Author Topic: Man Beheads Girlfriend in Greece, Fled in Patrol Car  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Willow

• Limousine
Man Beheads Girlfriend in Greece, Fled in Patrol Car
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »
ATHENS, Greece —  A 31-year-old man killed his girlfriend on the Greek island of Santorini on Sunday, beheaded her, then fled in a patrol car, a local official said.

During the ensuing chase, the suspect was shot five times by police and ran over two women doctors who were riding a motorcycle before he was caught, the official said.

The suspect, Athanassios Arvanitis, a cook at a local restaurant, is undergoing surgery at an island hospital, said Chrysanthos Roussos, head of the Santorini district on the island.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,396703,00.html

seem like mooselims have started a new fad! Crap!

Offline Willow

• Limousine
Re: Man Beheads Girlfriend in Greece, Fled in Patrol Car
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:50:55 AM »
at least the Greek policemen had balls enough to shoot the monster but why they're wasting time in the OR is beyond my comprehension.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:56:23 AM »
Wow! I spent 3 days on Santorini a few years ago...it is such a peaceful place and wonderful people. This has to be overwhelming for many of them.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:57:27 AM »
There is something very wrong when people are getting more and more barbaric like this. I find this type of thing incredibly offsetting and disgusting. I'm grateful my sensitivities to this kind of barbarism are still intact and that it probably is for most of the people I share this forum with.

I don't think this is Muslim related. This shows a certain empathy that is slipping away from once civilized people, no matter their loyalties to religion or country. To abuse a corpse? It's not enough to take a life in anger and cold blood, an act horrifying and viscious in itself, now people have to violate a person's dead body. It seems an attempt to totally denigrate and humiliate someone even beyond death and even a knife through the heart of that person's loved ones to know how brutally they were treated.

May the murdered young woman RIP.  :(

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:00:06 AM »
Wow! I spent 3 days on Santorini a few years ago...it is such a peaceful place and wonderful people. This has to be overwhelming for many of them.

I've been there too, one of the most beautiful places I've seen.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:04:39 AM »

Exactly, makes me sad that even a place like Santorini is not untouched by such vile acts.

Greek Orthodox is the primary religion there, not Muslim.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 10:09:01 AM »

Exactly, makes me sad that even a place like Santorini is not untouched by such vile acts.

Greek Orthodox is the primary religion there, not Muslim.

I know, when I made the reference to a "new fad" I was thinking all the way back to Danny Pearl and all the subsequent beheading which have happened round the world" that's what I meant by started a 'fad".

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »

I wonder if this is the long term effect of all the coverage that terrorists got hacking their captives' heads off.

it doesn't seem like heads got cut off so frequently in the past.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 10:15:29 AM »

I wonder if this is the long term effect of all the coverage that terrorists got hacking their captives' heads off.

Is it that, or any type of horrendous violence done to a person.....or that the world has become much "smaller" due to mass communications, the internet, etc.? And we find out stuff that years ago, may have made local papers, but not national, let alone world news.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 10:16:26 AM »

Is it that, or any type of horrendous violence done to a person.....or that the world has become much "smaller" due to mass communications, the internet, etc.? And we find out stuff that years ago, may have made local papers, but not national, let alone world news.

Interesting, I'd think it's a combination of the two. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 10:26:34 AM »

It's a return to barbarism in general and it's sensationalizing in the media. Life is again becoming expendable and it is broadcast over and over again which in some way trivializes it.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:55:20 AM »
I think it started in the late 60s or early 70s when the media began televising abhorrent scenes from Viet Nam. I recall when the media wouldn't publish videos with the sickening videos of what was going on over there and then, they started sneaking them in, little by little. I think that the media has desensitized the world over the horrible scenes and diminished the atrocity of death. Over the last four decades, it's gotten worse and worse. People, due to the media's recklessness, just don't value life, property, or themselves as much as they did four and five decades ago.

As an example of the slope we've traversed down, just yesterday I was at WalMart here in Texomaland and observed people going into the store, dressed like BUMS!!! My Grandmother and Mom wouldn't have been caught dead out in public like that. Yet, these people seem to have no pride in themselves or their appearance any more. If they don't respect themselves, how can they respect or value anything else??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 10:58:20 AM »
I think it started in the late 60s or early 70s when the media began televising abhorrent scenes from Viet Nam. I recall when the media wouldn't publish videos with the sickening videos of what was going on over there and then, they started sneaking them in, little by little. I think that the media has desensitized the world over the horrible scenes and diminished the atrocity of death. Over the last four decades, it's gotten worse and worse. People, due to the media's recklessness, just don't value life, property, or themselves as much as they did four and five decades ago.

As an example of the slope we've traversed down, just yesterday I was at WalMart here in Texomaland and observed people going into the store, dressed like BUMS!!! My Grandmother and Mom wouldn't have been caught dead out in public like that. Yet, these people seem to have no pride in themselves or their appearance any more. If they don't respect themselves, how can they respect or value anything else??

I was just talking to somebody about this today! How women(and men) will walk into the local store in pajama bottoms and slippers. I don't go in dressed to the nines, but hair back(if you don't want to fix it up), face washed, and clothes presentable and appropriate doesn't seem too much to ask. Again, it's the death of civility in general.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 11:08:25 AM »

I was just talking to somebody about this today! How women(and men) will walk into the local store in pajama bottoms and slippers. I don't go in dressed to the nines, but hair back(if you don't want to fix it up), face washed, and clothes presentable and appropriate doesn't seem too much to ask. Again, it's the death of civility in general.
Jesus! I only did it once! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 11:12:16 AM »

Jesus! I only did it once! :-)

:hammer: for shame! :thatsright: :-)

At least she's got sneakers on--probably without socks :thatsright:

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 11:17:55 AM »
I rarely wear socks with my sneakers.  It's a habit I got into out in California when I was doing a lot of running. (The socks would cause worse abrasions than the shoes and would often fall down and cause more problems. I was running 5-8 miles, daily.) Of course, my sneakers' "shelf life" is dramatically diminished due to this fact.  :o
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »
I rarely wear socks with my sneakers.  It's a habit I got into out in California when I was doing a lot of running. (The socks would cause worse abrasions than the shoes and would often fall down and cause more problems. I was running 5-8 miles, daily.) Of course, my sneakers' "shelf life" is dramatically diminished due to this fact.  :o

That's with a purpose though, Thor. The young lady I was referring to probably has done it out of laziness, much like the rest of the 'outfit'.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 12:26:55 PM »
Even doing my drivebys, at least my hair is brushed (or under a ballcap), my face washed (mascara and lip gloss on) and teeth brushed and I have on decent shorts/jeans and a top. Have to admit I usually have some sort of sandal/flipflop on.

And I don't even get out of the car.

Bad upbringing, I guess. :whatever:

Online Airwolf

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 02:08:23 PM »
Insanity knows no boundaries. Geographical or Religious. The guy was a nut and the Greek police need bigger bullets or better training.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 05:47:43 AM »
Quote from: Airwolf
Insanity knows no boundaries. Geographical or Religious. The guy was a nut and the Greek police need bigger bullets or better training.

If a trained cop can hit a target 5 times and not kill it, they need both a bigger weapon AND some instruction on where to point it.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 06:56:09 AM »
Quote from: Airwolf

If a trained cop can hit a target 5 times and not kill it, they need both a bigger weapon AND some instruction on where to point it.

well at least they tried. CRMP just sat there and watched their guy have bkf.