Author Topic: DUmmies worried about new climate phenomenon - tentatively called Global Cooling  (Read 1826 times)

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
cobalt1999 (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-01-08 03:47 PM
Original message
Sun Makes History: First Spotless Month in a Century
 Source: DailyTech

Drop in solar activity has potential effect for climate on earth.

The sun has reached a milestone not seen for nearly 100 years: an entire month has passed without a single visible sunspot being noted.

The event is significant as many climatologists now believe solar magnetic activity – which determines the number of sunspots -- is an influencing factor for climate on earth.

According to data from Mount Wilson Observatory, UCLA, more than an entire month has passed without a spot. The last time such an event occurred was June of 1913. Sunspot data has been collected since 1749.

In the past 1000 years, three previous such events -- the Dalton, Maunder, and Spörer Minimums, have all led to rapid cooling. On was large enough to be called a "mini ice age". For a society dependent on agriculture, cold is more damaging than heat. The growing season shortens, yields drop, and the occurrence of crop-destroying frosts increases.

Read more: www.dailytech.com/Sun+Makes+History+First+Spotless+Mont...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this causes a short term cooling of the Earth, then I see a couple of major problems. First, it will provide more ammunition for Anthro-Global Warming skeptics. Second, when the sun spots do reappear combined with the greenhouse gases, think how much the temperature will jump.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=102&topic_id=3464267&mesg_id=3464267

MaineDem  (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-01-08 04:00 PM
Response to Original message
2. This is major
 Very important observations.

L. Coyote  (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-01-08 04:52 PM
10. Oregon Coast blackberries are not ready yet, a month late
 Local gardeners are very unhappy this year.
Commercial chantrelle hunters will be happy early.

sam sarrha  (1000+ posts)       Mon Sep-01-08 05:52 PM
18. they forgot the real consequences.FAMINE, STARVATION.while we turn the food that'd save into alcohol

BrklynLiberal  (1000+ posts)       Mon Sep-01-08 05:33 PM
15. But even if the earth actually cools down a bit, it won't affect the level of pollution in the air..
 and rapid destruction of our breathable atmosphere.

bean fidhleir (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-01-08 05:25 PM
Response to Reply #3
13. You're forgetting that we (homo sapiens) have lived through ice ages
 Even simple technology can deal with too little heat. Dealing with too little heat is MUCH easier than dealing with too much: living creatures are heat engines. We can heat our own living space merely by living, if it's sufficiently insulated. What we can't do is get rid of excess heat. Nobody ever gets "coldstroke" or "cold exhaustion". Local frostbite on long-exposed skin, yes, but we don't suffer systemic collapse from cold the way we do from heat.

I hope they keep up with this new phenomenon, which is evidently CAUSED BY THE SUN, BUT "GLOBAL WARMING" IS UNQUESTIONABLY, UNDENIABLY, CERTAINLY CAUSED BY MAN.

Got that? Global cooling is caused by a fireball in the sky, 93 million miles away. Global warming is caused by George W. Bush.

:whatever:
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Yeah, we control the sun, right? Ya f'n retards?  :whatever:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Got that? Global cooling is caused by a fireball in the sky, 93 million miles away. Global warming is caused by George W. Bush.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:H5! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

But, but...I thought global cooling was caused by global warming, and both are caused by Chimpus Khan?

If the Obamessiah(pbuh) wins the election, god forbid, global warming could be in for a tough time. Remember how the "homeless crisis" evaporated when Clinton took office?

Offline thundley4

I'm still trying to figure  out how man made global warming is melting the ice caps on Mars. Now they want to talk about global colling? I Iz confuzed.  :banghead:

Offline Happy Fun Ball

...points to his signature, and laughs at the DUmmies yet again...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I'm still trying to figure  out how man made global warming is melting the ice caps on Mars. Now they want to talk about global colling? I Iz confuzed.  :banghead:

Rove needed a practice area.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

Nobody ever gets "coldstroke" or "cold exhaustion". Local frostbite on long-exposed skin, yes, but we don't suffer systemic collapse from cold the way we do from heat.

