Author Topic: Woman Accused in MySpace Suicide Case Seeks to Have All Charges Dismissed  (Read 10703 times)

Offline Lord Undies

I don't like the slippery slope at all. The liberals are only too happy to watch us willingly step up to said slope only to wait until they can use it against us to bump us over the edge. Nope. Not liking it all.

Civil court. That's where this vile woman belongs.

I can also live with the fact that she'll be shunned til her dying day. I'd also be happy if a civil court ruled that she couldn't change her identity to "start over". Nope. She should be forced to live with this around her neck until she no longer draws breath. That to me is far worse than establishing a draconian law that may later ensnare innocent individuals.

You keep this up and people will say we're lovers.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Shhh! :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Online Airwolf

I don't like the slippery slope at all. The liberals are only too happy to watch us willingly step up to said slope only to wait until they can use it against us to bump us over the edge. Nope. Not liking it all.

I can also live with the fact that she'll be shunned til her dying day. I'd also be happy if a civil court ruled that she couldn't change her identity to "start over". Nope. She should be forced to live with this around her neck until she no longer draws breath. That to me is far worse than establishing a draconian law that may later ensnare innocent individuals.

Something along those lines would be fair enough under the laws we have. There still needs to be some kind of civil settlement to the kids family.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Uuuuuuuuh, you guys do know that Missouri has since passed an cyber bullying law, right?

There are federal laws which come in to play depending upon where the server, which handles that communities internet, is located - interstate wire fraud comes to mind since she committed a fraud when she opened that MySpace account.

Just like I defrauded CC when I said my name is "Free Dumb2003"?  If I go to Hotmail and open an account to then open a MySpace account, is that a Federal Crime?  No, it isn't.

Give me a freaking break.

As far as the Cyber Bullying goes, if this pozt makes you cry (it might), am I guilty of it?

Last thing: Look up "Bill of Attainder."

What she did is far different than signing up on an anonymous board.  She signed up on a networking site as a "real person" established contact with one specific target and proceeded to slowly drive that person crazy.  A person IIRC that she know to be emotionally unstable already.  Makes for an interesting case but what the prosecutor is saying is that girl would not be dead if Lori Drew did not enter her cyber life and tear her apart.

Trying to compare that to our ridicule of DU is trivializing that girl's death and the probably horrifyingly emotionally painful last days of her 15 year old life.

Again, WHAT LAW WAS BROKEN? 

Certainly not "unauthorized use" -- the person was using MySpace in an authorized manner: She signed on using the id and password she set up for herself.  She didn't hack in or even sign on using someone else's id and password.

You need to wrap your head around the idea that this is a criminal prosecution and should not go forward since no crime has been committed.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Looking at the civil half, there are significant legal hurdles to overcome.  The "penalty" for abusing a MySpace account is loss of the account -- nothing more.  Intentional infliction of emotional distress is about as far as you can go -- a few thousand bucks at best.  Unless you can prove she knew the girl was going to suicide, that probably won't get very much.

"Shunning," OTOH is very doable.  The Internet was used to perpetrate this -- it could and should be used to track this woman and keep pressure on her forever.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Uuuuuuuuh, you guys do know that Missouri has since passed an cyber bullying law, right?

There are federal laws which come in to play depending upon where the server, which handles that communities internet, is located - interstate wire fraud comes to mind since she committed a fraud when she opened that MySpace account.

The law would not apply to Lori Drew, due to ex post facto. I do believe there are existing laws she broke in the state. She even admitted that the messages were sexual in nature. Had Lori Drew been Larry Drew, he would be in the slammer. You all remember Dateline: To Catch A Predator with Chris Hansen? Lori Drew's behavior was no different from what they did. Talk about a double standard when it comes to gender of sex offenders.  :whatever:

Lori Drew owned a thriving business, member of Chamber of Commerce, homeowner, and married with two children. If one was the measure success, Lori Drew is a successful women and lived the American dream. One would think, she would not do that.

From what I have read, Lori Drew is a woman who takes every slighting as an attack on her and gets extremely wrapped up on her children's squabbles. She is a collector of injustices, a narcissists, sociopath, and never really matured. A sad fact nowadays that many adults are no more mature than children. Having children would make one mature, but for some, they are still immature. I saw a photo of her on the Internet and I can tell by the eyes of her, she is seething with rage.

I suspect her daughter, Sarah, was used as a pawn for her own self-absorbed gains. She goes to blame her own daughter for starting it, even though, she did not play much of a role in it. Just because, Sarah was not Megan's friend is no excuse to get upset. Everyone who went through middle school can related to that. Friends for one day, not friends for the next, and the friends they day after. I am pretty sure Sarah and Megan would be friends again.

