Author Topic: Morality. It's not about sex.  (Read 1911 times)

Offline VivisMom

Morality. It's not about sex.
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:09:34 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3098400

AspieGrrl  (1000+ posts)      Thu Apr-03-08 08:40 AM
Original message
 Advertisements [?]Alright, so I'm kind of pissed off lately.

It seems that most of the time people talk about "Morality", they're talking about sex, or more specifically, sex acts they don't like or are uncomfortable with other people doing. You know, premartial sex, gay sex, polyamory, BDSM, selling sex, buying sex, furries, whatever. Things that when done safely, consensually, and honestly, aren't hurting anyone.

My moral philosophy goes like this: Don't be mean. Not even the golden rule, since other people might like having things done unto them that other people may not enjoy. Just don't be mean. Don't hurt people. With sex, as long as it's safe, honest, and consenual, it's fine. I have no idea when what people do in their own bedrooms (or wherever) became the definition of immorality. War? Hunger? Violence? Rape? That's ****ing immoral. Two (or more) consenting adults doing whatever sexually? How is that morally wrong?

I'm going to quote Pierre Trudeau on this one and say that "The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation". And neither do we. So if someone wants to have sex with someone of the same gender, have a three-way, spank someone, lose their virginity before marriage, or even wear a friggin' bunny costume, who the hell are we to tell them what they're doing is icky or immoral or wrong?

Okay, not so bad. But the responses are what really get me.

Triana  (1000+ posts)       Thu Apr-03-08 08:43 AM
Response to Original message
1. 100% agreed. All the flap about sex, sexuality, abortion, etc. is...
 ...a DISTRACTION from the real moral issues we face:

Poverty
Climate Change
Human Rights Abuses

etc.

And it's a DELIBERATE distraction.

I dunno...I'd consider jabbing a sharp object through the base of a skull and vacuuming out the brain to be a human rights violation. But wait! It's an unborn baby! It doesn't count!

patrice  (1000+ posts)       Thu Apr-03-08 08:45 AM
2. It's also not about killing unknown others for " our Freedom". nt

Sure it is! It's called ABORTION. Killing an unknown child so you can go whore yourself out some more, you ignorant slut.  :bird:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
Re: Morality. It's not about sex.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:13:40 AM »

Sure it is! It's called ABORTION. Killing an unknown child so you can go whore yourself out some more, you ignorant slut.  :bird:

Big time high 5's! 

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:19:47 AM »
Great find, VivisMom.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:29:24 AM »
No, liberals like to BELIEVE morality is ONLY about sex. It most certainly is not, although it's far easier to win that argument with them on that topic as long as they support positions that include bailing people out of their free sexual choices via nationalized healthcare and abortion. Abortion and euthanasia are both moral topics and yes, even war is because not all wars are just. Lying, cheating in business dealings, lack of self-control, coveting another person's things(DUmmies, wishing for the demise of the 'rich' would fall into this category :naughty:)etc--all moral issues. In fact it is hard to escape any situation where a call of judgement is made that morality of one kind or another does not figure in. Liberals, and even some conservatives, are the ones who focus heavily on this particular area and probably because the sexual has held fascination for human beings since the beginning of the time, but it certainly is not the be all and end all of morality.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 08:31:07 AM by jtyangel »

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 08:33:12 AM »
Maybe someone ought to apply the seven deadly sins to Skins Island and see how fast all of them can get broken.

My guess is before the OP in that thread gets banned.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 08:41:23 AM »
No, liberals like to BELIEVE morality is ONLY about sex. It most certainly is not, although it's far easier to win that argument with them on that topic as long as they support positions that include bailing people out of their free sexual choices via nationalized healthcare and abortion. Abortion and euthanasia are both moral topics and yes, even war is because not all wars are just. Lying, cheating in business dealings, lack of self-control, coveting another person's things(DUmmies, wishing for the demise of the 'rich' would fall into this category :naughty:)etc--all moral issues. In fact it is hard to escape any situation where a call of judgement is made that morality of one kind or another does not figure in. Liberals, and even some conservatives, are the ones who focus heavily on this particular area and probably because the sexual has held fascination for human beings since the beginning of the time, but it certainly is not the be all and end all of morality.

