Author Topic: Does this guy have ANY non-homophobic Religious Supporters???  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=221x69917

Tyler Durden  (1000+ posts)       Tue Apr-01-08 02:01 PM
Original message
Does this guy have ANY non-homophobic Religious Supporters???
 http://gaywired.com/article.cfm?section=163&id=18614

Barack Obama’s Latest Pastor Problem: Anti-Gay Rev. James T. Meeks

Article Date: 03/31/2008

By Duane Wells

Just as the dust surrounding Sen. Barack Obama’s long-term association with controversial minister Rev. Jeremiah Wright has begun to settle comes new reports of the democratic presidential hopeful’s connection to another racially divisive public figure—the stridently homophobic Rev. James T. Meeks, an Illinois state senator who also serves as the pastor of Chicago’s 22,000 member strong Salem Baptist Church.

Described in a 2004 Chicago Sun Times article as someone Barack Obama regularly seeks out for “spiritual counsel”, James Meeks, who will serve as an Obama delegate at the 2008 Democratic convention in Denver, is a long-time political ally to the democratic frontrunner.

(snip)

A spring 2007 newsletter from the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) named Meeks one of the "10 leading black religious voices in the anti-gay movement". The newsletter cites him as both “a key member of Chicago's ‘Gatekeepers’ network, an interracial group of evangelical ministers who strive to erase the division between church and state” and “a stalwart anti-gay activist… … has used his House of Hope mega-church to launch petition drives for the Illinois Family Institute (IFI), a major state-level ‘family values’ pressure group that lauded him last year for leading African Americans in ‘clearly understanding the threat of gay marriage.'”

(snip)

On a more personal level, Meeks has reportedly blamed "Hollywood Jews for bringing us Brokeback Mountain" and actively campaigned to defeat SB3186, an Illinois LGBT non-discrimination bill, while serving in the Illinois state legislature alongside Obama. According to a 2006 Chicago Sun Times article, his church sponsored a "Halloween fright night" which "consigned to the flames of hell two mincing young men wearing body glitter who were supposed to be homosexuals."

(snip)

I mean, COME ON, PEOPLE. This Candidate is looking more and more like a closet homophobe than anything else. Either he IS NOT a bigot and repudiates these people...ALL OF THEM...or he IS a bigot and holds their views.

Does anyone else see a third way on this?

â€œAt the narrow passage there is no brother, no friend” Bedouin Proverb// “The world shall not be this way within the reach of my arm.” From Hannibal by Thomas A. Harris// ”The rich have a very long and strong arm.” Edward Rhodes, a very smart man and my friend
 Alert | Hide Thread | Recommend (2 votes) Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

DU9598 (1000+ posts)      Tue Apr-01-08 02:12 PM
Response to Original message
3. Pretty serious charge
 I am gay, but one of my best friends is a devout christian who continually spouts off about the sanctity of marriage. I love her and we have been long time friends. I tolerate her religious beliefs and I challenge her. She tolerates my sexuality and challenges me. But, we have so many beliefs and friends and joys in life in common that I cannot toss her aside because she is wrong in her belief on gay rights.

Am I too, as a gay man, a closet homophobe?
"The President has a lot of credibility when he pleads ignorance." Howard Fineman MSNBC "Countdown" with Keith Olbermann Feb.22, 2006
 Alert Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

And that is the difference between a gay man and a faggott.

And now for the money shot.......

blm  (1000+ posts)     Tue Apr-01-08 02:17 PM
4. Has it occurred to any of you that this 'problem' is the result of nearly 2 decades of
 intense targeting of black churches by GOP and RW propagandists with NO REBUTTAL or attempts at countering the propaganda by a Democratic party too intent on currying favor with big business and the center right voters?

Imagine the progress if we had a Dem party who was led the last 15 years by leaders who sought to counter the progress of the RW propagandists instead of giving in to them on the issue whenever it would come up - like Don't Ask Don't Tell and DOMA.

Imagine if we had a Dem party led the last 15 years by someone more willing to EDUCATE instead of rolling over to the propagandists.