I understand many are concerned about the precendants, but we at least get to hear what Lori Drew has to say and perhaps it can reveal what she was like as a child. She has been silent about it. I am sure regardless of verdict, she will be slapped with a lawsuit by the Meiers and other people who were involved in the hoax because they felt that Lori Drew ruined them. That aspect of people involved in the hoax would get thrown out. By than she will be in huge debt from the case, since lawyers cost a lot. One has to wonder if Lori Drew might get killed at the hand of an angry lynch mob, which I think it could happen.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:26:08 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

I do believe there are existing laws she broke in the state. She even admitted that the messages were sexual in nature. Had Lori Drew been Larry Drew, he would be in the slammer. You all remember Dateline: To Catch A Predator with Chris Hansen? Lori Drew's behavior was no different from what they did. Talk about a double standard when it comes to gender of sex offenders.   

I respectfully disagree -- her intent had to have been unlawful sexual contact.  The arrival of the perp at the subject's house or contact place "knowing" the subject was underage is sufficient to prove intent.

There was not that type of intent here -- this was just an intent to mentally hurt.

Offline Lord Undies

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2008/01/09/DI2008010902763.html

Privacy, Free Speech and Anonymity on the Internet
Part 2 of Discussion   
Megan Meier (Family Photo)

Daniel J. Solove
Associate Law Professor, George Washington University and Author, 'The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor and Privacy on the Internet'
Friday, January 11, 2008; 12:00 PM

Daniel J. Solove, associate law professor at George Washington University and author of "The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor and Privacy on the Internet," will be online Friday, Jan. 11 at Noon ET to resume his discussion about the Megan Meier-MySpace suicide case and the growing concern over the "Google Generation."

Offline Chris_

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2008/01/09/DI2008010902763.html

Privacy, Free Speech and Anonymity on the Internet
Part 2 of Discussion   
Megan Meier (Family Photo)

Daniel J. Solove
Associate Law Professor, George Washington University and Author, 'The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor and Privacy on the Internet'
Friday, January 11, 2008; 12:00 PM

Daniel J. Solove, associate law professor at George Washington University and author of "The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor and Privacy on the Internet," will be online Friday, Jan. 11 at Noon ET to resume his discussion about the Megan Meier-MySpace suicide case and the growing concern over the "Google Generation."

Extremely interesting article.  There is a lot going on in this case -- but I wonder what, if anything, can or should be done to stop cyber-"lynching" (the reaction, not the original cyber-"bullying").

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
I think that no child should be allowed on My Space until they are at least 18.  I also think that if it isn't for homework the internet should be banned for most kids.  My kids are allowed to go on Webkins and The Weather Channel, that is it.  Too many sick disgusting pieces of shit out there who would love nothing more than to ruin their lives in any way they can.  Call me over protective, I don't care.  When they are 18 and out of my house they can do whatever the hell they want.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

I think that no child should be allowed on My Space until they are at least 18.  I also think that if it isn't for homework the internet should be banned for most kids.  My kids are allowed to go on Webkins and The Weather Channel, that is it.  Too many sick disgusting pieces of shit out there who would love nothing more than to ruin their lives in any way they can.  Call me over protective, I don't care.  When they are 18 and out of my house they can do whatever the hell they want.

My parents bought our first computer when I was 12.  I survived just fine until then. 

I think that's a perfectly fine rule of thumb.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies

Extremely interesting article.  There is a lot going on in this case -- but I wonder what, if anything, can or should be done to stop cyber-"lynching" (the reaction, not the original cyber-"bullying").

Don't think you can and it will always happen. You cannot regulate it anyways. Also, lynching is an overused term.

lynch vt. to murder (an accused person) by mob action and without lawful trial, as by hanging.

Source:
Webster’s New World College Dictionary. 1997. Page 807.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:54:06 PM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies

The Internet is like an unexplored jungle. When I first when on the Internet, I was 14 and it was a different world. Things change in the past 10 years.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

Don't think you can and it will always happen. You cannot regulate it anyways. Lynching is an overused term anyways.

lynch vt. to murder (an accused person) by mob action and without lawful trial, as by hanging.

Source:
Webster’s New World College Dictionary. 1997. Page 807.
Your point is well taken -- "Lynching" is, indeed, over-used and thus the original meaning is watered down.  I was hoping encasing it in quotes would inoculate my usage, but we need a better term.  "Internet dogpiling" maybe?

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know

Just like I defrauded CC when I said my name is "Free Dumb2003"?  If I go to Hotmail and open an account to then open a MySpace account, is that a Federal Crime?  No, it isn't.

As far as the Cyber Bullying goes, if this pozt makes you cry (it might), am I guilty of it?

What she did is far different than signing up on an anonymous board.  She signed up on a networking site as a "real person" established contact with one specific target and proceeded to slowly drive that person crazy.  A person IIRC that she know to be emotionally unstable already.  Makes for an interesting case but what the prosecutor is saying is that girl would not be dead if Lori Drew did not enter her cyber life and tear her apart.

Trying to compare that to our ridicule of DU is trivializing that girl's death and the probably horrifyingly emotionally painful last days of her 15 year old life.