This is one of the stupidest things ever written. 

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Nobody ever gets "coldstroke" or "cold exhaustion". Local frostbite on long-exposed skin, yes, but we don't suffer systemic collapse from cold the way we do from heat.

I read that and shook my head.

Come up here in the middle of November-March if you don`t think cold is all that dangerous.

Only a complete idiot would write such a thing,have they never heard of hypothermia?

Offline thundley4

The DUmmies don't feel the cold as much while sitting in their warm puddles of their own urine.

Offline MrsSmith

I read that and shook my head.

Come up here in the middle of November-March if you don`t think cold is all that dangerous.

Only a complete idiot would write such a thing,have they never heard of hypothermia?
Not to mention the clearly outlined problems with crop growth. 

Not all that long ago, no one had air conditioning...and everyone managed to survive.  What happens to people in non-tropical zones that have no heat?   ::)  I'm amazed that bean has enough brain cells to keep him breathing.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: DUmmies worried about new climate phenomenon - tentatively called Global Coo
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »
Hey DUmmies...1974 called...they want their meme back. :whatever:
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline jinxmchue

If this causes a short term cooling of the Earth, then I see a couple of major problems. First, it will provide more ammunition for Anthro-Global Warming skeptics. Second, when the sun spots do reappear combined with the greenhouse gases, think how much the temperature will jump.

Notice the order here.  The first, most important thing they're concerned about is their stranglehold on their propaganda.  The concern about the environment comes second.  That really, really says a lot.

Offline jukin

Re: DUmmies worried about new climate phenomenon - tentatively called Global Coo
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 09:23:52 PM »
Even simple technology can deal with too little heat. Dealing with too little heat is MUCH easier than dealing with too much: living creatures are heat engines. We can heat our own living space merely by living, if it's sufficiently insulated.

This DUmmy is miles ahead of the engineering minds of the leading people at MIT and CALTEC.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline jinxmchue

Holy crap!  Obviously this person has never even read about what happens to the body during hypothermia.  What a frickin' moron.

Offline BamaMoose

Since the Nobel winners over at DUmmieLand are convinced that the mean temperature of the Earth has jumped 20 to 30 degrees F under Bush, does that mean the GW Bush is more powerful than the Sun????  That is some scary power.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom

I'm about 50 miles inland and I can't keep up! I've got blackberries coming out my ears. I can't pick/sell them fast enough. Today my husband and I picked APPLES...the first of September...earliest we've EVER done this. Just from ONE tree, the rest are right on schedule. Still I thought for sure it was global warming making a very few things ripen a week or so faster than before. Then again, what do I know...could be global cooling. Guess I won't know for sure until next week...that's when I'm killing my meat birds...I'll have to wait until then to read their entrails...it's the ONLY way to know what's really going on.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »

I'm about 50 miles inland and I can't keep up! I've got blackberries coming out my ears. I can't pick/sell them fast enough. Today my husband and I picked APPLES...the first of September...earliest we've EVER done this. Just from ONE tree, the rest are right on schedule. Still I thought for sure it was global warming making a very few things ripen a week or so faster than before. Then again, what do I know...could be global cooling. Guess I won't know for sure until next week...that's when I'm killing my meat birds...I'll have to wait until then to read their entrails...it's the ONLY way to know what's really going on.

Cindie

Could it be that you are using Miracle Grow on your blackberries and they are trying to do the hippy "organinc" method of raising their blackberries?

Would that put them behind other growers?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »
We sent SUV's (rovers) to Mars.   :thatsright:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 12:06:19 PM »
We sent SUV's (rovers) to Mars.   :thatsright:
Yeah, Bush wasn't content to just cause global warming. Now he has to cause Marble warming as well.