Author Topic: What If Democrats Used Winner Take All?  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
What If Democrats Used Winner Take All?
« on: April 03, 2008, 09:53:14 PM »
goldcanyonaz  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-03-08 02:42 PM
Original message

Even as the Obama and Clinton campaigns fight frantically to establish the appropriate yard-stick by which to judge the will of the American people, one fact has been largely ignored: Obama's significant delegate lead is largely a product of the Democrats' unique delegate allocation system.

A remnant of the bitter convention of 1968 and the McGovern-Fraser Commission that followed, Democrats now award their presidential convention representatives in a proportional manner, under which delegates are given to all those surpassing certain percentage thresholds. We have to wonder, what would the race look like if the Democrats used the same "winner-take-all" system used in the Republican Party? The results are quite surprising, to say the least.

If the Democrats were to allot their current state delegate totals in a winner-take-all format, Clinton would actually have a significant delegate advantage. Despite having won only 14 recognized contests to Obama's 30, Clinton would currently have a 120 (1738 to 1618) total delegate lead and a remarkable 167 (1427 to 1260) pledged delegate lead. These numbers give Texas' "prima-caucus" delegates to Clinton and do not include Florida, Michigan or the 693 total delegates and 566 pledged delegates still to be won in the next few months.

Rasmussen link

DU LINKY!!

this is going well.  predictably, the thread is flooded with responses like, "what if cows had balls", and "what if my sister was my brother".  I'm not sure I would have asked that last question at DU, but it's out there nonetheless. :rotf: :rotf: :-)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 09:54:49 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Lauri

Re: What If Democrats Used Winner Take All?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »
go Hilary!!! steal it! you can do it.... you go girl! :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:18:10 PM »
Original message

Even as the Obama and Clinton campaigns fight frantically to establish the appropriate yard-stick by which to judge the will of the American people, one fact has been largely ignored: Obama's significant delegate lead is largely a product of the Democrats' unique delegate allocation system.

A remnant of the bitter convention of 1968 and the McGovern-Fraser Commission that followed, Democrats now award their presidential convention representatives in a proportional manner, under which delegates are given to all those surpassing certain percentage thresholds. We have to wonder, what would the race look like if the Democrats used the same "winner-take-all" system used in the Republican Party? The results are quite surprising, to say the least.

If the Democrats were to allot their current state delegate totals in a winner-take-all format, Clinton would actually have a significant delegate advantage. Despite having won only 14 recognized contests to Obama's 30, Clinton would currently have a 120 (1738 to 1618) total delegate lead and a remarkable 167 (1427 to 1260) pledged delegate lead. These numbers give Texas' "prima-caucus" delegates to Clinton and do not include Florida, Michigan or the 693 total delegates and 566 pledged delegates still to be won in the next few months.

Rasmussen link

DU LINKY!!

this is going well.  predictably, the thread is flooded with responses like, "what if cows had balls", and "what if my sister was my brother".  I'm not sure I would have asked that last question at DU, but it's out there nonetheless. :rotf: :rotf: :-)

Yes, I guess the answer would be "you would be butt-****ing your brother."

These people are nuts.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Original message

Rasmussen link

DU LINKY!!

Yes, I guess the answer would be "you would be butt-****ing your brother."

These people are nuts.

yes, that would be the quick answer.:rofl:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:23:08 PM »
go Hilary!!! steal it! you can do it.... you go girl! :-)

you knew this was inevitable . . . :-)

PA Democrat  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-03-08 03:11 PM
Response to Original message
29. It would be less democratic, which is my objection to the Electoral College system.

Of course George Bush just LOVED the undemocratic Electoral College system because it made it much easier to STEAL the 2000 election.

of course, the electoral college is designed to fulfill the first requirement of any election;  a clear winner.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:30:02 PM »
so, in a thread titled "winner take all - good idea or not" these idiots still dont get the electoral college?

that is so awesome :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:39:39 PM »
BlooInBloo  (1000+ posts)       Thu Apr-03-08 04:10 PM
41. HAHAHAHA!! The new Clinton supporter tactic: HYPOTHETICAL winning = winning!
GENIUS!
:rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 10:40:37 PM »
tekisui  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-03-08 04:23 PM
43. If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Obama would have run a winning campaign. It would have been a little different, but he does his homework, organizes and wins whatever the parameters.

you better check.  I'll bet your aunt is already your uncle. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 10:44:59 PM »
so, in a thread titled "winner take all - good idea or not" these idiots still dont get the electoral college?

all they know is that it was a bad thingy in 2000.  their blame fell, in order of hysteria, on bush, the supreme court, diebold, the entire state of florida, and the electoral college.  bill clinton's bent winkie amazingly escaped any responsibility at all at the time. :rotf:

(I guess that's not entirely unusual, though :-))

Offline Lauri

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »

all they know is that it was a bad thingy in 2000.  their blame fell, in order of hysteria, on bush, the supreme court, diebold, the entire state of florida, and the electoral college.  bill clinton's bent winkie amazingly escaped any responsibility at all at the time. :rotf:

well, to be fair though.. it wasnt the Clenis that we cared about. it was the *lying* under oath thingie  :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 10:49:45 PM »

well, to be fair though.. it wasnt the Clenis that we cared about. it was the *lying* under oath thingie  :-)

that was only when we wanted to impeach the clenis.  when it came time to elect the vice-clenis or not, then where the clenis had been hanging out became fair game. :-)

Offline Georgia Bulldog

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 11:00:46 PM »
When it comes to some of these idiots, it's clearly obvious that their cockpit is missing a pilot.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile -- hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill
1874-1965, British Statesman, Prime Minister

The Democrats say that the United States has had its days in the sun, that our nation has passed its zenith. My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view.

Ronald Reagan
40th US President, 1911-2004

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 11:03:52 PM »
When it comes to some of these idiots, it's clearly obvious that their cockpit is missing a pilot.

their cockpit is missing just about everything, but yeah, I get your meaning. :-)

Offline Lauri

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 05:26:31 PM »

that was only when we wanted to impeach the clenis.  when it came time to elect the vice-clenis or not, then where the clenis had been hanging out became fair game. :-)

do you think we can use Clenis enough to get it added to Webster's?  :popcorn:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 05:46:53 PM »

do you think we can use Clenis enough to get it added to Webster's?  :popcorn:

you never know.  it's the internets;  if that screwed up kid dancing around with the flashlight
lightsaber can become a cultural icon, maybe we can get "clenis" added to  websters . . . .

we need a formal definition, though. 

clenis (n) klee'.nis

the bent genitalia of a crooked president;   often found hanging around chubby chicks wearing
kneepads, followed immediately by surreptitious discharge into a sink, or onto an ill fitting dress
from the gap.  known to immediately shrivel at the mention of the word "hillary" or "ken starr".

Usage:

"I would be president if it weren't for the f*cking clenis".  (pun probably not intended)
Al Gore, December, 2000

I am open to additional suggestions. :-)

Offline Lauri

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 05:50:22 PM »
dont forget to add that the word comes from the merging of the overuse of "Clinton's Penis" in articles and posts on the internet, which made the Clenis famous all throughout the 90s.

we should send this to Olberman STAT...  :popcorn:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 05:55:26 PM »
dont forget to add that the word comes from the merging of the overuse of "Clinton's Penis" in articles and posts on the internet, which made the Clenis infamous all throughout the 90s.

we should send this to Olberman STAT...  :popcorn:

one slight suggestion to your wise suggestion. :wink:

olbermann . . . *sigh* . . . he was great on sportscenter.  I wish he had stayed there, before he became
the walking incarnation of the "Peter Principle".