas tax and vehicle registration $$ and using it on mass transit boondoggles and to camouflage deficits is a California tradition dating to the first Moonbeam regime and Adriana I-Hate-Highways GiantTurkey.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Krispos42

13. I imagine it would replace the gas tax with a mileage tax.....

That's not what would happen, dude, especially with greedy Democrats in power.

If a mileage tax were adopted, the gasoline tax would still be assessed.

One could bet the farm on it.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 03:41:23 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Peter Buttplug needs to come up with a different hobby other than raising anyone’s taxes, especially the poor.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline landofconfusion80

Peter Buttplug needs to come up with a different hobby other than raising anyone’s taxes, especially the poor.

He really wants you to try his newest car invention
https://giphy.com/gifs/southparkgifs-l0HlHelCbB9fyXDOw
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline DUmpDiver

And once states have the GPS data they'll use it to generate even more revenue by issuing speeding tickets based on the GPS data. And they'll "sell" it claiming that it's not about revenue but about safety.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Remember Obama's "shovel ready" infrastructure jobs we paid a trillion dollars for?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Drafe Hoblin

I know a shovel that's ready...  for Democrats' non-plan plans.

Offline Old n Grumpy

How about taxing pete for riding on the hershey highway.  :-) :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DUmpDiver

How about taxing pete for riding on the hershey highway.  :-) :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

He should at least be ticketed for going the wrong way up a one-way street.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 03:57:20 PM by DUmpDiver »

Offline MAGA2024

• Probationary (Probie)
Mayor Buttplug needs to be taxed for every inch he swallows.