Author Topic: Aftermath Update 2: Misery and Desperation  (Read 594 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Aftermath Update 2: Misery and Desperation
« on: August 31, 2020, 10:17:55 AM »
https://democraticunderground.com/100214001132

Solly Mack (78,622 posts)

Aftermath Update 2: Misery and Desperation

While I have some battery time.

1. Still no electricity. September 3rd timeline pushed back.

2. City was without water in some places and boil advisory in others. Water restored locally.

3. Some hard hit areas won't have water or electricity for months.

4. Can't boil water without the means to do so.

5. Almost nothing is open for business locally.

6. Mad rush for what is available. Limited supplies, thousands of people trying to get them.

7. Gouging is taking place.

8. Money, if you're fortunate, can't buy what isn't available. We're fortunate and can't get everything we need.

9. 5 hour lines for gas. Which runs out daily. First 36 hours no gas to be had.

10. Well known home improvement store finally opened with restricted hours. 3- 4 hour waits, with a lottery, to buy much needed items. Generators, propane (running low all over), grills, batteries, flashlights, solar lights.

11. Walmart is shuttered. Cardboard covers doors so people can't see inside. This was done after the hurricane. Biggest all in one store in parish closed.

12. One and only one other available to all grocery store is open. Limited hours and goods. Selling out quick.

13. Military Commissary not open. Keep saying they will but can't seem to pull it off.

14. PX closed indefinitely. Military shopping mall.

15. Gas is running out all over.

16. People angry, tired. It's getting ugly and desperate.

17. Forget Covid19 precautions. Few are following the state mandate right now.

18. Grills of all types gone in minutes. Fire pits, too. Fans and AC window units sold out.

19. Mail delayed. Shipping delayed. You can order but it's going to take weeks.

20. Parish has 1 civilian hospital. ONE. Lots of clinics but those lack power.

21. There is a military hospital but civilians can't use.

22. FEMA excluded my Parish from hotel vouchers for those without electricity. The elderly and sick needed those vouchers. I've seen the official list of aid. I know this for a fact.

23. The very few businesses that are open are running on generators.

24. Both the military and civilian hospitals are as well.

Water systems, a shitload of them, were destroyed or contaminated.

We were not the hardest hit. Though we do have millions in damage and a lot of problems. I feel so incredibly scared for those worse off. If a parish that took less damage can't get it together or get the help needed, how bad must it be for those who lost everything?

Weather: Sustained Heat advisory. Yesterday we hit 99. Before that, 102. 100, 101, 101. Today will be no better.

I've got coffee. Still miserable. Husband is working extended hours as an "essential" worker. I'm trying to keep the animals comfortable, as well as checking on friends who are disabled.

Got some time off today so one of us can stand in a line and hope our ticket is a winner. We need essential items, enough to share with our friends who can't stand in line.

Some kindness of strangers is taking place. Some. But people are being mean, rude, selfish, angry, greedy, impatient and all around assholes.

I can't stay online long. I'm rationing my battery charges.

Again, Thanks for listening.

Just a guess here, but it kind of looks like someone didn't do any pre-planning for the hurricane.  This thing hit on Thursday and if you count Thursday, that was 4 days ago.  4 days.  There are things on this list of whines you shouldn't be out of and if you can't figure out how to boil water because you have no electricity ... I hope you're not allowed to vote.

During hurricane Rita (2005) we were without power for almost 10 days and I grilled a lot of food.  During hurricane Ike (2008) we were without power for about a week.  During Hurricane Harvey (2017) we were without power for just a couple of days, but you couldn't go anywhere due to the incredible amount of flooding we had.  I think we got 60" + of rain in a week.

I didn't hear anyone I knew crying like the poster above.  We all shared what we had, and most of us had enough to last a very long time if need be.

Lots of Trump blame on the thread ... imagine that.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
Re: Aftermath Update 2: Misery and Desperation
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 11:09:16 AM »
Lost on the primitives is that the time to buy a back-up generator is before the crisis not after. The time to stock up on emergency food comes before the storm clouds. You know like those insane preppers, but on a smaller scale.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 11:46:43 AM »
Lost on the primitives is that the time to buy a back-up generator is before the crisis not after. The time to stock up on emergency food comes before the storm clouds. You know like those insane preppers, but on a smaller scale.

Makes one wonder if any of the DUmmies have visited with people who are in almost the exact same circumstances (the trying to find supplies and necessities) as some of those in the area where the rioters have DESTROYED city blocks of stores?

My guess is, probably not.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Online Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 06:10:52 PM »
I could go down a list of bad storms we’ve had.  Bertha, Fran, Dennis 1 and then Dennis 2, Floyd, Isabella, Irene, Arthur, Florence, Dorian, Michael...etc.  Never once have I or my family been without, come close on like gas, but never without.  We had what we needed before hand as everyone else has said.  We help or friends and neighbors that need it. Large chain grocery like Kroger and Food Lion had trucks here that gave each person 40 pounds of ice and six gallons of water a day for free.  Hell Florence was on us for three straight days and the winds never shifted and we had 13.5 foot storm surge.  Some people are just getting back in their homes after two years.

While I feel for the people that just got slammed by Laura, I actually have no pity for these dumbasses that didn’t prepare and those bitching about what the government’s not doing for them.  It’s YOUR responsibility!!!
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 06:47:50 PM »
I could go down a list of bad storms we’ve had.  Bertha, Fran, Dennis 1 and then Dennis 2, Floyd, Isabella, Irene, Arthur, Florence, Dorian, Michael...etc.  Never once have I or my family been without, come close on like gas, but never without.  We had what we needed before hand as everyone else has said.  We help or friends and neighbors that need it. Large chain grocery like Kroger and Food Lion had trucks here that gave each person 40 pounds of ice and six gallons of water a day for free.  Hell Florence was on us for three straight days and the winds never shifted and we had 13.5 foot storm surge.  Some people are just getting back in their homes after two years.

While I feel for the people that just got slammed by Laura, I actually have no pity for these dumbasses that didn’t prepare and those bitching about what the government’s not doing for them.  It’s YOUR responsibility!!!

Amen!  People have been trained over the last several decades to sit in their ass and wait for someone to come take care of them.

KC

*Stolen