Author Topic: Raw Story: "BREAKING: UNEMPLOYMENT RISES TO 5.1%: DEVELOPING..."  (Read 3451 times)

Online Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Dumbass IDJITS

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3104178

Amerigo Vespucci  (1000+ posts)       Fri Apr-04-08 08:45 AM
Original message
Raw Story: "BREAKING: UNEMPLOYMENT RISES TO 5.1%: DEVELOPING..."
 No story yet.

"All caps" courtesy of Raw Story...I copied and pasted:

http://www.rawstory.com/

Hmmm.................the primitives claim we scream tera, tera, tera...............I say the dumbass idjit primitives scream recession, recession, recession........ :bird:

Delphinus  (1000+ posts)      Fri Apr-04-08 08:46 AM
Response to Original message
1. It's not just the unemployed,
 it's the UNDERemployed and all the unemployed who've given up looking.

I have never given up looking for employment. You idjits that leave the basement and cheeto dust can't demand a 100k starting in a scientist position with a womans studies degree. I personally have been unemployed right now for six months, yet I start work on Wednesday making close to what I want, while still waiting for the job I want to contact me. Yet I have faith in our economy, I have been underpaid and my job field is full of people that are underpaid and also full of people with the required skills and knowledge that miss the real good jobs because of not having degrees...............(I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO..............GET YOUR DAMN COLLEGE DEGREE AND MORE DOORS OPEN)...............enough about me, let's get back on the idjit primitives

chat_noir (1000+ posts)      Fri Apr-04-08 08:48 AM
2. Employers Chopped 80,000 Jobs Last Month; Unemployment Rate Rose to 5.1 Percent
 WASHINGTON (AP) -- Employers worried about recession slashed 80,000 jobs in March, the most in five years and the third straight month of losses.

At the same time, the national unemployment rate rose from 4.8 percent to 5.1 percent, the clearest signal yet that the economy might already be contracting. The new snapshot of the job market, released by the Labor Department Friday, underscored the damage that a trio of crises --in the housing, credit and financial sectors -- has inflicted on companies, jobseekers and the economy as a whole.

The unemployment rate was the highest since September 2005, when significant job losses followed the devastating blows of Gulf Coast hurricanes.

Job losses were widespread in March. Construction, manufacturing, retailing, financial services and various business services all racked up losses. That overwhelmed gains elsewhere, including in education and health care, leisure and hospitality as well as in government.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080404/economy.html

Laura PackYourBags (1000+ posts)       Fri Apr-04-08 08:50 AM
3. Wow, and they expect it to only rise slightly. Sad news for so many !

madrchsod  (1000+ posts)       Fri Apr-04-08 08:56 AM
4. 5.1%....who are they kidding
 it`s a lot higher than that. remember the bushbots changed the formula years ago...

:bird: :thatsright: :bird: IDJITS
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline VivisMom

Re: Raw Story: "BREAKING: UNEMPLOYMENT RISES TO 5.1%: DEVELOPING..."
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 08:55:02 AM »
The problem is that they want to start AT THE TOP. They don't see the need to work their way up to the top.  :whatever:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »
The problem is that they want to start AT THE TOP. They don't see the need to work their way up to the top.  :whatever:

But . . . but . . . they're smarter than all us Bushbots! /DU

That's what they think . . .

Yeah . . . riiiiiiight. :mental:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »
Notice how they revel in such news? They want doom and gloom. They thrive on it. They disgust me.

They do not realize that a downturn in the economy is a) expected from time to time because of it's cyclical nature b) consumer confidence matters and evening news anchors who run stories about an "impending recession" help make it true c) we are all affected - that means the DUmmies too.

Idjits.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »
My google skills are not proving good.

Can anyone post in the treasury here--where we keep all the political ammunition for later use--the unemployment statistics for February 1993 through this current one?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 09:43:58 AM »

That's right, I forgot. My bad!  :thatsright:

Whatever. My cat horks up more intelligent things than the DUmpsters.  

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 09:46:01 AM »

Can anyone post in the treasury here--where we keep all the political ammunition for later use--the unemployment statistics for February 1993 through this current one?

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_over.htm#available

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »
What they fail to realize is this.

