Author Topic: Crystal Skulls  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Crystal Skulls
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
Sci Fi (ooops, SyFy) channel has been running stories about the crystal skulls all this afternoon. I wonder where they came from, how they were made, etc. They APPEAR to date from 5000 years old to a possible 35000 years old.

One of archaeology's most compelling mysteries is that of the 13 Crystal Skulls.  Skulls have been one of the most powerful objects of symbolism in human history, all over the world.  Several "perfect" crystal Skulls have been found in parts of Mexico, Central and South America.  Together, they form a mystery as enigmatic as the Nazca Lines, the Great Pyramids and Stonehenge.

These skulls are believed to be between 5000 and 35000 years old.  During early expeditions, archaeologists were told by locals that the skulls possessed magical powers and healing properties.  However, people were unsure as to where they came from, or even why they existed.  Some like to believe that these were remains from the lost civilization of Atlantis.  Others like to believe these are fakes.  And yet another group of psychics believe that these skulls have the capability to enable us to look into the past, present and future.

Historians and social anthropologists decided to find out more about the strange skulls. Very soon, they came across an ancient Indian legend saying that there had been thirteen crystal skulls of the Goddess of Death; they had been kept separately from each other under the strict control of pagan priests and special warriors.

Searches for more skulls started; some of them were found in museums and some in private collections not only in the USA, but in Mexico, Brazil, France, Mongolia, and in Tibet. There were more than 13 skulls found. However, not all of them were as perfect as Mitchell-Hedges- was. Very likely, those were just later attempts to create something similar to the original skulls that were believed to have been gifts by God to the people.

The very construction and make of the skulls defies common logic.  There are several crystal skulls in existence today around the world.  We start off with the most famous one: The Mitchell-Hedges Skull.

The Mitchell-Hedges Skull
As the story goes, the skull was first discovered by the expedition headed by famous English archeologist F. Albert Mitchell-Hedges in Central America in 1927. Before that, the archeologist started clearing an ancient Maya settlement in a damp tropical jungle in Yucatan (British Honduras at that time and currently Belize) in 1924. It was decided to burn down 33 hectares of forest covering the ancient constructions of the settlement to make the archeological dig easier. When the smoke lifted, the expedition saw amazing ruins of a stone pyramid, city walls, and a huge amphitheatre capable to seating thousands of spectators. The ancient settlement was called Lubaantun: The Place of the Fallen Stones.

After three years, Mitchell-Hedges organized another expedition; he took his daughter Anna with him, but, at that moment, the archeologist hardly supposed that the girl would be a lucky talisman for the expedition. On the day of her 17th birthday, in April 1927, Anna discovered a strange item under the debris of an ancient altar. That was a natural sized human skull made of a rock crystal and wonderfully polished. The skull lacked its lower jaw, which was found dozens meters from the site three months later. The crystal details could be moved with the help of perfect, smooth joints on the skull and easily moved with every touch. Those who touched the skull experienced rather strange feelings.

It now appears that this tale of the skull's discovery was entirely fabricated. Mitchell-Hedges apparently purchased the skull at an auction at Sothebys in London, in 1943. This has been verified by documents at the British Museum, which had bid against Mitchell-Hedges for the crystal artifact, but the origin of which is attributed to Central America.  The skull remains in the possession of the octogenarian Anna Mitchell-Hedges. She resides in Canada and displays the skull on frequent tours. Anna has maintained for all these years that she discovered the skull, even though there is reason to doubt that she was present at the Lubaatun expedition at all.

Continuing, Anna was the first to experience strange things. The girl put the skull near her bed before going to sleep. Anna said that she dreamed of the life of Indians who had lived thousands years ago, and the girl could describe the dream in detail.

At first, Anna didn'tt attribute the strange dream to the crystal skull. However, strange dreams haunted the girl each time she had the skull near her bed. New dreams brought more new details about the life of Indians, details unknown even to scientists. When the skull was removed from the bedroom, there were no strange dreams. And they recommenced as soon as the strange find was taken back to Anna's room. The girl heard Indians talking and watched their everyday life and sacrifice rituals.

After the death of her father, at the beginning of the 1960s, Anna decided to give the strange skull to scientists for investigations. She believed that the skull was too perfect to have been made by the Indian civilizations living before the Columbus discoveries.

First, art critic Frank Dordland started investigating the strange skull. After a closer investigation, he discovered that the skull had a complicated system of lenses, prisms, and channels, creating unusual optical effects. The investigator was surprised to discover no signs of processing on the skull's perfectly polished surface. They couldn't be seen even with a microscope. Frank Dordland even addressed Hewlett-Packard, the famous company that specialized in crystal oscillators at that time, for a competent examination of the crystal.

The results were shocking not only for the scientist himself. The research by Hewlett-Packard in 1964 in a special laboratory revealed that the skull had been made long before the first civilizations appeared in that part of America where the skull was found. In addition, rock crystal of such perfect quality couldn'tt be found in that area. The most amazing thing was that the ancient skull weighing 5.13 kg, 203.4 mm long and 125.4 wide had been made of a whole crystal. This fact contradicted the laws of physics.

Hewlett-Packard experts analyzed the skull and discovered that it consisted of three or four joints grown together. After close analysis, they found out that the skull had been cut of one piece of crystal, together with the lower jaw. The rock crystal has a hardness that is slightly lower than that of topaz, corundum, and diamond; it can be cut with diamonds only. It is astonishing, but the ancient Indians managed to cut it somehow, and even made a lower jaw with the joints. Someone had made the skull of a whole crystal so carefully that it seemed that nobody had ever touched it. A kind of a prism was found at the back bottom of the skull; any ray of light that strikes the eye-sockets is reflected there. If you look into the eye-sockets, you may see the whole room reflected.

Hewlett-Packard experts say that the skull had been made regardless of all laws and rules. They surprisingly said: "The damned thing can't exist at all. Those who had done it had no idea of crystallography or of fiber optics. The people completely ignored the axis of symmetry, which was to prevent the crystal from splitting during processing. It is strange why it didn't split at that!" No matter how unbelievable it may seem, the strange crystal skull can be seen in the Museum of American Indians.

Researchers found that the skull had been carved against the natural axis of the crystal. Modern crystal sculptors always take into account the axis, or orientation of the crystal's molecular symmetry, because if they carve "against the grain," the piece is bound to shatter -- even with the use of lasers and other high-tech cutting methods.

To compound the strangeness, HP could find no microscopic scratches on the crystal which would indicate it had been carved with metal instruments. Dorland's best hypothesis for the skull's construction is that it was roughly hewn out with diamonds, and then the detail work was meticulously done with a gentle solution of silicon sand and water. The exhausting job -- assuming it could possibly be done in this way -- would have required man-hours adding up to 300 years to complete.
More

What's YOUR take on these??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

Re: Crystal Skulls
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:18:52 PM »
Sci Fi (ooops, SyFy) channel has been running stories about the crystal skulls all this afternoon. I wonder where they came from, how they were made, etc. They APPEAR to date from 5000 years old to a possible 35000 years old.
 More

What's YOUR take on these??

I had thought that the History Channel had done a special on this when the Last Indiana Jones came out. The skulls have been determined to be fakes, frauds and scams. 

They are cool looking , though.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »
In addition, recent electron microscope analyses of skulls by the British Museum and the Smithsonian Institution revealed markings that could only have been made with modern carving implements. Both museums estimate that their skulls date to sometime in the mid- to late 1800s, a time when public interest in ancient cultures was high and museums were eager for pieces to display.

Its examinations and the fact that no such skull has ever been uncovered at an official archaeological excavation led the British Museum to extrapolate that all of the famed crystal skulls are likely fakes.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/ancient/crystal-skulls.html

All fake
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline jinxmchue

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:48:13 AM »
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/ancient/crystal-skulls.html

All fake

Thor has lured me out of my hissie-fit, sorry guys, depression, a cold winter and Cabin Fever will do that.

Skulls, those amazing artifacts do exist, fake? or not someone made them, how and when is open to question.

