Author Topic: primitives discuss barbeque sauce  (Read 548 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss barbeque sauce
« on: August 28, 2009, 11:24:58 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x68269

Oh my.

InternalDialogue  (1000+ posts)        Thu Aug-27-09 01:53 PM
Original message

Homemade barbecue sauce question

So I've got a barbecue sauce recipe I've tried twice, after liking the flavor the first time I made it. I've got no issue with the taste, but I'm looking for input on texture.

The first time I made it, I cooked it down to what seemed like the right volume. The flavors had concentrated and become wonderful, but the sauce was still thin. Not soupy thin, but like a gravy thin. In other words, it wasn't going to stick to or coat anything that wasn't perfectly flat.

The second time I made it, I cooked it down further. The flavors tasted the same to me, but I let it simmer until it actually started to thicken to the point of being more like ketchup. When I dipped a spoon into it to taste, it didn't run off the spoon as quickly, and it actually had some "stick" to it.

I didn't notice a difference in taste from batch to batch, but I know that the thicker sauce would have benefits if I were coating something to broil or grill.

My question: Are there advantages to having a thinner sauce? On the other hand, do I risk ruining anything by cooking it longer -- are there going to be undesirable changes with a sauce that has gone from saucy to thick? (And there are no ingredients in the sauce that are there to act like thickeners, just cooking the liquid out of it far enough.)

There the primitives go again, making life more difficult than it has to be.

franksolich goes to the grocery store and buys a bottle of Heinz 57.

No muss, no fuss, less time, less trouble, cleaner, less expense.

AwakeAtLast  (1000+ posts)        Thu Aug-27-09 09:36 PM
Response to Original message

1. The only thing I can think of

Would be how you are going to use it.

If you are basting as you go, I would think you would want a little thinner sauce that will thicken on top of what you are putting it on. If its really thick, I think it could dry out the meat a little as it cooked. As long as both taste good I would use either! Just my $.02!

InternalDialogue  (1000+ posts)        Fri Aug-28-09 09:58 AM
Response to Reply #1

3. I think it's nice I discovered that it can be cooked to more than one state of thickness.

I've got the current thicker batch jarred, so I should probably mark it as such. I could make another thin batch and mark it for marinade.

The Gloria Swanson primitive:

Tangerine LaBamba  (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-28-09 12:02 AM
Response to Original message

2. I'd use it as a marinade - that's one way to capitalize on the thinness of the liquid.

I'd cook it down more, until I got the thickness I wanted. Keep an eye on it - I bet it works out just fine.

InternalDialogue  (1000+ posts)        Fri Aug-28-09 10:00 AM
Response to Reply #2

4. So far so good. 

I had it over some leftover roast pork last night, and it held together very well as a thick sauce.

As I mentioned above to AwakeAtLast, I think I'm going to keep at least a jar of each, marked as to which way I prepared it. That way I've got a marinade or a finished sauce ready to go.

Man, I'm starting to think the cooking and baking primitives are anal, with their obsession of going through so much time and trouble, when the solutions are sitting on the shelves of their local grocery stores.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: primitives discuss barbeque sauce
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 11:32:04 AM »
Primitives can't even get their politics right.  For what reason would I have to believe they would have any clue about how to make something as important as good homemade BBQ sauce?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »
Dear DUmmies--might I suggest you reach the perfect consistency each and every time by adding a few chunks of fiberglass to your next batch?

And dry rub beforehand, baste with apple juice while cooking at VERY low (230-250 degrees) temperature for 4-5 hours, then wet for the last 30 mintues. 

Don't you idiot primitives know ANYTHING?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 12:49:58 PM »
I think I'm going to keep at least a jar of each, marked as to which way I prepared it.

And I'm going to sort my bullion cubes tonight (it's Friday night) according to beef, chicken, and vegetable, and put them in little jars, and then get out my label maker and make up some labels for them.  While I'm at it, I should organize all my spices.  Do you think I should stick to alphabetical, or group them according to "savory", "Italian, "sweet", "Asian" and the like?????   

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
And I'm going to sort my bullion cubes tonight (it's Friday night) according to beef, chicken, and vegetable, and put them in little jars, and then get out my label maker and make up some labels for them.  While I'm at it, I should organize all my spices.  Do you think I should stick to alphabetical, or group them according to "savory", "Italian, "sweet", "Asian" and the like?????   

I'd suggest you hit yourself in the head with a hammer until you don't have those thoughts anymore.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 01:14:48 PM »
While I'm at it, I should organize all my spices.  Do you think I should stick to alphabetical, or group them according to "savory", "Italian, "sweet", "Asian" and the like????? 

You should definitely organize spices by "savory", "Italian", "sweet", and "Asian". If you go alphabeticallly, they will all fall under "S".

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 02:29:33 PM »
You should definitely organize spices by "savory", "Italian", "sweet", and "Asian". If you go alphabeticallly, they will all fall under "S".

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

better draw a picture....they won't understand otherwise....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Karin

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »
Sparky, you do know I was joking, don't you?  This is what I'm doing tonight:

:beer:     +      :cheersmate:      +       :fuelfire: