Author Topic: Ehud Olmert to step down as Israeli PM  (Read 1125 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Ehud Olmert to step down as Israeli PM
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:40:06 PM »

In a surprise press conference, Mr Olmert said he could not adequately defend himself against an ongoing police investigation, and therefore would not contest his Kadima party's leadership race on Sept 17. He pledged to resign once a new leader was selected.

"The prime minister does not stand above the law but also is not below the law," he said, referring to media leaks of private testimony which have virtually convicted him in the public eye, though charges have yet to be laid.

"Maybe in my decision today I have opened the window to a new reality."

Mr Olmert denies all wrongdoing. But his popularity is at a record low, with new polling showing that 77.3 per cent of Israelis disapprove of his leadership, and he was expected to finish last if he did contest the Kadima leadership this autumn.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/2475909/Ehud-Olmert-to-step-down-as-Israeli-PM.html

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Ehud Olmert to step down as Israeli PM
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »
Given that Mr. Olmert is/was an attorney by training, and his lack of experience as a warrior/Israeli Army commander was largely responsible for the Israeli "bend over and grab the ankles" strategy in the Israeli/Palestinian brawl 2 years ago, this is probably well timed to get somebody who can actually DEFEND Israel in office and spun up in time to take the hurt to the Iranian nuclear facilities.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:53:49 PM »
Given that Mr. Almeta is/was an attorney by training, and his lack of experience as a warrior/Israeli Army commander was largely responsible for the Israeli "bend over and grab the ankles" strategy in the Israeli/Palestinian brawl 2 years ago, this is probably well timed to get somebody who can actually DEFEND Israel in office and spun up in time to take the hurt to the Iranian nuclear facilities.

Unless I miss my guess, this will be a "party" election, and result in a new Kadima (liberal) leader, not a general election which might result in the conservative Lekuid (sp?) party regaining power, with a leader that might actually defend the country.

Since I'm not an expert in parliamentary governments, Bijou....correct me if I'm incorrect......

doc
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:33:06 AM by TVDOC »

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 03:57:16 PM »
Given that Mr. Almeta is/was an attorney by training, and his lack of experience as a warrior/Israeli Army commander was largely responsible for the Israeli "bend over and grab the ankles" strategy in the Israeli/Palestinian brawl 2 years ago, this is probably well timed to get somebody who can actually DEFEND Israel in office and spun up in time to take the hurt to the Iranian nuclear facilities.

Unless I miss my guess, this will be a "party" election, and result in a new Kadima (liberal) leader, not a general election which might result in the conservative Lecuid (sp?) party regaining power, with a leader that might actually defend the country.

Since I'm not an expert in parliamentary governments, Bijou....correct me if I'm incorrect......

doc
You are right there won't automatically be an election. Indications are that the coalition will stay together with a new PM.