Author Topic: SIRIUS and XM Complete Merger  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
SIRIUS and XM Complete Merger
« on: July 31, 2008, 10:22:03 AM »
SIRIUS XM Radio Chosen as New Corporate Name

Combined Company Has Over 18.5 Million Subscribers, Annualized Second Quarter Revenue Exceeding $2.4 Billion
Company to Offer Consumers Best of Both Services, While Maximizing Significant Efficiencies
SIRIUS XM Reiterates Financial Guidance; Expects 2009 Synergies of $400 million and 2009 Adjusted EBITDA of over $300 Million
NEW YORK, July 29, 2008 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI) and XM Satellite Radio today announced that they have completed their merger, resulting in the nation's premier radio company. The new company plans to change its corporate name to SIRIUS XM Radio Inc. The combined company's stock will continue to be traded on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the symbol "SIRI."

SIRIUS XM Radio begins day one with over 18.5 million subscribers, making it the second-largest radio company, based upon revenue, in the country; and, based upon subscribers, the second largest subscription media business in the U.S. With under 10% penetration of the home and car market, the opportunity for continued growth is significant.

link

The total number of subscribers nationwide is second only to Comcast. I'm a Sirius subscriber. I wonder what the "a-la-carte" options are going to look like.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Lauri

Re: SIRIUS and XM Complete Merger
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 12:03:11 PM »
did anyone see what Howard Stern was saying about all this? He said he would never, ever again vote for a Democrat. He said the Dems in office have so screwed up these airwave issues and such, that he sees how criminal the whole process is now.

maybe I saw it on DU, I dunno... but it was an interesting thing to read from a real liberals point of view. he didnt sound crazy, and i actually agreed with him.

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:45 PM »
did anyone see what Howard Stern was saying about all this? He said he would never, ever again vote for a Democrat. He said the Dems in office have so screwed up these airwave issues and such, that he sees how criminal the whole process is now.

maybe I saw it on DU, I dunno... but it was an interesting thing to read from a real liberals point of view. he didnt sound crazy, and i actually agreed with him.

stern never was a liberal, he is a libertarian who usually votes for republicans.  He voted for bush before, and now he's going for McCain.
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 02:30:32 PM »

stern never was a liberal, he is a libertarian who usually votes for republicans.  He voted for bush before, and now he's going for McCain.

libertarian? hmm... ok. i'll take your word for it, as i dont listen to him at all. the few comments ive seen him make in the MSM, is that he is pretty open to most things, the more offensive the better. i guess i need to look up what the libertarian party stands for these days :-)

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »
I wonder what the "a-la-carte" options are going to look like.

anything worth having.  gotta pay for all that debt somehow.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:43:12 PM »

libertarian? hmm... ok. i'll take your word for it, as i dont listen to him at all. the few comments ive seen him make in the MSM, is that he is pretty open to most things, the more offensive the better. i guess i need to look up what the libertarian party stands for these days :-)

he ran for governor of NY as a libertarian about 10 years ago
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 02:52:02 PM »

he ran for governor of NY as a libertarian about 10 years ago

didnt know that either.

its hard to get past his bathroom humor, but he must be a decent businessman. he got how many tens of millions out of Sirrius? but he narrowed his market substantially. his audience is 20somethings and 30somethings...

Offline Jim

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 02:57:31 PM »
its hard to get past his bathroom humor, but he must be a decent businessman. he got how many tens of millions out of Sirrius? but he narrowed his market substantially. his audience is 20somethings and 30somethings...

oddly enough, the target audience of this media !
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:03:48 PM »

im the first one to admit, i dont know much about satellite radio. jeff just had his little do hookie up and die last week, so as of now, we dont have XM.. but still, if you take your free listeners and make them pay for it, will they?

i dont know many 20somethings with the ability to buy extraneous stuff yet, but these are all new college grads, looking for jobs that i'm speaking of..

Offline Jim

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »

im the first one to admit, i dont know much about satellite radio. jeff just had his little do hookie up and die last week, so as of now, we dont have XM.. but still, if you take your free listeners and make them pay for it, will they?

i dont know many 20somethings with the ability to buy extraneous stuff yet, but these are all new college grads, looking for jobs that i'm speaking of..

Free listeners ?   None of it is free.  Its like basic cable and premium channels, at least it will be I'm understanding.  Want Howard ?  That'll be an extra $2 a month.  NFL ?  $5 etc.

Kids will waste their money on this stuff and set their 50" flat panel TV on a milk crate they stole.

My experience with it is,in the words of the Boss "57 channels and there's nothing on".

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 03:34:04 PM »
Free listeners ?   None of it is free.  Its like basic cable and premium channels, at least it will be I'm understanding.  Want Howard ?  That'll be an extra $2 a month.  NFL ?  $5 etc.

Kids will waste their money on this stuff and set their 50" flat panel TV on a milk crate they stole.

My experience with it is,in the words of the Boss "57 channels and there's nothing on".

I like satellite radio. I like the fact that I'm not listening to 20 minutes of commercials when I want music. Sometimes, I get tired of my iPod, even in shuffle mode.

There are a few channels that I have programmed in that I listen to regularly. Out of 170 or so channels, I listen to 10.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Lauri

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 03:58:33 PM »

well, thats just my point.. and by 'free' i mean, they just had to have a radio and they could hear Howard Stern every day.

now with sirrius or xm, you have to buy their little do hookie and pay for the service.

my 22 year old wont pay for subscriptions for *any*thing.. her crowd doesnt want to pay fees and such.

or maybe i just raised a tightwad..? :-)

Offline Jim

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 04:01:35 PM »
well, thats just my point.. and by 'free' i mean, they just had to have a radio and they could hear Howard Stern every day.

now with sirrius or xm, you have to buy their little do hookie and pay for the service.

my 22 year old wont pay for subscriptions for *any*thing.. her crowd doesnt want to pay fees and such.

or maybe i just raised a tightwad..? :-)

oh I get it now, free when he was over the air.

the missus insisted on getting it, didn't want to renew after the 1st year but the kiddo revolted and picked up the tab then they both were sick of it after year two and cancelled.  oddly enough, it still works.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 05:13:41 PM »
When does this take effect? I have XM and want the NFL network. :hyper:
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Sadie

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »
I have XM in my car and out of all those channels I might listen to several. don't know anything about Sirius but does this mean I will get both of them? XM really isn't worth the money and my subscription is up in January 09.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 08:26:49 PM »
I've listened to XM, and I'm not impressed.  If I want talk radio, I can get it from my local stations.  The only thing I would pay for would be to hear my Pandora station in my car.  THAT I would pay for.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 08:43:30 PM »
I have XM in my car and out of all those channels I might listen to several. don't know anything about Sirius but does this mean I will get both of them? XM really isn't worth the money and my subscription is up in January 09.

You will get them both on your existing radio.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:54 PM »
I do enjoy listening to XM's 40's and 50's channels on occasion.  I found out that Mel Torme is more than a punchline on an overplayed 80's sitcom. 

The Velvet Fog, indeed.  :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 08:57:27 PM by Chris »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 08:59:24 PM »
I do enjoy listening to XM's 40's and 50's channels on occasion.  I found out that Mel Torme is more than a punchline on an overplayed 80's sitcom. 

The Velvel Fog, indeed.  :)

I like the 40's, 60's, bluegrass, bluesville and Willie's Place.