Unemployment rate..... 5.1%

Percentage of people who just will not work...... about 4.5%

Real life unemployment rate..... around .6%

just my take on the situation.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:31:35 AM »
My cousin's idiot husband thinks he should be CEO of a billion dollar company.  He works part time as a delivery boy yet had the balls to walk into a huge retail place and put in for store manager.  He was SHOCKED when they turned him down. :thatsright: 
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 12:35:09 PM »

That's right, I forgot. My bad!  :thatsright:

Whatever. My cat horks up more intelligent things than the DUmpsters.  

H5!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »
5.1%? We got a ways to go to match France and Germany. The soup lines must be really long there!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_unemployment_rate
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 01:32:09 PM »
5.1%? We got a ways to go to match France and Germany. The soup lines must be really long there!

Really!

France is at 8%

The EU, as a whole, is at 8.5%

Germany is at 9%

Chase her.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 01:57:19 PM »
Quote from: Delphinus
It's not just the unemployed, it's the UNDERemployed and all the unemployed who've given up looking.

Same circumstances, Dem in office, the above would never be mentioned nor would they even consider it to be true.  Too predictable.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »

Really!

France is at 8%

The EU, as a whole, is at 8.5%

Germany is at 9%

I should look this up but I thought France was along 14%? but they do count all those rioting teenagers who wont work cause they dont want to give up radical islam.. or something like that.

around this area, they have starting wages at 12 to 14 dollars an hour just to get the teenagers .. if we're around 5%, that's damn good for a country our size.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 05:46:10 PM »
i think they are throwing in teens into the mix to inflate the numbers in the Raw Story article.. per usual.

Teens Have Higher Unemployment Rates, but Less So in Germany
Worldwide, the unemployment rate for teenagers is generally higher than the unemployment rate for adults. In Germany, however, teens may have relatively better luck landing a job. German teenagers have among the lowest unemployment rates in Europe. This partly is due to an apprenticeship system that provides employment and training for young persons. Compared to other countries around the world, the gap between the adult and teenage unemployment rates in Germany is strikingly small.

http://www.bls.gov/spotlight/

there is a chart and everything.  :popcorn:

there is another chart on that page that shows the US is still manufacturing stuff! woohoo! i thought that was all over with..  :-)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 08:26:26 PM »
Hey DUmmies...suck on this:

Find one of your intelligent Republican relatives to explain this to you if it seems confusing.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 09:36:21 PM »
I was never big on economics, taking only a simple survey course on it in college. But I distinctly remember my prof say that around 5% is the ideal, with a higher rate bad for obvious reasons and a lower rate fueling inflation or something like that.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 08:25:44 AM »
I was never big on economics, taking only a simple survey course on it in college. But I distinctly remember my prof say that around 5% is the ideal, with a higher rate bad for obvious reasons and a lower rate fueling inflation or something like that.

I taught econ. :)

5% is ideal because it basically means that everyone who wants to be working is. Maybe not at their ideal job, but they have a job. If the unemployment rate goes below that, it means that people have more cash to spend, which means the Fed has to find a way to take cash out of circulation to prevent inflation-so interest rates go up. In other words, there is more money than goods/services available, and the price of things increases. Supply low, demand high. Too much money makes the money worth less.

When the unemployment rate is over 5%, it means that there isn't enough cash in circulation, so the Fed has to find a way to get more cash circulating in the economy to keep it stable. There are more goods/services than there are buyers, which means you have an excess of supply. In order to keep cash in the economy and keep the supply and demand at equilibrium, the Fed will do things to increase the amount of disposable cash people have-lowering interest rates is the best example. In this case, supply is high, but demand is low.

It's all supply and demand.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 09:02:16 AM »
You can also think of it as under 4% is "Labor shortage" and the price of labor rises which is the inflationary pressure; over 6% and there is a "Labor surplus" and recessionary as there is a deflationary effect on wages which starts to ripple through everything else as the rate goes above that.
I could be all wet on this, but I dimly remember seeing a cartoon in the paper when I was a little kid back around the time of the "Idyllic" Camelot years complaining about an unemployment rate that was over 6%.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »
Thanks for explaining^^^

I knew that's how it worked but you guys did a great job of explaining it.

Bet that is over the DUmmies' heads.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Online Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
Thanks for explaining^^^

I knew that's how it worked but you guys did a great job of explaining it.

Bet that is over the DUmmies' heads.