Again, WHAT LAW WAS BROKEN? 

Certainly not "unauthorized use" -- the person was using MySpace in an authorized manner: She signed on using the id and password she set up for herself.  She didn't hack in or even sign on using someone else's id and password.

You need to wrap your head around the idea that this is a criminal prosecution and should not go forward since no crime has been committed.

You should wrap your head around the fact that the prosecutor in this case has more legal experience then you do.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Chris_

You should wrap your head around the fact that the prosecutor in this case has more legal experience then you do.
You should wrap your head around the fact the Prosecutor's stated legal theory is bupkis.

Does the name "Nifong" mean anything to you?

And you have yet to name a single illegal act.  I mean, you have Google -- how hard could it be?

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL

MySpace doesn't ring you up or come to your door unannounced.  You must seek it.  That is where this prosecution gets dangerous.  The victim(s) had all the control in the situation. 

It is my observation that once a case like this is formulated around the slimest of legal circumstances, and yet is successful, it becomes a starting gate to race to see how many other similar cases can be built on flimsier and flimsier legal grounds.

This evil woman and this case belongs in civil court, not in criminal court.  We already have enough laws in this country.  In fact, we have so many laws that we are all walking around as unindicted future felons already.  We don't need to create new circumstances for ourselves. 

I disagree about the amount of control the vic had, she was roped into what she thought was a good thing by Lori.  And honestly I would be happy to see this lady go to prison, primarily because she did what she did with full malice aforethought.  Maybe she didn't know the girl was going to off herself - but Lori set out to cause the maximum amount of emotional harm possible to someone I believe she knew was already emotionally troubled.  If Lori Drew was a peer that may be a different story, but IMHO, as an adult there should be consequences for her actions; and I for one don't really care if it means a little more thought before posting on an internet message board.

IMO the victim had 100% control.  All she had to do was stop going to myspace or at least block the person that was bugging her.  I feel sorry for her family, but I know of no law that was actually broken in this particular case.

And speaking of her family...  This girl was only 13.  Why weren't her parents keeping better track of her internet usage to begin with?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:34:39 PM by rich_t »
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline Chris_

\
IMO the victim had 100% control.  All she had to do was stop going to myspace or at least block the person that was bugging her.  I feel sorry for her family, but I know of no law that was actually broken in this particular case.

And speaking of her family...  This girl was only 13.  Why weren't her parents keeping better track of her internet usage to begin with?

Anyone who allows a child to use a computer in their room is guilty of child abuse.  All computer use should be in the family room in front of the parents.

And cell phones should be the kind that can call 2 numbers and 911 and take incoming calls from pre-defined numbers only.

But that would be "parenting" and too difficult for the most part.

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
\

Anyone who allows a child to use a computer in their room is guilty of child abuse.  All computer use should be in the family room in front of the parents.

And cell phones should be the kind that can call 2 numbers and 911 and take incoming calls from pre-defined numbers only.

But that would be "parenting" and too difficult for the most part.

Children under the age of 16 shouldn't be given cell phones.  IMO.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline RightCoast

You should wrap your head around the fact the Prosecutor's stated legal theory is bupkis.

And you have yet to name a single illegal act.  I mean, you have Google -- how hard could it be?

Sorry charlie I can have an opinion without googling for justification of that opinion - and so can you.
nine eleven is a car

Offline Chris_

Sorry charlie I can have an opinion without googling for justification of that opinion - and so can you.

The difference is mine is an educated opinion. I have backed up every single thought I have had with appropriate legal analysis.  Appeal to Authority is a sad fallacy indeed (friends, don't let this happen to you).

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 08:15:32 PM by freedumb2003 »

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
Ooooh....  This could get interesting.

:popcorn:

Offline Chris_

Ooooh....  This could get interesting.

:popcorn:

Yes, logical fallacy deployment always tickles my ribs.  I too, await the developments.

*popcorn with that theater motor oil-like butter sauce stuff*

Offline RightCoast

The difference is mine is an educated opinion. I have backed up every single thought I have had with appropriate legal analysis.  Appeal to Authority is a sad fallacy indeed (friends, don't let this happen to you).

As a fellow CU poster used to say "put your internet penis away" nobody wants to see it.  All you've done is say no law was broken and called it proper legal analysis.  You are as arrogant as the Barakstar.

Enjoy your popcorn.
nine eleven is a car

Offline Chris_

As a fellow CU poster used to say "put your internet penis away" nobody wants to see it.  All you've done is say no law was broken and called it proper legal analysis.  You are as arrogant as the Barakstar.

Enjoy your popcorn.
I merely await you to back up your position.  I have cross-referenced existing law to the case at hand. So, I put it to you again: WHAT LAW HAS BEEN BROKEN?

I have already easily dispatched the "unauthorized use" law's applicability. 

So, what law has been broken?  I ask because I can tell the law that was broken was "it makes RC upset."