Author Topic: Schmaltz  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Schmaltz
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:17:37 AM »
I go through a lot of chicken (mostly thighs since they're cheap) and wind up with a few tablespoons of fat after every batch.  I've been saving it in the refrigerator and have collected about half a pound of the stuff (one 8-oz plastic cup).  This stuff is tasty.  I used it for pan-frying some pork chops this week and they came out great. 

Does anyone else use this stuff?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Schmaltz
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »
I go through a lot of chicken (mostly thighs since they're cheap) and wind up with a few tablespoons of fat after every batch.  I've been saving it in the refrigerator and have collected about half a pound of the stuff (one 8-oz plastic cup).  This stuff is tasty.  I used it for pan-frying some pork chops this week and they came out great. 

Chicken fat?  Nope.  Bacon Fat?  Hell Yeah!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Dori

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »
c
Quote from: Chris_ link=topic=85677.msg1062351#msg1062351 -date=1365092257

Fat is where the flavor is.   :-)  You could also put a dollop in your soups, gravies, rice, sauces etc. to add flavor. 

But, if I were collecting chicken fat, I would keep it in the freezer.  Fat goes rancid after awhile.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »

I use it in the same meal, but don't save it.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:38:22 AM »

Put a dab behind each ear, and I'll follow you anywhere!
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »
I use it in the same meal, but don't save it.

Yep, same here.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »
I don't save chicken fat, but solidified goose fat makes a fine spread on bread. It was a treat at Christmas time when I was a kid.

Wife doesn't like goose and I don't care for duck, so we have a lot of chicken legs and thighs.

BTW, here's a creative use for chicken bones.

If you have the patience to build a flying balsa and tissue model airplane, you can build an Apatosaurus louisae.

I built one a dozen years ago and even as a solo project, it was a lot of fun. BTW, the book has recipes for the meat from the three or four whole chickens you'd need. And then there's all that chicken broth from cooking the chicken down. Nothing goes to waste.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 09:40:08 PM »
I started saving it because dumping it down the drain wasn't really an option and I didn't want to throw it in the trash.  It's amazing how fast that stuff adds up.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:39:20 PM »
I would use chicken fat in my dog's meals; she loved it
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
The dogs here are fat enough. :-)

I think I'm going to use it for frying up some brussel sprout hash.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 05:03:44 AM »
Yuck! Chicken fat is gross. Now save your pork fat and then fry chicken! Thats the good stuff.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

Yep, this is a requirement for good southern cooking. Mmmmm - bacon.