What we have now is what the GOP propagandists built while Clinton and his leadership of the Dem party since 1993 helped them by looking the other way or rolling over - whichever move would assure no political capital of Clinton's was spent.
"Somebody posts factually inaccurate information? The answer is simple: Post a response and set the record straight." Skinner, 5-8-2007
 Alert Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

:mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
Re: Does this guy have ANY non-homophobic Religious Supporters???
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
blm  (1000+ posts)     Tue Apr-01-08 02:17 PM
4. Has it occurred to any of you that this 'problem' is the result of nearly 2 decades of
 intense targeting of black churches by GOP and RW propagandists with NO REBUTTAL or attempts at countering the propaganda by a Democratic party too intent on currying favor with big business and the center right voters?

Imagine the progress if we had a Dem party who was led the last 15 years by leaders who sought to counter the progress of the RW propagandists instead of giving in to them on the issue whenever it would come up - like Don't Ask Don't Tell and DOMA.

Imagine if we had a Dem party led the last 15 years by someone more willing to EDUCATE instead of rolling over to the propagandists.

So their church's position on homosexuality comes not from deeply-held spiritual beliefs rooted in the Bible, but is instead a product of being brainwashed by the VRWC? All you have to do is "EDUCATE" the poor dumb nigras, right?

*scratches head**shuffles feet* "Thank ya Mistuh Librul. Thank ya Massah. We's dint know that. Thank ya.":sarcasm:
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 07:34:25 PM »
Uh, DUmmies have a lot in common with Fred Phelps and Jeremiah Wright. It's fun to watch DUmmies rip each other.  :evillaugh:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:08:02 PM »
and yet, the leftists 'tards have NO PROBLEMS with radical islam, which, as practiced in Iran still HANGS gays.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:37:58 AM »
Can you say, Cognitive Dissonance?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 10:20:53 AM »
Can you say, Cognitive Dissonance?

Nah, not really.  :lmao:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 10:53:14 AM »
Hey, DUmmies:

No matter how accepting they seem on the outside, all normal people are repulsed by homosexuals.  It's just a fact of life.  It the homo's cross to bear.

You can legislate and zero tolerance all you want, and you may even get the desired results - on the surface, but underneath the phony veneer will still be the repulsion and disgust.   

There will never come a day when normal people will think homosexuals are just another race of people to be thought of as equals.  It ain't NEVER gonna happen.  So whatever does come from the "gay agenda", it will all be a lie.  The homos may conquer the veneer, but they will never own the structure.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 11:00:01 AM »
^exactly!!! It's a defect. It's not how we were intended to behave. Wires are most certainly crossed in gays. I don't hate them, I pity them. I don't think they deserve any special rights either. And I honestly can't think of what rights straight people have that they don't. A same sex couple can live together, buy real estate, make each other their benficiaries, open bank accounts, travel together, use assisted reproduction to have kids, buy insurance, etc...

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 11:01:09 AM »
Hey, DUmmies:

No matter how accepting they seem on the outside, all normal people are repulsed by homosexuals.  It's just a fact of life.  It the homo's cross to bear.

You can legislate and zero tolerance all you want, and you may even get the desired results - on the surface, but underneath the phony veneer will still be the repulsion and disgust.   

There will never come a day when normal people will think homosexuals are just another race of people to be thought of as equals.  It ain't NEVER gonna happen.  So whatever does come from the "gay agenda", it will all be a lie.  The homos may conquer the veneer, but they will never own the structure.
Something about finding a piece of corn or peanut on your willy after sex kinda disgusts us "breeders". :evillaugh:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »
Something about finding a piece of corn or peanut on your willy after sex kinda disgusts us "breeders". :evillaugh:

Ah, yeah  ... that is gross, a butter bean stuck on the end of your dick. 
Body fluids from barebacking  ... yeah, that's gross.
Barebacking and getting AIDS  ... yeah, was a preventable tragedy.
Barebaking while knowing you are HIV positive  ... yeah, I say that's selfish & immoral.
Spreading AIDS to your unsuspecting wife/girlfriend ... again, selfish and immoral.

Nothing good can/or will ever come from the homosexual lifestyle.

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 11:56:16 PM »

Uhm.... Straight people have anal sex too. And sometimes with even worse results.

*Red*
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 12:07:54 AM by RedTail »

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 11:59:53 PM »

Nothing good can/or will ever come from the homosexual lifestyle.

Blanket statement much? Your post is like saying... based on Spring Break decadence/violence, high divorce rates, high abortion rates, men being denied custody rights, and pregnant women being killed by their partners...

nothing good can/will come from the straight lifestyle.

*Red*
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:21:32 PM by RedTail »