The biggest showed up in the late 1800's what was the technology back then to have created such a thing and why create it in the first place.

My first thought is a bunch of students studying both optics and diamond cutting found this chunk of crystal and found the configuration of the rock reminded them of a human skull.  As a hobby? they may have decided to work together and turn it into what it is today.

It is not unknown to find Geodes that are very large, I was given one years ago that must weigh 50 lbs.   Through the years every once in a while I get out the Drummel Set and try to polish it up, it also is Crystal ? but nothing I have at home will make one bit of difference.

The skin of the chunk looks like granite and covers the bottom and 3 sides, the top and one side are smokey Crystal or quarts or something else.

I find it is not who found this artifact, where they found it, has anything to do with the fact that 130 years ago someone  brought it to the public attention this thing and like the pyramids, no one can tell how or who built it.  The other 12 skulls that exist are perhaps a prototype for the large one.

Someone here mentioned that it is the optic nerve that induces hypnoses, it may be that the eye sockets are cut in such a way as to confuse the brain leading those that look into the sockets to feel vertigo and confusion.

Heck who would have thought that we could take different kinds of rocks and turn them into lasers.  Buck Rogers kind of stuff.

Offline kenth

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:06:13 AM »
Someone here mentioned that it is the optic nerve that induces hypnoses, it may be that the eye sockets are cut in such a way as to confuse the brain leading those that look into the sockets to feel vertigo and confusion.

Interesting. I have an odd problem in that when I drive at night, headlights shining into my rear view mirror instantly makes me sleepy. I don't understand it, and it only started happening a few years ago.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 07:48:49 AM »
Interesting. I have an odd problem in that when I drive at night, headlights shining into my rear view mirror instantly makes me sleepy. I don't understand it, and it only started happening a few years ago.

Kenth, you remind me of a mystery that was finally solved years ago.

Out in the boonies of a north eastern state a 2 lane paved road began to experience accidents at night .No reason for this to spring up suddenly, there was a slight curve to the road but other then that just homes and woods on both sides of the road.

All the accidents came to people who were traveling in just one direction.  This road was used by the residents with little traffic at night.

Those who were driving and could remember the accident all had the same story, they described a feeling of sleepiness a time standing still feeling and then off the road they went. 

After much ado people began to bring in metal detectors even gigerconters---nothing.

The only thing that had changed on that stretch of road in 20 some odd years was a home owner had erected a white picket fence.   Why now out of the blue all these accidents.?

Small town, small police force but a darn good one.  The police took to driving that stretch every hour, after a few nights a Cop ran into a tree.

In comes the State Police and some unidentified people from the Government. 

The mystery was solved and steps taken to remove the danger.

It was a one in 5,000,000 odds that the homeowners who had erected their fence would position it so that the lights of on coming cars would shine and flicker through the fence in a strobe like manner. 

We now today know the effects of flickering light on a body, wasn't is just a few years ago that some games for the PC were taken off the market as children were having mini seizures.?    Movie theaters were accused of placing subliminal flashes on the screen that the brain picked up on but subconsciously, like You are hungry buy popcorn.

Question, did this begin after you bought a new car or truck.?    Perhaps changing the angle of the side mirrors or rear view mirror can help.  Do you get sleepy when driving in the rain or at all times.  Water distorts our vision and your car lights may be bouncing and reflecting off the road.  The auto following you, their lights may be reflecting light from the water that is bouncing all over your side and rear mirrors.

I am not even getting into Hollowgrams or never believe your lying eyes.

Offline kenth

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 03:17:52 PM »
It gives me something to think about. I'll have to try to remember if it started before I had my old Jeep or not. One other thing to consider is that it has a rear window defroster, and the defrost wires are wider than most I've seen, and all run horizontal across the rear window. I wonder if that could be giving enough of a strobe-like effect that my eyes are registering without me consciously realizing it. I suppose I could try swapping out the rear view mirror for a different vehicle's type and see if it makes a difference.

Thank you Vesta. Very interesting and might help.  :cheersmate:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »
I only recognize the Hedges Skull as being "legit", if you could call it that.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.