Eco <<-----------that's over the primitives head on anything dealing with economics
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 12:20:59 PM »
While recent negative effects of the sub-prime mortgage market suggest that US economic growth should be moderate in 2008, analysts believe this will not affect the "economic expansion of the U.S. economy in the medium-term."

Overall, US trade has increased in recent years and has contributed significantly to its economic growth. Due to its open trade policy, the US economy enjoys healthy foreign investment activity: "The Unites States is also the largest host to foreign investment in the world."

It is also a major investor in the global economy. In 2006, for example, US outflows of foreign direct investment to Europe and Asia Pacific were twice as high as they were just six years earlier.

Out of the total of nine bilateral and regional trade agreements in action in 2007, most of the agreements entered into force in the mid-2000s. Explains the report, "The positive complementary effects of FTA on the exports of United States is clearly indicated in the increasing trend of exports to FTA completed countries."

The United States has made steady progress in trade liberalization to achieve the Bogor Goals. "In fact, the United States maintains very low tariff and non-tariff barriers," say analysts. "The US regime in trade in services is one of the most open regimes in the world."

http://www.apec.org/apec/news___media/media_releases/010308_pe_usiap.html

The United States will always be the economy that the world looks to as the strongest to invest in.  Why?  capitalism.   

The economy is on a downturn and will adjust soon.   Spoiled Americans who exist on instant news never see the forest through the trees.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 12:22:48 PM by formerlurker »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 01:46:46 PM »

Unemployement during the Clinton Administration peaked in 1993 and 1994 at 6.9 and 6.1 percent.  The highest unemployment rates during the Bush administration occurred in 2002 and 2003 at 5.9 and 6.1 percent.  The highest unemployment rates under Clinton were during 15 consecutive months between 1993-1994 of 6.5 - 7.2 percent.  Meanwhile, the highest unemployment rates under the Bush administration ranged from 5.9 - 6.4 over a non-consecutive 15 month period between 2001 and 2002.

The lowest unemployment under the Clinton administration was 3.7 during April of 2000, while the lowest unemployment rate under Bush was 4.1 during three consecutive months in 2001.

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
1993 7.1 7.1 7.0 7.0 7.1 7.0 6.9 6.8 6.6 6.7 6.5 6.5   
1994 6.7 6.7 6.6 6.4 6.1 6.1 6.1 6.0 5.9 5.8 5.6 5.3   
1995 5.4 5.3 5.3 5.7 5.6 5.5 5.5 5.6 5.5 5.4 5.5 5.5   
1996 5.6 5.4 5.4 5.5 5.5 5.2 5.3 5.0 5.1 5.1 5.3 5.2   
1997 5.2 5.1 5.1 4.9 4.8 4.9 4.8 4.7 4.7 4.6 4.4 4.6   
1998 4.4 4.5 4.5 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.4 4.3 4.4 4.3 4.2 4.2   
1999 4.1 4.3 4.0 4.2 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.1 4.0 4.0 3.9 3.9   
2000 3.9 3.9 3.8 3.7 3.9 3.8 3.8 4.0 3.8 3.8 3.8 3.8   
2001 4.1 4.1 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.8 5.0 5.3 5.5 5.8   
2002 5.8 5.9 5.8 6.1 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.8 5.7 5.8 6.0 6.1   
2003 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.2 6.2 6.4 6.3 6.2 6.1 6.1 6.0 5.8   
2004 5.7 5.6 5.8 5.6 5.7 5.6 5.6 5.4 5.5 5.5 5.4 5.4   
2005 5.2 5.3 5.1 5.1 5.0 5.0 4.9 4.9 5.0 4.9 4.9 4.7   
2006 4.7 4.7 4.6 4.7 4.5 4.5 4.6 4.6 4.4 4.3 4.4 4.4   
2007 4.5 4.4 4.4 4.4 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.6 4.7 4.7 4.6 4.9   
2008 4.8 4.8 5.0
http://www.bls.gov/webapps/legacy/cpsatab7.htm  (Seasonally-adjusted unemployement rate for all full-time workers)

Save the table to a text file and import it to Excel as a space-delimited text file. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 01:51:15 PM »
The United States will always be the economy that the world looks to as the strongest to invest in.  Why?  capitalism.   

The economy is on a downturn and will adjust soon.   Spoiled Americans who exist on instant news never see the forest through the trees.

The unemployment rate fluctuates.  Trying to force it down artificially is pointless.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.