Author Topic: Oscar Wilde ranting again  (Read 417 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Oscar Wilde ranting again
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:17:53 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6411343

Oh my.

The large-proboscised primitive, Oscar Wilde:

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)        Fri Aug-28-09 02:06 PM
Original message

Cape Kennedy, Cape Canaveral and rednecks

Whatever is named after Ted Kennedy, don’t hold your breath for the name to stick.

Jack Kennedy challenged us to get to the moon within ten years and we did it in eight. In 1963, the name Cape Canaveral was changed to Cape Kennedy.

In 1973, the Florida legislature, backed by every redneck in the region, officially dumped Cape Kennedy and changed the name back to Cape Canaveral. Just how much of a miserable prick do you have to be to do something like that?

Do you suppose that when the thugs regain power, they’ll add Dubys’s face to Mr. Rushmore?

Yeah, probably we will, because that'd be a good idea.

Resuscitated Ethics (309 posts)        Fri Aug-28-09 02:11 PM
Response to Original message

2. what about Washington National Airport?

MONTHS after the cretin left office, the air traffic controllers firings still fresh, changed to "Reagan national"?

It's still "national" to me.

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)        Fri Aug-28-09 02:19 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. Whenever possible, I avoid flying into or out of "National." It's cursed.

After which a flurry of primitive bibble-babble about that airport.

Dennis Donovan  (1000+ posts)        Fri Aug-28-09 02:32 PM

4. Well, in all fairness, FDR changed the name of Hoover Dam to Boulder Dam...

...because he and SecInt Harold Ickes (yes, THAT Harold Ickes' father) HATED Hoover with every fibre of their being... After FDR and Ickes were out of government, the name was changed back to Hoover Dam.

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)        Fri Aug-28-09 02:46 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. Okay. So when do we get to restore the name Cape Kennedy?

When "Beijing" becomes "Peking" again.

onenote  (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-28-09 03:05 PM
Response to Reply #7

13. never going to happen

Even Jackie acknowledged that it was a mistake to rename not just the Space Center, but the entire Cape, which had been named "Canaveral" for nearly 400 years.

Then more primitive bibble-babble about the Hoover-Roosevelt feud, displaying their usual standard customary ignorance of history.

onenote  (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-28-09 02:52 PM

6. a little history: 

Cape Canaveral -- the entire Cape, not just the space center built there -- was named by the Spanish in the 1500s. Had the only thing that was renamed for President Kennedy been the space center, there would have been little or no controversy. But not only the facilty's name was changed, but the place itself was re-named, which did not go over well with a lot of long time residents who felt that a name that had been around for over 300 years shouldn't be changed. So eventually, they pushed to get the name of the place back to Cape Canaveral, while the Space Center continues to be named for JFK. Even Jackie acknowledged that was the right result.

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)        Fri Aug-28-09 03:02 PM
Response to Reply #6

12. I personnally believe we should change the name Texas back to tejas and hand it over to the local Indians who were the original owners for countless centuries.

And franksolich personally believes Oscar Wilde should go back to his own homeland, the New York City metropolitan area, leaving Florida and Floridians in peace and quiet.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: Oscar Wilde ranting again
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:25:25 PM »
George Bush Space Center- Houston anyone?

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:19:25 PM »
Coach, I'm with ya on this, because with the Obozo's track record on dealing with terrorists, NYC is likely to end up in a radioactive cloud.  (As long as the big-beaked primitive is there when it's nuked.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
And franksolich personally believes Oscar Wilde should go back to his own homeland, the New York City metropolitan area, leaving Florida and Floridians in peace and quiet.

I've seen what we bought...I want my @#$%ing beads back.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:43:27 PM »
I've seen what we bought...I want my @#$%ing beads back.

Wonder how long before the butterball DUmmy Li'l Ava will have that opinion of New York.