That's what really gets me. These people-who advocate for the killing of unborn children, who support lawmakers who have committed murder(Kennedy) and adultery (Spitzer) and other felonies (Marion Barry anyone?), are lecturing on morality? The hubris of these people is unbelievable.

Thanks for the compliment, Frank. I'm honored.  :shucks:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 08:46:52 AM »

That's what really gets me. These people-who advocate for the killing of unborn children, who support lawmakers who have committed murder(Kennedy) and adultery (Spitzer) and other felonies (Marion Barry anyone?), are lecturing on morality? The hubris of these people is unbelievable.

Thanks for the compliment, Frank. I'm honored.  :shucks:

Well the sexually related topics are their sacred cow. Quite frankly I think some of that blame lies with our ancestors who put a particularly narrow focus on such things too at one time--Victorian morality if you will. Culture is still climbing out of that way of thinking to understand that nearly everything is life revolves around the moral(or immoral choices) of others. The really interesting irony is that many liberals are stuck in the same rut of thinking on this issue that they accuse other people of pigeon holing their choices into. Despite their best hopes, they still can't escape the trappings in thinking, right or wrong, of the culture in which they were raised. I always find that a little bit humorous.  :hyper:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 02:56:08 PM »

Big time high 5's! 

Ditto!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 03:41:41 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3098400

AspieGrrl  (1000+ posts)      Thu Apr-03-08 08:40 AM
Original message
 Advertisements [?]Alright, so I'm kind of pissed off lately.

It seems that most of the time people talk about "Morality", they're talking about sex, or more specifically, sex acts they don't like or are uncomfortable with other people doing. You know, premartial sex, gay sex, polyamory, BDSM, selling sex, buying sex, furries, whatever. Things that when done safely, consensually, and honestly, aren't hurting anyone.

My moral philosophy goes like this: Don't be mean. Not even the golden rule, since other people might like having things done unto them that other people may not enjoy. Just don't be mean. Don't hurt people. With sex, as long as it's safe, honest, and consenual, it's fine. I have no idea when what people do in their own bedrooms (or wherever) became the definition of immorality. War? Hunger? Violence? Rape? That's ******* immoral. Two (or more) consenting adults doing whatever sexually? How is that morally wrong?

I'm going to quote Pierre Trudeau on this one and say that "The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation". And neither do we. So if someone wants to have sex with someone of the same gender, have a three-way, spank someone, lose their virginity before marriage, or even wear a friggin' bunny costume, who the hell are we to tell them what they're doing is icky or immoral or wrong?

They lie when they say that isn't the reeason they want abortion so bad. The only reason its even needed is for the health of the baby or mother and in cases of rape and incest.

Okay, not so bad. But the responses are what really get me.

Poverty
Climate Change
Human Rights Abuses

etc.

I dunno...I'd consider jabbing a sharp object through the base of a skull and vacuuming out the brain to be a human rights violation. But wait! It's an unborn baby! It doesn't count!

MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 06:36:34 PM »
Having no morals liberals need to attack anyone and everyone who ever espoused morals and fell short.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 06:48:11 PM »
Morals are another impediment to their dreams of utopian Marxism.

The concept that we are not amoral animals but that there is the reality of evil and good flies in the face of their goal of a mindless humanity all equal and subservient to those outside the system....them.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 07:15:52 PM »

Poverty
Climate Change
Human Rights Abuses

etc.

A distraction by whom?

I rarely see sex dicussed in the MSM anymore as a moral issue. Most often, it's a political issue. DUmmies are always holding forth about one "distraction" or another. They must have incredibly short attention spans.

"Oh look, a shiny object! Um, what was I talking about?"

I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself